Fog Lights On / Off ?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

When do you use your fog lights?

All day long
3%
Only of a night time
11%
Only when required
63%
Never
23%

Total votes: 35

Uncle Arthur
Dodgy Award Benefactor
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT
Location: Doesn't matter where I'm from-it's that your daughter is with me that's the biggest concern :D

Re:

Postby Uncle Arthur » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:27 am

Craig wrote:
fig wrote:So you dont have your foggies on???? :)

Nope...their a WOFTAM as the high beams on an NB8B are more than enough! :)

Seriously Craig - I would have thought the RSPCA would have issues with you keeping the high beams up on your camel?

:shock:

You should be leaving her humps alone while you're driving too - it might distract other motorists. :shock: :mrgreen: :P :?
Founder of the QLD Chapter of the Honourable Brothers of Dodgy.

Benefactor of the Perpetual Dodgy award - Inaugural year 2007.

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 am

I was impressed with the fog lights on my car.....in the fog. They actually work quite well. Totally useless with no fog though. Unless you look at the road 2m in front of the car while your driving.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

nameisdog

Postby nameisdog » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:22 am

I drove my sp23 for more than a year with foggies on. Didn't have any problems with the police.

fig
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby fig » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:46 am

miata wrote:A: It's against the law. ($94 fine) If there is no fog.

What someones perception of "fog" is to someone else may differ, so I'm still trying to understand how the police can enforce this without complications (meaning fighting a fine).

It all seems very unclear (no pun intended) :lol:
Then
10AE (#3062)

Now
'08 Porsche Boxster S modified ;-b
'11 Porsche Cayenne 22's FTW
'78 Porsche 911SC - Old Skool Hotness
'67 Porsche 912 - Fav!

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:54 am

The NSW law says fog and inclement weather. So you can legally use them when it's raining too.

I would have thought getting busted using them on a bright sunny cloudless day would be a bit hard to fight in court fig.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

Richee
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Richee » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:59 am

fig wrote:What someones perception of "fog" is to someone else may differ, so I'm still trying to understand how the police can enforce this without complications (meaning fighting a fine).

Yes perception is a funny thing. If there is no fog then your "fog" lights should be off - I think everyone knows what no fog looks like ( so to speak ) there should be no differences of perception in this regard.

Question though : if my glasses fog up whilst I am driving should I turn my "fog" lights on :lol:
Mazda Tribute - its a boat
Coming - Jayco Eagle wind up camper - woo hoo
Ex cars 2007 NC LE Radiant Ebony, 1990 Eunos Neo Green LE

G M Fude

Postby G M Fude » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:11 am

Over the last 10 years I had two WRXs , a Forester, and currently have a Commodore, and only used the standard fitment foglights in fog i.e. rarely. Both WRX were red, the Forester was a yellow gold, and the Commodore is mid-blue.

But my NB8B MX-5 is silver and on gloomy days when it blends in very well with the grey sky and the road, I use the foglights. They appear to me (when looking back at it while parked) to be more visible than the headlights -- sort of have a bit of a sparkle to them. If I had a red or yellow MX-5 I wouldn't bother with them at all. My colleagues in England call them 'tosser lights', which is a pretty apt description; but if they get a small colourless car like mine noticed on dull days, well, that'll do me.

Hot Rodders
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Hot Rodders » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:21 am

So how come the MX5 is one of the only cars that does not have a rear fog light? Surely in fog it is just as important to be seen by drivers behind you?
Has any one fitted a rear fog light to their MX5 or does mania stock such an item?
Evo, Its not a Dirty Word! Good As Gold.
President Bendigo Gliding Club
www.bendigogliding.org.au

Stu
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Re:

Postby Stu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:30 am

Hot Rodders wrote:So how come the MX5 is one of the only cars that does not have a rear fog light? Surely in fog it is just as important to be seen by drivers behind you?
Has any one fitted a rear fog light to their MX5 or does mania stock such an item?

That is a really good idea

fig
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby fig » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:50 am

Garry wrote:I would have thought getting busted using them on a bright sunny cloudless day would be a bit hard to fight in court fig.

Derr Fred :)

My point is the fine line between what IS "Fog" and what is not.....

Like you said.....rain can or cloudy days could be mis-interpretted as fog???

PS..Stu, how am I going :?:
Then
10AE (#3062)

Now
'08 Porsche Boxster S modified ;-b
'11 Porsche Cayenne 22's FTW
'78 Porsche 911SC - Old Skool Hotness
'67 Porsche 912 - Fav!

Stu
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Stu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:54 am

fig wrote:Like you said.....rain can or cloudy days could be mis-interpretted as fog???

I like your take on Fog, must remember to use that if asked by the Police

sabretooth
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby sabretooth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:01 am

How many people realise that 'white' foglights in actual foggy conditions actually make your vision worse? Kind of like the idiots who put their high beams on in fog - all they're doing is reflecting more light back at themselves. Proper foglights are yellow.

If people insist on using foglights as a substitute for headlights, could you PLEASE get them aimed properly?

Mr_Q
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re:

Postby Mr_Q » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:12 am

Hot Rodders wrote:Surely in fog it is just as important to be seen by drivers behind you?

Fog lights aren't really to make you more visible in fog - your regular lights will do just fine for that (especially the rear red lights, instead of a potentially confusing white light).

The main idea of fog lights is to provide a lower level light source that doesn't reflect off the fog (ever tried using high beams in heavy fog?).
Mister Q
Had: Red 2004 SE, Red 1993 NA8 Clubman, Green 1991 NA6 LE

Stu
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Stu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:45 am

Mr_Q wrote:The main idea of fog lights is to provide a lower level light source that doesn't reflect off the fog (ever tried using high beams in heavy fog?).

Umm.. Yes. Just did it to see why it is not recommended doing it.

Hot Rodders
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Hot Rodders » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:48 am

Mr_Q wrote:
Hot Rodders wrote:Surely in fog it is just as important to be seen by drivers behind you?

Fog lights aren't really to make you more visible in fog - your regular lights will do just fine for that (especially the rear red lights, instead of a potentially confusing white light).

The main idea of fog lights is to provide a lower level light source that doesn't reflect off the fog (ever tried using high beams in heavy fog?).

Totally agree with you. Maybe I should have pointed out that most cars have a rear red light that glows brighter than the tail or brake lights that is incorporated with the front fog lights. Even my Daewoo Lanos has this feature. Has any one put one on their MX or is there something available through Mania on a commercial basis?
Evo, Its not a Dirty Word! Good As Gold.
President Bendigo Gliding Club
www.bendigogliding.org.au

Return to “MX5 General Chat”