SP Owners - New List

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

rooboo
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Re: SP Owners - New List

Postby rooboo » Tue May 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Bear,

thanks for the reply - I don't know if the guy was on the list, his name was Michael. I am in Melb, Vic if that helps.

I did take the airbox completely off and the exact hand engravings are as stated below (without quotation marks);

"P/N-NBP2-13-320"
"J/N P0001"

P/N could be a Part Nnumber I would say
J/N could be a Job Number

Any insights into the 'build no' from these?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed May 25, 2016 12:58 pm

rooboo wrote:I don't know if the guy was on the list, his name was Michael. I am in Melb, Vic if that helps.

Sounds like you bought the silver SP that was located at South Yarra advertised on Carsales.com.

There was an old detailed post with pics about identifying SP build numbers on this forum, but not sure if it still exists-will have a look this arvo.

There was also discussion in the past about SP build numbers 1 & 3 (from memory) in terms of the airbox or part of the airboxes being swapped over with each other-will also have a look for that this arvo.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu May 26, 2016 3:42 pm

rooboo wrote:How do I determine the build number exactly?
[Airbox] Numbers are "P/N-NBP2-13-320" and "J/N P0001"
Also heard re the ECU [numbers]

J/N # is supposed to be build # - apparently only the first few had a build # on the ECU - ECU #s you quoted appear to be the usual NB8B ECU #s, except possibly for the last alphanumeric, which might be meaningful to ChipTorque in SE QLD who rechipped the SP ECUs.
Also, here's some clarification re build #s 1 & 3 having airbox top & bottoms mixed up:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25536&p=591418#p591418
And some other SP stuff in case you've not already seen it:
http://www.mx5cartalk.com/SP_SE_Comparison/
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=57730
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=70385

rooboo
Learner Driver

Postby rooboo » Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 am

Hi Clubman,

Yes I brought the one in South Yarra. I swapped cars with a friend for a weekend about 10 years ago. They had a black SE and they wanted my Ford Explorer 2002 for a 4 person road trip (don't laugh as an SUV with a sweet sounding and accelerating 4.6 litre V8 and a 5 speed auto that drove more like a car, I loved it ... except for the impending maintenance bills I knew would come one day for a low volume US import). I didn't get out of that car for the whole weekend and swore I would buy one one day. The handling was just brilliant, and I do like the look of those Hart Wheels.

Anyhow back to the current day and after a long weekend and a test drive of an SE at a dealer I said right time to finally buy. I usually seek an as original, well treated car as possible so one evening prior to flying interstate to test drive a couple of SE's to find that ellusive car I said hey there is this SP model here in my own city - why not just have a look - so I did. And you know that feeling when something just speaks to you - well this car did. And I love a sleeper. Still flew interstate but called him back from there and did the deal - I had hardly dríven the car or checked it out - turns out my gut was right (so far). All original service & purchase documents. Timing belt done - check, clutch replaced early on (maybe due to shudder issue I had read about elsewhere), exhaust flange bolts replaced, air compressor replace a year or so ago. Just a nice 100% original car and everything works. The guy I brought it from was the second owner of 12 years and fortunately had the resources to look after the car, he was not an particular MX5 enthusiast, just loved the car.

Oh and another comment - hmm I wish they had put an LSD in the SP's like the SE's - now I truely understand their function, aids the handling/balance a lot I would say.

Anyhow sorry back on topic. Thanks for the info - I read the posts, and focus on the one below and I quote;

The only SP's with "official" numbers were the the 3 prototype cars. They have a number sequence engraved onto their ECU. All SP's have a number engraved on their airbox.

Anything else: It was the 3rd SP built and it was built to do the motorshow rounds. I first saw it when it was up on a podium with it's hardtop on at the Sydney Motorshow late in 2001. It was also used as the model in the SP brochure. Little did I know while I was drooling at the Motorshow that in a bit over 12 months it would be mine. I originally thought it was the first car built because my airbox lid has PP0001 engraved on it, but my lid had been swapped with another car and the base of the airbox has PP0003 engraved on it. I later found out it was actuallly the 3rd car built and that was backed up by the number engraved on the ECU.

