Melbourne to Sydney this weekend!

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Ever taken your MX on a long trip?

Melbourne <> Sydney
21%
Melbourne <> Brisbane/GC
8%
Melbourne/Sydney <> Adelaide
4%
Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane <> Perth (!!!!)
13%
Some other long trip? (5+ hours)
29%
Not yet, but I want to!
17%
Nope, this ain't no comfy sedan!
8%
Comparible long/hard track event
No votes

Total votes: 24

Benny
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Benny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:52 pm

What Garry said.
Iv'e done around 800 km in a day, more than once in the 5 and still enjoyed it the next day.
A tip for you.
I have found that by not using bags, and just using the boot as your suitcase, you can fit a lot of luggage in the boot.
Mrs Benny and I just leave the clothes on the hangers, lay them across the boot, and when we arrive, just grab the hangers and hang up the clothes in the motel.
Easy and simple and you can fit in heaps and heaps and I don't have to take out the subwoofer.
ALWAYS RUNNING, SP with Bilstein Coil Overs and Doof Doof sound. Member of the Fat Bastards Racing Team

Juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Juffa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:16 pm

Like many others here I have dríven Melb-Syd-Bris a number of times in the 5.

While less time consuming I have found the Hume hwy very boring, especially with most towns bypassed. I would suggest that you have the time, go at least one way via the Costal Hwy....some very nice sea-side towns on the way.

If you find the seats uncomfortable try rolling a towel and use it as lumbar support.

While I try and drive with the roof down most of the time, I found that in summer that it was too hot and/or too much wind buffeting for more than 2-3 hours. I found roof up and rear window unzipped was a good compromise.

J
Former owner of Mailbu Stacey, Smurfette and Tweety.

kitkat
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby kitkat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:40 pm

I did the trip earlier in the year... Brissy to Tassie via sydney and melbourne. The 9 hour trip between Melbourne and Devonport (tassie) was prob the easiest :P

On the way down from Brissy we travelled along the Newell... in short its a SH!!!T highway, its an extremely poor road.
But the rest was great.

Only 1 hickup on the way down and that was the car over heated... but that was my fault. I forgot to turn the aircon off while over taking a truck, i ended hitting a pretty high speed then a couple mins later i noticed the temp gauge was HOT. Lucky had some bottled water with us!

Would i do it again? well i will next year for the next tassie holliday!

Red Rotor

Postby Red Rotor » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:37 pm

longest trip.
Sydney -> Harvey Bay 1st day, 1400Km
Harvey Bay -> Cairns 2nd day, 1600 Km.

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby NMX516 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:40 pm

I bought my 5 almost two months ago in Sydney... Picked it up one Monday morning, and drove the 1000kms or so home the same day. Just checked the tyres and filled up with petrol twice. Stopped for about 45mins for some tea, and had a couple of short leg stretch breaks at the side of the road for a couple of minutes each. Took about 11.5hrs all up. Car ran perfectly, and returned about 8.5-9l/100kms.

Take a good supply of drinking water, and minties!
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

solo22

Postby solo22 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks for all your replies people.

Feeling much more confident about the run now!

Jus gotta burn some classic hard acid rock and I'm set! :)

SHMBO

Postby SHMBO » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:25 pm

I am planning to drive from ulladulla to bright in November. 670ks in one day travelling with the westfield. we both will be 2 up and I am carring the luggage.

Ben
Fast Driver

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm

ive done sydney to brissie 2 twice and sydney to melbourne once. enjoyed each trip except for the trip home from melbourne. It pissed rain for 7 hours, it was an absolute nightmare

bam

Postby bam » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:48 pm

i drove melb to sydney earlier in the year, got about 600klms per tank without riding truck ass. stupid f**kin alarm beeped over every bump on the way home though till i killed it! :evil:

miata
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby miata » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:40 pm

Sydney - Brisbane (NATMEET), Sydney - Adelaide (twice to visit my Grandkids), Sydney - Melbourne (NATMEET), Sydney -Melbourne - Adelaide (NATMEET),two people for two weeks with all luggage in soft bags. We could have carried a few extra bottles of wine coming back from Adelaide, couldn't we Agro?
All it takes to travel in an MX-5 is intelligent packing.
Moderator Qld.
Life Member MX-5 Club of N.S.W. #169
Waiter, I had the soup du jour yesterday and THIS ISN'T IT!

solo22

Postby solo22 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:17 am

Well, I'm baaaaaack.

And let me tell you (as if you did'nt know already) that the MX5 is an awesome motor vehicle! :)

Got about 600klms per tank (even got to try that fancy 100 octane 5% ethanol \"racing\" fuel you Sydney siders have!)

Only advice I can give people - fill up your windscreen wiper tank often! And with soapy stuff if possible. Bug massacre!!!

As for mechanicals, I did notice ALOT of transmission noise when the car was hot and had dríven hundreds of klm's (went away with clutch in) but its fine now.

Overall VERY happy with car's performance! Comfort was fine although cruise control would of been nice!

I'd recommend EVERYBODY take their MX out for a nice long drive

I'm SURE mine is running better now, just seems \"zippier\" after the trip, I guess alot of gunk got cleaned out. Oil looks pretty bad now thou ;)

Andrew
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Melbourne to Sydney this weekend!

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:24 am

MonSqueek wrote:Trucks are your friend if your not in a rush and are a confident driver.

I took my UHF radio and chatted to them all the way down the Hume on my last visit to Sydney a few weeks ago 8)

Return to “MX5 General Chat”