Leaving your car unlocked...

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Leaving your car unlocked overnight.

Yes... Let them sit in your car.
21%
No... Go and buy a hardtop.
79%

Total votes: 19

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 pm

From the Qld Transport road rules website:

\"Securing a vehicle

When leaving a vehicle a driver must properly secure the vehicle by:

turning off the engine
applying the handbrake
removing the ignition key if no-one 16 years of age or over is remaining in the vehicle
locking the doors if no-one is remaining in the vehicle.

A driver has 'left' a vehicle when he or she is more than three metres away from it.

Last updated 12 October 2006\"

Hmmmmmm........ :|

Adam_NAclubman
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re:

Postby Adam_NAclubman » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:33 pm

bruce wrote:Your insurance company is going to be very suspicious when they find your car totally stripped and the door locks weren't forced.

IT'S A F***ING CONVERTIBLE, YOU COULD GET INTO A SOFT-TOP MX5 IN THREE SECONDS WITH A KNIFE WITHOUT FORCING THE LOCKS.

If my NA was parked with the rear window down, roof unclipped, glovebox and centre console both open and empty, and AJ's NC was parked next to it, locked up tight, console and glovebox closed, then yeah, theyre going to get into my car first. But theyre not going to break anything in the process, and theyre not going to steal anything. Then they're going to smash AJ's windows or slash his thousand dollar soft top to discover that theres nothing in his car either.

If someone wants to vandalise a car, they'll do it, roof up or down, doors locked or unlocked, makes no difference. If they want to steal a car, then yeah the unlocked one might go in preference to the locked one, but its either going to get burnt or stripped anyway. But the ones that want to steal stuff out of your car want to be in and out with a minimum of fuss and noise, and if its open and empty they'll be in and out then on to the next car

AJ
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby AJ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:43 pm

it's not about the process adam, it's the end result............gettting compensation because some scumbag who doesn't deserve to draw oxygen trashed you car & you have to replace it because it'll never be the same to you again.......my car is locked, roof up...........not giving the insurance company an out :)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often
XMX5 Rogues

Alex
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Alex » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:36 pm

Adam_NAclubman wrote:
bruce wrote:Your insurance company is going to be very suspicious when they find your car totally stripped and the door locks weren't forced.

IT'S A F***ING CONVERTIBLE, YOU COULD GET INTO A SOFT-TOP MX5 IN THREE SECONDS WITH A KNIFE WITHOUT FORCING THE LOCKS.

If my NA was parked with the rear window down, roof unclipped, glovebox and centre console both open and empty, and AJ's NC was parked next to it, locked up tight, console and glovebox closed, then yeah, theyre going to get into my car first. But theyre not going to break anything in the process, and theyre not going to steal anything. Then they're going to smash AJ's windows or slash his thousand dollar soft top to discover that theres nothing in his car either.

If someone wants to vandalise a car, they'll do it, roof up or down, doors locked or unlocked, makes no difference. If they want to steal a car, then yeah the unlocked one might go in preference to the locked one, but its either going to get burnt or stripped anyway. But the ones that want to steal stuff out of your car want to be in and out with a minimum of fuss and noise, and if its open and empty they'll be in and out then on to the next car

hate to say this but some people do this just for fun and if they see an unlocked car it just means no alarm for them so they have longer to try and break everything,

why do people key other peoples cars??? to steal the paint???

also some cars are stolen for spare parts, if I wanted new seats and you had your doors unlocked it would take me less than 4 minutes (leaving one minute per bolt) also applies to steering wheel, door trims, probably centre console as well and if anyone walks past as if they will say anything unless they know who the car belongs to it's just someone working on their car right no alarms are going off so it must belong to them
Red NB8A - BD rollbar - Hardtop

bruce
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:35 am

Adam_NAclubman wrote:

1. Insurance company won't pay your policy if your car is not 'secured'. They get in by slashing the roof - insurance has no problem.
2. You need to be carrying a knife first, which the police don't really approve of.

I repeat, leaving your car unlocked is the stupidest thing I've heard for a while.

bruce
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:38 am

anko7990 wrote: I wouldnt be stealing a second hand NA or NB mx5 but rather something more expensive with wider appeal.

Very good point. That is the purpose of Dunny-dores and Fowl-cans.

apsilon

Re:

Postby apsilon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 am

bruce wrote:2. You need to be carrying a knife first, which the police don't really approve of.

Mabe not. I don't think my roof was actually cut as such. The edge was too jagged and the alarm triggered from shock first then door opening. I think they may have punched through it or used something like a sharp key etc.

GP
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby GP » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:45 am

Really I can't see why this is even being discussed. The simple answer is NOT to leave it in the street. If you have to leave it out then sell it and get a shitbox :lol:
Graham

ndragun
Fast Driver

Postby ndragun » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:55 pm

I'm here to report that thieves don't exist in my area...
After spending all day yesterday pouring my driveway, I staggered into my house, drank a cleansing quantity of beer and at some indeterminate time later fell asleep...

Accidentally left the car unlocked out on the road all night with my wallet sitting on the passenger seat.

It was all still there this morning...
1994 MX5 Clubman
Jenvey ITBs, ported head, Kelford 203-D cams, stock-ish bottom end, Maxim Works header, MS2
XIDAs, Wilwoods, 6ULs

RaYmO
Racing Driver

Re:

Postby RaYmO » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:53 pm

ndragun wrote:I'm here to report that thieves don't exist in my area...
After spending all day yesterday pouring my driveway, I staggered into my house, drank a cleansing quantity of beer and at some indeterminate time later fell asleep...

Accidentally left the car unlocked out on the road all night with my wallet sitting on the passenger seat.

It was all still there this morning...

It could be that the thieves weren't in your area last night... most of them have social lives too!

This is a very "tree falling in the woods" approach to securing your possessions.

ndragun
Fast Driver

Re:

Postby ndragun » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:08 pm

RaYmO wrote:This is a very "tree falling in the woods" approach to securing your possessions.

What - as in "if a thief steals the wallet sitting on my passenger seat and doesn't make a sound - did it happen at all?"

So it may have been stolen last night after all.....

Or do you mean a "schroedingers cat" approach to securing my possessions?

:lol:
1994 MX5 Clubman
Jenvey ITBs, ported head, Kelford 203-D cams, stock-ish bottom end, Maxim Works header, MS2
XIDAs, Wilwoods, 6ULs

RaYmO
Racing Driver

Postby RaYmO » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 pm

Hmmm not what I had in mind but it was close!

JSE
Racing Driver

Postby JSE » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:59 pm

it all comes down to luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time i think.

bruce
Speed Racer

Re:

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:21 pm

JSE wrote:it all comes down to luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time i think.

O-P-P-O-R-T-U-N-I-T-Y

Alex
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re:

Postby Alex » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:33 pm

ndragun wrote:Or do you mean a "schroedingers cat" approach to securing my possessions?
:lol:

:shock: first year uni physics
Red NB8A - BD rollbar - Hardtop

Return to “MX5 General Chat”