Fog Lights On / Off ?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

When do you use your fog lights?

All day long
3%
Only of a night time
11%
Only when required
63%
Never
23%

Total votes: 35

miata
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 2

Re:

Postby miata » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Hot Rodders wrote:
Mr_Q wrote:
Hot Rodders wrote:Surely in fog it is just as important to be seen by drivers behind you?

Fog lights aren't really to make you more visible in fog - your regular lights will do just fine for that (especially the rear red lights, instead of a potentially confusing white light).

The main idea of fog lights is to provide a lower level light source that doesn't reflect off the fog (ever tried using high beams in heavy fog?).

Totally agree with you. Maybe I should have pointed out that most cars have a rear red light that glows brighter than the tail or brake lights that is incorporated with the front fog lights. Even my Daewoo Lanos has this feature. Has any one put one on their MX or is there something available through Mania on a commercial basis?

Far from true. There are very few cars sold in Oz with rear fog lights (thank God). These lights are required in some European countries, by a strange co-incidence, countries that have frequent heavy fog. They are fitted locally only on a couple of Korean cars.
Moderator Qld.
Life Member MX-5 Club of N.S.W. #169
Waiter, I had the soup du jour yesterday and THIS ISN'T IT!

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm

ra, ra, ra........leave the bastards off unless IT IS foggy or pissing down.
If not, you're a poser.

miata
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby miata » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Mr_Q wrote:
Hot Rodders wrote:Surely in fog it is just as important to be seen by drivers behind you?

Fog lights aren't really to make you more visible in fog - your regular lights will do just fine for that (especially the rear red lights, instead of a potentially confusing white light).

The main idea of fog lights is to provide a lower level light source that doesn't reflect off the fog (ever tried using high beams in heavy fog?).

No, the main idea of fog lights and the reason why they are mounted as low as possible, is to illuminate the left edge of the road under the fog as fog usually sits about half a metre off the ground. Low beam and high beam, which are higher mounted, both reflect straight back off the fog, which is the reason why in fog, the fog lights only should be used.
Moderator Qld.

Red Rotor

Postby Red Rotor » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:13 pm

I cant stand idiots who drive around at night with the rear red fog light on, they are a lot brighter than brake lights, and quite frankly, they are bloody dangerous! how do you like driving behind a car with a red spotlight in your face! not only that, because they are brighter than brake lights, you have difficulty seeing the brake lights! those rear red ones should be banned

we simply dont get fog heavy enough to justify their use, they were designed for European condidtions where the fog can get that thick you have difficulty breathing let along seeing the front of your car. condidtions i have never seen in OZ..

as for front ones, wanker value only.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:14 pm

Yes, the light goes below the level of fog illuminating the road.

Otherwise, you're just irritating the crap outta other road users.

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re:

Postby JBT » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:20 pm

bruce wrote:Yes, the light goes below the level of fog illuminating the road.

The beam is also diffused.

miata
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby miata » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:20 pm

JBT wrote:
bruce wrote:Yes, the light goes below the level of fog illuminating the road.

The beam is also diffused.

I know how it feels! :shock:
Moderator Qld.

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:32 pm

Diffused an dabused :D

ma64rk
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby ma64rk » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:31 pm

I never have them on, unless it's overcast, raining and or foggy.
Take the road less traveled...
Silver 01 w/hardtop & stylebars...

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:42 pm

I have them on any time i'm on the road.

If it gets people to notice me. I don't have a problem. especialloy with a small car like the MX5.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:42 pm

On NA's some European cars had a central red fog light screwed on to the bottom of the bumper. On the NB's the fog light replaced one of the rear reverse lights, ie one of the reverse lights was clear like ours and the other side had a red lense that iluminates as the rear fog light.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

Mr_Q
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re:

Postby Mr_Q » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:45 pm

miata wrote:
Mr_Q wrote:The main idea of fog lights is to provide a lower level light source that doesn't reflect off the fog ...

No, the main idea of fog lights and the reason why they are mounted as low as possible, is to illuminate the left edge of the road under the fog as fog usually sits about half a metre off the ground.

Odd ... I'm fairly certain that's what I said. :P :?

In any case, they're not decorations. Turn them off when they're not needed. They're annoying/confusing to oncoming traffic and they make the drivers using them improperly look like twits.

I think the main problem is that the car dealers tend to describe them as "driving lights" and most people don't know what those are for either. :roll: :)
Mister Q
Had: Red 2004 SE, Red 1993 NA8 Clubman, Green 1991 NA6 LE

Casey
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Re:

Postby Casey » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:42 pm

miata wrote:Far from true. There are very few cars sold in Oz with rear fog lights (thank God). These lights are required in some European countries, by a strange co-incidence, countries that have frequent heavy fog. They are fitted locally only on a couple of Korean cars.

Far from true. Every TS series Holden Astra has them, our Lexus (IS series) has them, and most BMWs have them. There are probably countless more. It's just that the drivers of these cars are educated enough to know when and where to use them.

Red Rotor wrote:we simply dont get fog heavy enough to justify their use, they were designed for European condidtions where the fog can get that thick you have difficulty breathing let along seeing the front of your car. condidtions i have never seen in OZ..

Canberra gets plenty of heavy heavy fogs over winter - less then 15m visibility would be the norm. Too many idiots don't turn on any of their lights.
Last edited by Casey on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White SP Image

Benny
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Re:

Postby Benny » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:01 pm

Craig wrote:
Stu wrote:It has always puzzled me, as to why some do and some don't. I prefer the look of them being on.

So do the police...the fines add to their bar tab at the policemans ball! :lol:

According to a policeman I was speaking to once, he said that the NSW Police do not have balls!
Then he suddenly realised what he said when everyone around him started to laugh.
Ever seen a cop with a red face???????

Back to fog lights, I think the English term, Tosser Lights is a very apt one.
When I see a Hyundai in front of me at night with his rear fog light on, I just put on my high beams and try and get them into his/her mirror to give them the shits.
When I pull up next to them at lights, they often give me a dirty look and I wind down the window and tell them that if they have their rear fog light on, I am happy to recipricate with my high beams.
Then they always say "Oh, I didn't know they were on." to which I reply "If you're driving a Hyundai, then obviously you don't know sh*t."

Everyone knows what HYUNDAI stands for don't they?
Hope You Understand, Nothing's Desireable And Inexpensive.
ALWAYS RUNNING, SP with Bilstein Coil Overs and Doof Doof sound. Member of the Fat Bastards Racing Team

Hot Rodders
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Hot Rodders » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:37 pm

Casey wrote:
miata wrote:Far from true. There are very few cars sold in Oz with rear fog lights (thank God). These lights are required in some European countries, by a strange co-incidence, countries that have frequent heavy fog. They are fitted locally only on a couple of Korean cars.

Far from true. Every TS series Holden Astra has them, our Lexus (IS series) has them, and most BMWs have them. There are probably countless more. It's just that the drivers of these cars are educated enough to know when and where to use them.

Red Rotor wrote:we simply dont get fog heavy enough to justify their use, they were designed for European condidtions where the fog can get that thick you have difficulty breathing let along seeing the front of your car. condidtions i have never seen in OZ..

Canberra gets plenty of heavy heavy fogs over winter - less then 15m visibility would be the norm. Too many idiots don't turn on any of their lights.

Yes and it can get quite foggy in Central Victoria. I've had many a slow trip from Bachus Marsh to Bendigo.
Evo, Its not a Dirty Word! Good As Gold.
President Bendigo Gliding Club
www.bendigogliding.org.au

Return to “MX5 General Chat”