Hey Garry, guess I can resolve a bit of this mystery for you - my airbox is PP0001, and the lid is PP0003... our cars have been up to no good... :shock: :lol: :shock:

Let me know if you want to re-unite your original lid... it isn't a big deal to me as the airbox is in the shed. Funny, I had never looked at the base of the airbox before Sean posted his picture. I had checked for the lid number ages ago when it was first mentioned. When I feel like braving the cold, I might even uncover the ECU to confirm if mine is indeed the real number 1!

From what I can deduce from the above the cars you are talking about are possibly PP i.e. Pre-Production builds with PP001 and PP003 on the air boxes and probably a number on the ECU. My car only has a number on the airbox base J/N0001 and nothing on the lid, and also nothing engraved on the ECU. Do I potentially have build no. 1 of production, but obviously not the first built if there are 3 pre production cars? If so were there 3 PP and 97 (or 98) production models or ? The Japan build date plate is October 2001 and the Australian compliance is January 2002 (sorry in my eyes I count the build date as the car model year date hence 2001 model, not compliance date ... but that is a topic for another place I'm sure, and I am happy to be proved wrong but when I buy cars new or second hand its the build date I look at).

Photos of my ECU and airbox base are as below.

Anyhoo I must be bored as I have written an essay almost - just a bit of an intro to me and this car and hopefully helps add to the history and any debates.

PS I noticed you all seam to be able to post your cars and photos at the bottom as a form of signature - haven't figured that part out yet so this will have to do

2006 Citroen Berlingo 1.4 0-100 km/h 17.5 s (declared by factory), 1/4 mile drag time (402 m) 19.5 s
2001 MX5 SP unknown

P5232776.JPG

P5232781.JPG

P5232780.JPG

P5232785.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri May 27, 2016 11:47 am

Small sticker on ECU isn't normally on NB8B ECUs, so as mentioned believe this was added by ChipTorque. There have been a number of SP owners lists over the years on here so it might be worth trawling through them for more info if no one else chips in.

bigdog
King of the kennel

Postby bigdog » Fri May 27, 2016 1:00 pm

I think it's reasonably well established that the air box number bears no relation to the build order, the airboxes were engraved away from the cars. Nobody knows when their SP was built, apart from the prototype cars. We use the air box numbers simply as an identifier.
Marvin - '02 Silver SP - BD, PSS9, Guru, Build #62 Cardomain

rooboo
Learner Driver

Postby rooboo » Sun May 29, 2016 8:06 am

Hi Big Dog,

I personally don't disagree with you, that an airbox number is potentially not a good indication of a build no. (or build order), unless there is some knowledge that clarify's this as so. In any modern manufacturing environment many parts have identifable and traceable numbers and cars can be identified as to exactly when they are built, especially on limited runs or special builds. I can't comment on what systems and records were kept back in 2001/2 by Prodrive or whoever built these cars. But after trolling through many of the posts on this site, it was indicating to me that the airbox number was the build 'whatever'. I had wrongly assumed that due to the interest shown in these models on here, that someone might have had this issue sorted by now. Apparently not. All I can now deduce is that there were possibly 3 cars with PP0001 to PP0003 on both the top and bottom parts of the airbox, 2 of which appeared to have been mixed up between 2 cars (unless there was no intention for these 2 numbers to ever need to meet up during the build).

