Hi - Introducing a new Frankenstein project

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

reuby_tuesday
Learner Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Re: Hi - Introducing a new Frankenstein project

Postby reuby_tuesday » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Just back on the horse again after a very busy week.

project.r.racing wrote:
as for attempting to mix and match engine parts. have you thought about using a 97-98 laser/323 B6 head. solid lifters, higher lift, less duration. much better for chasing torque. dissy on exh cam. still got the normal water rear outlet, not stupid mx5 front one.

I didn't know about the later model laser head. Ill do some more research into that and see if I can find a head from this motor.
Given that its a B6, could I just swap over the rocker gear/cams/lifters onto my existing head? or are the top end of the head completely different and not interchangeable?

I've even heard rumors that running two exhaust cams is a good combo as the exhaust cam has a better performance profile than the intake cam. Any truth in this folks?

Sailaholic

I should have chased this earlier, but you mentioned late mode corolla coil packs are the go for the B6. Do you know which model/year corolla I should ask about?
Dat-za Car Build
[url]http://www.datsun1000.com/TopicView.asp?TopicID=668&Page=1[/url
[url](https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5640)[/url]

project.r.racing
Speed Racer

Postby project.r.racing » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:51 pm

reuby_tuesday wrote:Just back on the horse again after a very busy week.

project.r.racing wrote:
as for attempting to mix and match engine parts. have you thought about using a 97-98 laser/323 B6 head. solid lifters, higher lift, less duration. much better for chasing torque. dissy on exh cam. still got the normal water rear outlet, not stupid mx5 front one.

I didn't know about the later model laser head. Ill do some more research into that and see if I can find a head from this motor.
Given that its a B6, could I just swap over the rocker gear/cams/lifters onto my existing head? or are the top end of the head completely different and not interchangeable?
I've even heard rumors that running two exhaust cams is a good combo as the exhaust cam has a better performance profile than the intake cam. Any truth in this folks?

Sailaholic

I should have chased this earlier, but you mentioned late mode corolla coil packs are the go for the B6. Do you know which model/year corolla I should ask about?

nope wont work for the camshafts. the trigger key for the cas is on the in can for the head you are using. the trigger key for the cas is on the ex cam for the post 94 FWD B6 head.

it could possibly be done if you are using a crank senser down near the oil pump. that way the need for the cos attached to the camshaft is nil. and the trigger key can be chopped off. you can get them off a ZM engine from a 98-02 laser/323, or a B6 or BP engine from a 98-00 MX5.

reuby_tuesday
Learner Driver

Postby reuby_tuesday » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:45 am

Hi folks

wanted to keep everything related to this in the same spot, hence the necromancy.

can anyone help me identify this pulley? I had this made up by a gent whom i no longer have contact with unfortunately.

Its def a mazda B6 timing pulley.

What DOHC B6 motor cars used a v-belt pulley for the accessories?
20191206_072559.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dat-za Car Build

reuby_tuesday
Learner Driver

Postby reuby_tuesday » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:00 pm

So,

I managed to find a wrecker who was happy to let me rummage through the parts shelves.

Turns out, the pulley is from a B3 engine.

What is also convenient is that it is also a twin pulley version, so running both the aircon pump and the alternator should be easy enough.

We spoke about using a 4 rib belt (serpentine) but that means extra idlers that I have to find a home for.
If i stick with the v-belt setup, then I can just use the alternator and the aircon as the adjusters - keeps it simple.

Another thing that the gent asked about was harmonic balancer.

Since both the datsun engine (the bottom end) and the engine that the head has come from did not use harmonic balancers - is it worth the effort to make something up?

From what i could see in his boxes of pulleys, everything that had a harmonic balancer used a serpy belt - which makes it harder to get everything to fit.

Anyone know of a double v-belt setup, with the right 23 tooth crank timing pulley, and a harmonic balancer?

I have to machine out the centre to fit the datsun crank anyways so that bit doesn't matter.
Dat-za Car Build

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:56 am

quite the Frankenstein indeed.

if your looking for a cheap turbo manifold, try alibaba - they have them for like $100 bucks. quality would be as expected.

for a cheap ECU try speediuno

Return to “MX5 General Chat”