How often do you do it - Change Spark Plugs

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: How often do you do it - Change Spark Plugs

Postby Rocky » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Tool-Roll is a good idea. I carry the few pieces for the car around stuffed tightly in a plastic Plas-chamois case but a Tool-roll sounds a better option.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby taminga16 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Rocky, If you cannot fix it with a screwdriver, a 6, 8, 10, 12 or 14 mm spanner then leave it to someone who can. The reason why the plugs in your car were not tight was because someone had used a torque wrench. If you are considering continuing to DIY look at longer life plugs.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:59 am

taminga16 wrote:The reason why the plugs in your car were not tight was because someone had used a torque wrench.

That's a pretty broad claim. I fail to see how using a torque wrench can cause a problem unless it was misused or the wrong setting was used.

I've used the "by feel" and/or torque wrench methods for spark plugs and wheel nuts/bolts for decades. Never stripped anything or had anything come loose.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:30 am

I've never used a torque wrench on anything until recently. When changing the spark plugs in my cars for the last 40 odd years I've only ever used the "by feel" by hand method to tighten them up and then a socket to just add a smidgen more. Never had any issues. Mechanics always seem to over tighten them just like oil filters. Coming to think of it, I can't ever remember seeing anyone use a torque wrench on plugs when servicing a car, but had those mechanics used one I'd have had a few less issues :wink:

taminga16
Speed Racer

Postby taminga16 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 am

JBT, my post was in reference to Rocky highlighting this "I gave my ex-mechanic some credit for not over-tightening the plugs or coil-overs as everything was easy to undo. What a pleasure". Greg.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:32 pm

I've never had an issue removing spark plugs. I just follow the instructions on the box when installing. No torque wrench required.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Taminga, I'd like to think he used a Torque-wrench but I doubt it, regardless, I give him credit.
One of the reasons I do as much as I can myself is because I have found in the past that the so-called experts often don't do a very good job - witness ex-mechanic breaking the clips on the Coil-over connectors - something I wouldn't have done myself.
I have had so many cases of oil filters, wheel nuts and spark plugs done up so tight I was worried about breaking something on removal.
You are right about the tools - I know my limitations which is why I am only packing a couple of screwdrivers, shifter and pliers.

ianoz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby ianoz » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:26 pm

If you cannot fix it with a screwdriver, a 6, 8, 10, 12 or 14 mm spanner then leave it to someone who can

you forgot the 3 most important tools - duct tape, zip-ties, and fencing wire.... :D
NA6 '89 red, NB8B '01 silver

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 am

Ha! yes - I do have one of each of those in there too, although I suspect it is purely nostalgia on my part.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”