Hence on that note I accept that I am the proud owner of an airbox with some sort of number 'P0001' on it and update the list on your basis as follows;

1. RobH - Sunlight Silver - 5 years
2. Hammer - Sunlight Silver - 8 years
3. HJT - Sunlight Silver - 2 years
4. Benny - Sunlight Silver - 8 years
5. Bigdog - Sunlight Silver - #62 - 10 years- purchased 2005.
6. fredbearoz - Black - 3 years
7. RT- Ex love5 - Classic Red - #97 - Going strong!
8. Garry - Brilliant Black - purchased December 2002 (PP 003) - murdered by a bus July 2015
9. Dave - Supreme Blue - 7 years
10. Daz - Sunlight Silver - 8 years
11. Cruisin' - Grace Green - 4 years (66)
12. Locutus - Brilliant Black - purchased May 2010 (32)
13. wreckless eric - sunlight silver - 3 years (47)
14. Peter Howe - Classic Red - 7 years
15. Techno - Supreme Blue - 8 years
16. Bear 2230- Sunlight Silver - Purchased 2010 (53)
17. Snow White - Pure White - purchased March, 2005
18. Caedrus - Brilliant Black - 3 1/2 years.
19. Marty - Sunlight Silver - 6 years
20. green_comet - SP Supreme Blue
21. Mr B - SP race car - Sunlight silver
22. BadBong - Brilliant Black - 8 damn scary hours in the wet...
23. Darbs - Sunlight Silver - June 2002 to March 2005 - Wrecked.
24. Crazy Frog - Sunlight Silver - 6 years
25. BULLITT- Sunlight Silver - Purchased March 2014 from previous forumite Ozminator.
26. Chops -Sunlight Silver (#9) - Feb 2016 from NASilverstone
27. Tezzax5 - Crystal Blue - Purchased 2008
28. thehillsarecalling - Brilliant Black - Purchased June 2014, sold April 2015 to local SA owner (#55)
29. nhouison - Brilliant Black - August 2014
30. Geordie - Pure White - Purchased September 2014
31. Erska - sunlight silver - 14 months.
32. Tim_cyc03 -
33. The Green Goblin - supreme blue - 1 year... mad.
34. kriscafc - Sunlight Silver - Purchased August 2015
35. Tomli123001 (#31) - Brilliant Black - Purchased Oct 2015
36. bmchi - brilliant black - 2 years
37. rooboo - sunlight silver - purchased May 2016 (#1)

and I do not know then what airbox owners PP0001, 2 & 3 should state ... and whether they should use the base or lid no. or hey maybe even the ECU engraved number.

rooboo
Learner Driver

Postby rooboo » Sun May 29, 2016 8:19 am

I can propose a system to use maybe as an identifier but not a build order or build number, pending further info or no solution. The only common thing among all is hopefully an engraved number on the airbox base. System could be;

(PP1, PP2) - earlier cars use PP1, PP2 & PP3 and use the number on the base (forget ECU and top airbox numbers)
(P1, P2 etc.) later cars use P1, P2 etc.

If an airbox is not on the car, but still in procession quote the number.
If the airbox is lost, damaged, or replaced and unknown then quote nothing or (--)

Alfadog
Fast Driver

Postby Alfadog » Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 am

7. RT- Ex love5 - Classic Red - #97 - Going strong!
8. Garry - Brilliant Black - purchased December 2002 (PP 003) - murdered by a bus July 2015
16. Bear 2230- Sunlight Silver - Purchased 2010 (53)
20. Alfadog - SP Supreme Blue
25. BULLITT- Sunlight Silver - Purchased March 2014 from previous forumite Ozminator.
26. Chops -Sunlight Silver (#9) - Feb 2016 from NASilverstone
27. Tezzax5 - Crystal Blue - Purchased 2008
28. thehillsarecalling - Brilliant Black - Purchased June 2014, sold April 2015 to local SA owner (#55)
31. Erska - sunlight silver - 14 months.
32. Tim_cyc03 -
33. The Green Goblin - supreme blue - 1 year... mad.
35. Tomli123001 (#31) - Brilliant Black - Purchased Oct 2015

Hi, updated as I bought green-comet's car some time back. I'm super paranoid about the airbox. Has anyone considered reproductions?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun May 29, 2016 11:50 am

