What to look for buying an MX-5 - Which should I buy?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

TurBIce

Re: What To Look For When Buying An MX-5

Postby TurBIce » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks mate

Ill have a look

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Series 1 NB...What to look for? viewtopic.php?f=57&t=50977

Kev05
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Kev05 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks for the information, it is very useful for a novice looking for their first weekend toy.

By the way, can someone recommend a good mechanic (with knowledge in Mx5) on the Northside of Brisbane (btw Everton Park and Northlakes) that could do pre-purchase inspection?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun May 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Kev05 wrote:By the way, can someone recommend a good mechanic (with knowledge in Mx5) on the Northside of Brisbane (btw Everton Park and Northlakes) that could do pre-purchase inspection?

One of our Gold Sponsors: MX5 Plus @ 605 Zillmere Road, Aspley: http://www.mx5plus.com.au/

Good luck with the search & purchase.

vrmmmpshhh
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

What To Look For When Buying An MX-5

Postby vrmmmpshhh » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am

Having had experience at scouring the Japanese car yards looking at cars of the same vintage always make sure you check out the pedals, they're a good indication of how the cars been dríven. Also check the screws around the dash to see if the clusters been removed, used clusters are about $50 in Japan. Check the rear parcel shelf for cut carpet or bolt holes which will indicate a previous rollbar.

LuckyCat
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby LuckyCat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 pm

NA

check for rust front guards top where it bolts on to body.
check boot rear quarter inside for evidence of water entry
check soft top for repairs/holes etc
usual checks for oil leaks
check for evidence of prior repairs/respraying
condition of windscreen
how long has car been doing nothing? alternator may go out to lunch
check battery for secure mounting
check under fuel lid - a car that's been outside a lot it will be covered in crud underneath
check condition of stabiliser bar rubbers
check condition of chassis rails

you could buy the book "Find it Fix it Trick it", which is a good guide in my opinion.

chris

Tallorder
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Tallorder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 pm

This morning I spent a bit of time at a local auction, and noticed an NB series II for sale. Despite relatively low K's, but worn out pedal rubbers I did also notice some water collecting rear of the seats near where the cross/roll bars normally sit. Would such a visible leak be common in a car of this age? Or am I being picky? Is this a common area for water to collect for this model? or would there be any drainage blocked near this area, which is usually more of a straight forward fix? Or should a car with a good roof usually be totally free from any signs of water?

MrRevhead
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Possibly the soft top has been removed at some point and the rain rail has been damaged and/or not been put on properly.

Relatively straight forward fix and at worst the possibility of needing a new rain rail, so factor that in to the final price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by MrRevhead on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 NA6 BRG Limited Edition #124 (Aus Delivered)

de Bounce
Racing Driver

Postby de Bounce » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:46 am

Tallorder wrote:This morning I spent a bit of time at a local auction, and noticed an NB series II for sale. Despite relatively low K's, but worn out pedal rubbers I did also notice some water collecting rear of the seats near where the cross/roll bars normally sit. Would such a visible leak be common in a car of this age? Or am I being picky? Is this a common area for water to collect for this model? or would there be any drainage blocked near this area, which is usually more of a straight forward fix? Or should a car with a good roof usually be totally free from any signs of water?
Common problem is the drains that channel the water from the roof get blocked and overflow onto the rear parcel tray, then pools either into the boot or passenger side floor. http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35601
2011 NC2 PRHT SE in Dolphin Grey
2001 NB8B in Crystal Blue - Sold :(
Motorkhana Video

turntaker
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: RE: Re: What To Look For When Buying An MX-5

Postby turntaker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am

de Bounce wrote:
Tallorder wrote:This morning I spent a bit of time at a local auction, and noticed an NB series II for sale. Despite relatively low K's, but worn out pedal rubbers I did also notice some water collecting rear of the seats near where the cross/roll bars normally sit. Would such a visible leak be common in a car of this age? Or am I being picky? Is this a common area for water to collect for this model? or would there be any drainage blocked near this area, which is usually more of a straight forward fix? Or should a car with a good roof usually be totally free from any signs of water?
Common problem is the drains that channel the water from the roof get blocked and overflow onto the rear parcel tray, then pools either into the boot or passenger side floor. http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35601

The only thing that that is

RBH58
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Re:

Postby RBH58 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

MonSqueek wrote:BEWARE - Allways list ALL modifications on your policy - or they can refuse or reduce a claim (Only exception is JustCar)

Yep. I had a bought a brand new BRZ back in 2014 and ticked "STi Lowering Springs" (a mere 20mm drop) on the options list....but because they were dealer fit (even though it was an authorised Subaru Dealer fitting factory parts) some insurers considered it to be an "after market lowering" and refused to cover the car! Budget Direct being one of the insurance companies that won't cover "lowered cars".

The time you don't want your insurer abandoning you on a "technicality" is when you've just t-boned a Bentley. Always tell your insurer about all of the mods that have been done. No matter how seemingly trivial.
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

paueee
Learner Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Re: What to look for buying an MX-5 - Which should I buy?

Postby paueee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 am

Just found this thread. I also posted this on the sticky on the for sale section.

Instead of starting a new thread, thought it’s better to just ask in this one.

I’m looking to get myself into a ‘16 or ‘17 soft top ND MX5 soon. Really excited actually!

Are there any specific things to look out for when inspecting the car? Any known gearbox issues? Common soft top wear and tear?

I would assume the engine is generally bulletproof given how strong the NA engines are still going strong. So Mazda knows how to make an engine reliable.

Also, during very hot days (35*c and above), can the airconditioning cope with the top up?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:13 am

93_Clubman wrote:Mazda Technical Service Bulletins will give you an idea of some issues: https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/
From what I hear there have been gearbox issues, but I don't know if that applies to both the 1.5 & 2 litre models, which raises the question of which motor you're going for. Also, initial reports were that the auto transmission compared really well the the manual, but I've not heard how that's gone in the longer term.

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 am

With another 5 years of MX5s under my belt I'd now say buy the nicest NA you can. If you can get one with ABS, so much the better. Put NB8B/C brakes, new bushes and good tyres and coilovers on it and get the Flyin' Miata alignment done. If you really feel you must put forced induction on it, 200hp is plenty to make a really tasty NA without having to swap gearboxes, rods etc. Now you'll need a bigger radiator, better hoses, higher pressure rad cap, Water Wetter and a proper coolant temp gauge.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Return to “MX5 General Chat”