General Forum Members Age?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

General age of forum members?

under 20
4%
20 to 30
34%
30 to 40
18%
40 to 50
16%
50 to 60
16%
60+
12%

Total votes: 189

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: General Forum Members Age?

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:02 pm

Facebook big deal. Forums are the real repository of useful info. FB is flash in the pan stuff. Each have their uses.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Face book is great for parts. Until they have destroyed fleabay. And then the carving will start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

madmort
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby madmort » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 pm

One of those age groups in the Poll is wrong. Not on purpose mind you, but I did lie, by mistake really , maybe couldn't help it. But that age group that's closest to death should have one more in it. Me. :frown: Please adjust accordingly.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:42 am

well....its not going to make a different. the great majority was done 10 years ago. most of us have moved into the next age group.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 am

Forums are still the go-to IMO for solid knowledge, you just have to be willing to search, research and ask informed questions when needed.

FB is about instant gratification. The same questions get asked by new people everyday (oil, hardtop, suspension, wheels & tyres). The knowledge doesn't accumulate, and often the misinformed speak the loudest, circulating bad knowledge. Good for groups, sharing stories, organising meets, and buying and selling.

But for a true community and a knowledgeable resource, you can't beat a good forum. Between mx5cartalk, miata.net and miataturbo.net I've got a pretty good spread of information based on different communities around MX-5s.

Some forums are dying off, we are here. We're a small group. I think all of us who are still around need to make more of an effort to contribute to discussions, to welcome new members, to encourage each other and keep the conversation alive. Even just small platitudes and words of encouragement, or inconsequential stories about a drive you went on, or a small maintenance or mod on the car, will help keep this forum alive!

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:57 am

Facebook groups are terrible. No archived knowledge, no sticky-ed threads, just the same basic questions over and over with answers that are unfindable within 24 hours.
I don't think it is a flash in the pan, however, it is here to stay. Hopefully it is updated over time to have some sort of forum functionality.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:55 pm

I'm a caveman, I don't use FB or anything like it. I'm happy doodling pictures on the walls of my cave (they look like little MX5s).

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Yes, you are right ML, Forums have a unique role but do require a bit of effort to maintain - just like relationships in your 'real life'.
It's good to get some discussion going, argument even, as long as it stays respectful - the way it would if you were face-to-face with someone.
The rude and bad-mannered people usually don't become long-term Members. They just arrive, do their damage and move on to upset people elsewhere, meanwhile long-term people decide they don't need to cop that 5h1t and cease to participate. As a Forum we can't afford this.
For the Forum to work it is necessary for Members to contribute - threads and posts - and to share a bit of their personality and life with others.
The 'age data' collected is interesting and makes me wonder if the proportions have changed much in the 15 years I have been here.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm

bruce wrote:I'm a caveman, I don't use FB or anything like it. I'm happy doodling pictures on the walls of my cave (they look like little MX5s).

Bruce, just post some pictures of your doodles occasionally.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

smy0003
Racing Driver

Postby smy0003 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Rocky wrote:
bruce wrote:I'm a caveman, I don't use FB or anything like it. I'm happy doodling pictures on the walls of my cave (they look like little MX5s).

Rather not see Bruce's doodle :lol:
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 am

madmort wrote:One of those age groups in the Poll is wrong. Not on purpose mind you, but I did lie, by mistake really , maybe couldn't help it. But that age group that's closest to death should have one more in it. Me. :frown: Please adjust accordingly.
Since it was 10 years ago. I think you'll find the whole poll is incorrect. We are all 10 plus years older. :lol:

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 am

smy0003 wrote:Facebook groups are terrible. No archived knowledge, no sticky-ed threads, just the same basic questions over and over with answers that are unfindable within 24 hours.
I would totally agree.

FB group have killed off forums. Which I think is a shame as forums hold the knowledge better. Many forums have already died. So good this MX5 one has survived.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:58 pm

smy0003 wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Rather not see Bruce's doodle :lol:

Oh, ok (as I press delete on the phone camera pics I just took)...... HA!

lonesailor
Fast Driver

Postby lonesailor » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm 72 next week, drive an NA8, as a toy car and do 10k km PA, do all my own R&M, feel 30 and would do trackdays if money wasn't quite so tight. The Qld. club would, by those who engage in runs and social events appear to me to have an average age of 50-60 and most of us behave like we are >30

Return to “MX5 General Chat”