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun May 29, 2016 12:43 pm

7. RT - Ex love5 - Classic Red - #97 - Going strong!
16. Bear 2230 - Sunlight Silver - Purchased 2010 (53)
21. MrB - SP race car - Sunlight silver
25. BULLITT - Sunlight Silver - Purchased March 2014 from previous forumite Ozminator.
26. Chops - Sunlight Silver (#9) - Feb 2016 from NASilverstone
27. Tezzax5 - Crystal Blue - Purchased 2008 - Now have the car, #31. With factory optioned full body kit & hard top from original delivery
31. Erskimo - sunlight silver - 14 months.
32. Tim_cyc03 - sunlight silver Jan 2015
33. Jamie Collins - sunlight silver purchased March 2015
35. Tomli123001 - Brilliant Black - Purchased Oct 2015 (#31)

rooboo
Learner Driver

Postby rooboo » Sun May 29, 2016 1:09 pm

(PS don't want to go off topic on this thread but as there aren't many of us I would love a place for anything SP to help us all. I plan on keeping this car as an occaisonal driver, and are happy to do some maintenance myself, where I trust myself better than others, while maintaining the service history/integrity through a Mazda dealership - so I would be grateful for any tips people have re maintaining and spare parts).

Hi Alfadog,

yep you'd be right I reckon re the airbox. From my brief time with this car and looking under the bonnet this would be a pretty hard and expensive part to replace, along with loosing the authenticity if you wish to keep it that way. All the other plumbing etc. I could find someone to do. I'm just too curious so I had to take it off to have a look, back on safely this time.

Don't know if anyone has any thoughts on the following;
- airbox replacement sources. Just seen the posts from others since I began writing this morning - answers the question with probably the best solution.
- does anyone have a rear SP sticker for sale or do they know the part number of it from Mazda?
- I noticed on hard acceleration some smoke and a whole lot of 'go' comes from the exhaust. Did read somewhere that they can be smokey(ish). There is probably a hell of a lot of air coming out of that one exhaust close to redline with the boost and all. Also looking at the pumping to the turbo she has an oil feed. Don't know the internals of the Garret (is that right make?) but I assume there would be some oil that would be fed or makes its way to the exhaust side and out the pipe. I will monitor the oil usage for this. Thoughts?
- I found the SE to be a beautiful handling car. She would drift so controllable which was a lot of fun (yes irresponsible I know but you pick your times). I think the SP will be a bit different in that area. drifting machine, after one interesting off chamber right hand turn, but I haven't tested fully yet. I would like to keep the car original ATM, assume the lake of an LSD would play a role here. She is currently running Yokahama S Drive 205/45's, and will be due in a year or 2. I've lived with Continentals happily on other cars in the past. Thought's?
- I gave her an oil and filter change the other day. She had it done by Mazda in December 2012, but after a bit of research I decided to switch to a Synthetic from the mineral she has had to date. I reckon this guy has the right idea - lizard - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=69604&p=857166&hilit=oil+for+turbos#p857166. I did hear somewhere that you have to be careful with this type of change due to seals etc. - I'm not so sure. Anyhow re choice went with a cheaper oil for the first time Pentrite 0-30W about $60 (don't know if it's worth a Mobil 1 expense in the furture). Used about 1 litre to flush a bit and then approx 3.5+ to fill. It doesn't matter how careful and how much prep I do with cardboard, rags, bags etc. I still managed to get some oil on the floor, underbody, oh and on me. Since the change comments are;
- I noticed the crank speed on startup on my initial purchase, while not a problem (she would always fire quickly) was a little lazy compared to what I was used to. After the change she cranks a little quicker. Definitely the 0 rating coming in there. Less friction has got to be a good thing.
- shes a nice clear oil so I may be able to monitor any blow back dirtiness etc. from this.

