Leaving your car unlocked...

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Leaving your car unlocked overnight.

Yes... Let them sit in your car.
21%
No... Go and buy a hardtop.
79%

Total votes: 19

vak82
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Leaving your car unlocked...

Postby vak82 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi All,

Tonight, I'm going to leave my car parked outside on the street overnight. This will be my first time and I'm a little concerned that somebody will try to break in.

Since it's stock with no car alarm, I was considering leaving the doors unlocked (so they don't slash the roof) with all the compartments opened and empty to show that there's nothing worth taking. Does anybody think this is a good idea or am I being silly again?

Any advise on the situation will be much appreciated.
NA6T = Playtime | NC = Snooze

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:38 pm

what area?

it's a very american thing to do though.

i myself just leave the glovebox/centre console/ashtray open & take the headunit face with me leaving the car locked.

Philip Lee
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby Philip Lee » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:44 pm

SuperMazdaKart wrote:i myself just leave the glovebox/centre console/ashtray open & take the headunit face with me leaving the car locked.

this is what i'd do too.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:45 pm

Inner city living ... It's never locked. At night I leave the roof up so no one throws up in it. If it doesn't look like rain then I leave the windows down a few inches to help them see they don't need to slash it to get in. There's nothing in it worth taking. The immobilser and alarm are on. You can only open the boot with a key. So far no problems.
’95 NA8

anko7990

Postby anko7990 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:42 pm

I use to live in Newtown on the same street as St Peters train station and in the span of a year I had no problems with the car on the street. Maybe i was lucky, but anyways don't you guys have insurance? I wouldn't spend the night worrying about something that might possibly happen. If the unfortunate happens then insurance will take the sting out.

vak82
Fast Driver

Postby vak82 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:46 pm

Thanks for all your replies guys. I'm gonna go out and finalize the car now before I sleep. I do have insurance but I would prefer not to make a claim if I can help it. Worst comes to worst, I might just have to :)

SuperMazdaKart , I'm on the South side of the city. Don't get any funny ideas now :P :D.

G'night guys.
NA6T = Playtime | NC = Snooze

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:50 am

I'm sure it will have been fine. I always left my car unlocked (but then I really only ever parked at work or at home in the carport) but some moronic scum still slashed the roof to break in only to not find anything :evil:

FoxForceFive
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re:

Postby FoxForceFive » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:52 am

anko7990 wrote:I use to live in Newtown on the same street as St Peters train station and in the span of a year I had no problems with the car on the street. Maybe i was lucky, but anyways don't you guys have insurance? I wouldn't spend the night worrying about something that might possibly happen. If the unfortunate happens then insurance will take the sting out.

Me too, I lived right near St Peters Station...Never had a problem.
Then - '92 White NA6- '89 Red NA6- '96 BRG LE NA8- '95 Laguna '91 Italia No:42 NA6
Now - Looking for a nice NA

cherub

leaving car unlocked

Postby cherub » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:11 am

Hi there, I know how you feel as just got back from Forster and the hoodlums were on the prowl till about 2am and of course I was up keeping an eye on the MX and when I voiced my concerns to the Motel manager, he assured me that they don't come onto the property but just to be sure he allowed me to park it in his garage. The wife said not to worry as it will be fine and when you think about it, that is all you can do, be positive, and hope to christ she is right. :roll:

FoxForceFive
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: leaving car unlocked

Postby FoxForceFive » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 am

cherub wrote:Hi there, I know how you feel as just got back from Forster and the hoodlums were on the prowl till about 2am and of course I was up keeping an eye on the MX and when I voiced my concerns to the Motel manager, he assured me that they don't come onto the property but just to be sure he allowed me to park it in his garage. The wife said not to worry as it will be fine and when you think about it, that is all you can do, be positive, and hope to christ she is right. :roll:

We used to have a place at forster.....If you are just back from the Lake it its shocking- you are right near the housing commision area, its always been a bit of a problem with car break in's around there. Dont belive the hotel manager- they take any oportunity they can- often they are only kids of about 11 years old. :roll:
Then - '92 White NA6- '89 Red NA6- '96 BRG LE NA8- '95 Laguna '91 Italia No:42 NA6
Now - Looking for a nice NA

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 am

In NSW it is illegal to leave an unattended car unlocked. Technically you should even lock your car before you go to pay for your fuel at the servo. If the insurance company cant find any evidence of forced entry then you may have insurance issues in the event of a claim as well. Lock the doors and leave all the storage areas open and empty.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:44 am

That is the silliest thing I've heard. Get an alarm.

I'm coming around tonight to TAKE the whole car.

AJ
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby AJ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:57 pm

i agree with bruce.......leave it unlocked so they just have to knock it out of gear & tow it away???..........i'd rather suffer a slashed roof thanks :roll:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often
XMX5 Rogues

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:04 pm

So lock the doors so they can slash the roof (or smash a window) and still tow it away? If they want the car they're going to get it.

My car had an alarm, a monitored alarm in fact. They still slashed the roof and rumaged around inside in the less than two minutes that it took me to get a call and be at the car. Think locked doors would've made a difference (given they obviously didn't even check anyway)? I'll also mention the car was parked directly in front of the main door of the building where staff come and go all day.

PUR157
Racing Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Re:

Postby PUR157 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:08 pm

AJ wrote: ...so they just have to knock it out of gear & tow it away???..........i'd rather suffer a slashed roof thanks :roll:

But... if they slash the roof... cant they do that anyway?

I think the best $$$ you can spend on a car is a good security system and insurance policy :mrgreen: But im sure the latter is easier said (and dreamt) than done...

On a slightly related note... is there any sort of hardtop security for our hardtop using MX5ers??
I've been driving around with the tin roof because of the crap weather down here... but if people break in anyway (through the window)... cant they just unclip and run (or... struggle) away with the roof??

They are worth quite a few pennies after all... :|
Oneness of Man and Machine

Return to “MX5 General Chat”