General Forum Members Age?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

General age of forum members?

under 20
4%
20 to 30
34%
30 to 40
18%
40 to 50
16%
50 to 60
16%
60+
12%

Total votes: 189

KeithG

Postby KeithG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi Another Mr Old here, just turned 64.Still working intend to do so for another 6 years.( Not hard work selling cars just long hours)

matt9111
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby matt9111 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:22 pm

I turned 22 yesterday :)
Great looking 02 BLACK NB8B, Tein S Tech Coils, Whiteline Adjustable Sways F&R, Carbing Alloy Rear Strut Brace ;)

Crapweasel
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Crapweasel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:53 pm

The age on here is also more indicative of the age group that is interested in being on forums such as this one - there are many people around my age that I know of who wouldn't think of spending time on a forum as they don't know about them - let alone browsing the internet for such a forum.

If you have a look at the average age of the attendees at a function such as a Sunday run, or a Nat Meet, I think you'd find the figures to be very different to the poll here :wink:
NA6 - The Slow And The Curious... Roundabout Drift

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 am

Crapweasel wrote:If you have a look at the average age of the attendees at a function such as a Sunday run, or a Nat Meet, I think you'd find the figures to be very different to the poll here :wink:

I suggest if you look at the figures from one of our club runs and Natmeet you'll see a dramatic difference.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Garry
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Garry » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:14 am

Which poses the next question, where are all the 20-30yo's on club runs?

The MX5 driver age thing is an interesting one. You would expect there to be lots of older folk in MX5's. They have the financial ability to be able to afford to own a toy car for sunny weekends. The entry price for an MX5 has always been in the $30-50K range which would put off a lot of younger folk. They also dont have any kids so dont need a back seat. However, now that used NA's are available for $<10k there is an upsurge in the <25yo crowd as people can now afford to buy them for their first or second car. Having 2 seats is off putting to some however as they are seen as a selfish car with no room for their mates. So they aren't as popular with young people as some other models. Then as people get older there is a need for rear seats and a bigger boot as people start to have families so the MX5 makes way for something more family based.
Last edited by Garry on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shiney black one with added red bits. Member of the fart club. Now with extra doof and Sunlong. - deceased and gone to heaven

sliq
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby sliq » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:14 am

Garry wrote:Which poses the next question, where are all the 20-30yo's on club runs?

they come to the "unofficial" runs, not the club runs :)
i can't brain today.. i have the dumb..

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:08 pm

Garry raises some good points about the obvious restrictions with MX5's and how this might affect certain age groups. Motorcycles have also drawn middle aged riders for the mlc and there may certainly be some connection with later model 5's for the same reason. I see a lot of lady drivers in the 30-50 age group but there is no science to my observations.
Crapweasel's perspective on forums is also an interesting one- who knows how is affects votes?

MX5 clubs may also not offer quite what younger people want or what they are attracted to. The social runs may be too slow and being single may distance them from mortgage payers and people moving away from a single life style . Of course if you cater for the younger set then the risk is there for the others to drift away from Club events. Clubs are more than just Natmeets.

Alex
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Alex » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:40 pm

sliq wrote:
Garry wrote:Which poses the next question, where are all the 20-30yo's on club runs?

they come to the "unofficial" runs, not the club runs :)

+1
I'm still not a club member
Red NB8A - BD rollbar - Hardtop

RG.net
Racing Driver

Postby RG.net » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 pm

People that have half an idea about cars, and what the MX-5's are capable of, tend to sway past the whole 2 seater thing.

Still, i am quite suprised of this poll, i was expecting the general group to be alot more mature. As mentioned, none of us attend the club runs (i have a few times, when i went you could count the youngans that attended on one hand), dont know why though.
http://Run-It-Hard.com - We're here to have fun!

psquire45
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby psquire45 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:35 pm

well perhaps all us "younguns" should go to one of the club runs ?
1998 NB MX5, AVO turbo kit, Adaptronic plug'n'play, RX8 440cc injectors, Fm Brace, DBA cross drilled brakes, cusco rollbar Pedders springs

16bit
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A - Supercharged

Postby 16bit » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:49 pm

25. there is more of us on the internets because we know how to use it. :mrgreen:
98 evo gold - rotrexed and loving it.

This post has been printed using recycled pixels

Red Dragon
Racing Driver

Postby Red Dragon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:57 pm

At the Victorian MX5 Club runs we usually get a good mixture from all age groups.

Us old buggers know about computers ( Green means ring - Red means hang up ) oops! that's my mobile phone. :lol:

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Red Dragon wrote:At the Victorian MX5 Club runs we usually get a good mixture from all age groups...

Same in W.A., I guess both Matty and I were Presidents at fairly young ages. Our clubs seem to cater more for the young and young at heart, yet I know there's still a cardigan element that don't see the benefit of designing events to also suit younger members. I bought this up at the Natmeet presidents meeting and was dismissed by the meeting chair, my comments were also omitted from the minutes of the meeting.

Many moons ago I had another state president that told me they deliberately tried to "get rid of younger drivers with loud stereos" from their events, i'm glad that club has been making drastic changes.

Personally I was very grateful for the support and guidance I had from the more senior members of our club when I joined, I only hope that I can provide the same for new members of our club.

I know my comments re the Natmeet Presidents meeting will piss some people off but it's a topic i'm passionate about and I hope that people with a similar passion get involved in the committees of their respective MX-5 clubs and help make sure that their feelings are known.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Old Dude
Racing Driver

Postby Old Dude » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Okibi I agree with you, whether your old or young we drive these cars because we love what they are about, and to my way of thinking that should be what the clubs are about, bringing people together that have common interests.

So the musics a bit louder, turn down your hearing aid :D or drop back a few 100 meters :lol: and enjoy your car..!!!

Regards
Old Dude 8)
"Everybody dies......, but not everybody lives" ;-)

MX 5 2001 Grace Green
NB8B

NMX516
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby NMX516 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Often younger guys and girls don't attend club runs because they have other things on most weekends. Who wants to get home from a night on the town at 3am, and then have to be up at anything before approx mid day to go on a club run?! The unofficial runs are more popular with that age group because, amongst perhaps a few other reasons, they are at a time that suits better.

Our club runs are these days well attended, but amongst the group there are often folks who just want to dawdle along and admire the scenery, when others want to just go for a drive. Attend a few runs where the pace of some attendees is bordering on pedestrian, coupled with the run 'rules' of no overtaking, and the novelty very quickly wears off for those out for a good old fashioned drive on some fun roads. We used to split groups on club runs into "faster" and "slower" but that got quashed because it was seen as encouraging speeding in the faster group. The point of that idea was missed entirely, and now we all have to go as slowly as the slowest car, even if that means 20km/hr under the speed limit.... :evil: :roll: End of mini rant, as you were :)
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”