Thoughts?
- Floor mats need replacing. I assume there are no reproduction SP's floating around. Anyone got a good suggestion of a good fitting cheap mat and place to buy? I will give you all a possible heads up - if anyone lives in Sydney (and I wish I did based on this - I would jump on it) this guy is selling an SE and I reckon it's got SP mats (look at the interior photo) - don't know where he got them and I have PM'd him and he will sell seperate, but wants other mats (SE mats can you get them?) and/or probably cash. Correct negotiation will get them I reckon. If interested - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 3362/?Cr=5
- I just wanted the leather seats and an SE. Now with the SP I am actually attached to the black cloth trim. Its a nice fabric and suits the suttleness of the car. Passenger seat is perfect, drivers is fine but 120k old. anyone know where a potential recover replacement might lye sometime in the future?
- on a joke I'm in Victoria and if I was a cashed up Bogan I would buy this guys car for the plates - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/keilor-e ... 1113779926
- And if I hadn't brought the SP, this just came on carsales and was exactly what I was looking for, if anyone's interested - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 0646/?Cr=0

Finally I also just noticed that Gary had the right idea back in time with PP003 - I will follow his lead and update as follows (sorry to hear about the Bus. So far I think black is the standout colour in these cars, the SE I drove back in time was black and with the Harts it looked awesome)

7. RT - Ex love5 - Classic Red - #97 - Going strong!
16. Bear 2230 - Sunlight Silver - Purchased 2010 (53)
25. BULLITT - Sunlight Silver - Purchased March 2014 from previous forumite Ozminator.
26. Chops - Sunlight Silver (#9) - Feb 2016 from NASilverstone
27. Tezzax5 - Crystal Blue - Purchased 2008 - Now have the car, #31. With factory optioned full body kit & hard top from original delivery
31. Erskimo - sunlight silver - 14 months.
32. Tim_cyc03 - sunlight silver Jan 2015
33. Jamie Collins - sunlight silver purchased March 2015
35. Tomli123001 - Brilliant Black - Purchased Oct 2015 (#31)
37. rooboo - sunlight silver - purchased May 2016 (P0001)

bigdog
King of the kennel

Postby bigdog » Sun May 29, 2016 9:28 pm

rooboo wrote:Hi Big Dog,

I personally don't disagree with you, that an airbox number is potentially not a good indication of a build no. (or build order), unless there is some knowledge that clarify's this as so. In any modern manufacturing environment many parts have identifable and traceable numbers and cars can be identified as to exactly when they are built, especially on limited runs or special builds. I can't comment on what systems and records were kept back in 2001/2 by Prodrive or whoever built these cars. But after trolling through many of the posts on this site, it was indicating to me that the airbox number was the build 'whatever'. I had wrongly assumed that due to the interest shown in these models on here, that someone might have had this issue sorted by now. Apparently not. All I can now deduce is that there were possibly 3 cars with PP0001 to PP0003 on both the top and bottom parts of the airbox, 2 of which appeared to have been mixed up between 2 cars (unless there was no intention for these 2 numbers to ever need to meet up during the .

It's been a while since we discussed the SP build process, and there are threads on this somewhere on this forum, but in a nutshell all SPs are standard NB8Bs that were delivered to Mazda Motorsport where they were modified by bolting on the SP 'kit' of parts. This included the Chiptorque modified stock ECU that is responsible for the black smoke on full throttle - SPs run stupidly rich, cough and fart, and have really poor trailing throttle mixture control (this varies from car to car). Many owners have replaced the ECU with Adaptronic or Haltech units and some dyno tuning to fix this.

Build order was never recorded; essentially they were assembled in random order as parts were delivered to the workshop.

The turbo oil feed comes from the back of the engine via a braided line, and is returned to the sump through a rubber hose to a barb that is screwed into a threaded hole in the side of the sump - a common source of leaks as there are only two or three threads in the thin sump wall. The turbo also has water 'cooling' lines from the front of the engine.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Sun May 29, 2016 9:39 pm

... makes it sound rather haphazard and not all that well engineered ...

Was it really that disorganised?

bigdog
King of the kennel

Postby bigdog » Mon May 30, 2016 10:14 am

No more disorganized than any other race shop building a limited production run. They order the parts required, take delivery of the base cars to be converted and get on with the task. As the materials arrive the cars are converted and shipped out. The order in which each car was completed is really of no no consequence to the shop - they are simply converting cars and clearing them out, all while managing a successful racing program with the RX-7s.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”