ND battery under-spec'd?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Re: ND battery under-spec'd?

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm

ahhh sheet I recall the time something broke on my clutch on a Morris minor Ute...

stuck at a uphill intersection.....

ahhh ƒü¢k it...ended up jumping it in reverse.....reversing though a major intersection .... chucking a 2nd U turn.....to then to re jump start it in a forward gear on the other side of the intersection which was facing down hill....
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm

StanTheMan wrote:you then went hunting for pussy, cars & alcohol

Now cars have a girls name & run on e85. :mrgreen:

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm

93_Clubman wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm

93_Clubman wrote:

seriously youth of today.

cannot be compared

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Like some others of my generation on here my wife and I saved every cent we could get our hands on to buy our first house (cash-no mortgage) and then repeated the act when we built our current house 2 years later (again cash - no mortgage). Wife never worked for first 15 years of marriage but we raised 2 kids and somehow managed to buy a few new cars in that time but have only had one O/S holiday (if you call NZ O/S) in 35 years of marriage. The first 30 years were pretty frugal and whilst we will never be eligible for any form of government assistance in our retirement, we do wonder whether we just cheated ourselves out of a lot of life experiences in order to be financially comfortable in retirement. Now we can afford to travel but can't be bothered.
A lot of our friends spent everything they earned and have now lined up for the full Age Pension.
Of our two kids, one is just like us - lived at home until age 30 and has just paid cash for his first house. The other had a substantial deposit for her Unit - does have a mortgage - but has holidayed on every continent. So - which way do you go? The one you are comfortable with at the time, I guess.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 pm

StanTheMan wrote:
93_Clubman wrote:

seriously youth of today.
cannot be compared

Not singling out any demographic, indeed the phenomenon seems to apply fairly broadly across
demographics, though perhaps for slightly different reasons. Thinking was along the lines of the
more things change, the more, in some ways, they can stay the same.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 am

Rocky wrote:which way do you go? The one you are comfortable with at the time, I guess.

Indeed Rocky, more than one approach to things - do what you're happy/comfortable with, & expect others to do what they're happy/comfortable with.

RBH58
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby RBH58 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:15 am

Latest news on the RF Battery Drain issue (sorry...back on topic) is that the Software Fix that Mazda Australia said WASN’T going to happen is now being offered as the solution by Mazda Australia and Mazda USA.

This CHANGE in position has only occurred in the last week. My car is still booked in to have the Instrument Panel replaced the week after next (and I’m told that the car will be off the road for...perhaps...two weeks).

It’s unclear whether the “software fix” actually addresses the root cause or whether it works by making the Cruise Control to default to “Off” when the car is switched off. I haven’t been able to establish how it works. But to me defaulting the Cruise to “Off” is an acceptable fix. This “software fix” is supposed to be being applied to all RFs at their next service.

I’m now thinking of cancelling my Instrument Cluster replacement. Do I really want my dashboard pulled apart for a relatively minor problem (when you know how to deal with it) and when a simple “software fix” now seems to be available?
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 am

RBH58 wrote:Latest news on the RF Battery Drain issue (sorry...back on topic) is that the Software Fix that Mazda Australia said WASN’T going to happen is now being offered as the solution by Mazda Australia and Mazda USA.

This CHANGE in position has only occurred in the last week. My car is still booked in to have the Instrument Panel replaced the week after next (and I’m told that the car will be off the road for...perhaps...two weeks).

It’s unclear whether the “software fix” actually addresses the root cause or whether it works by making the Cruise Control to default to “Off” when the car is switched off. I haven’t been able to establish how it works. But to me defaulting the Cruise to “Off” is an acceptable fix. This “software fix” is supposed to be being applied to all RFs at their next service.

I’m now thinking of cancelling my Instrument Cluster replacement. Do I really want my dashboard pulled apart for a relatively minor problem (when you know how to deal with it) and when a simple “software fix” now seems to be available?

Yay on topic.....

If it were me I would definitely go for the software fix and just keep turning cruise off for now.
I don't see nothing wrong with cruise not being on when you start the car up again if that is what the software fix does. That's how I thought it should work anyway.
Like I said before, pulling apart the cluster is just asking for possible side effects. Like anything, the more you pull something apart and put it back together, the more likely it will have problems.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:40 am

Luke wrote:I don't see nothing wrong with cruise not being on when you start the car up again if that is what the software fix does. That's how I thought it should work anyway.

That's precisely how it works on our 2009 Mazda6.

However, on the 2007 MX-5, it will still be armed when the car is switched on, if it was armed when the car was switched off. 2008 BMW is always armed when the ignition is on - no separate on/off switch for the system.

RBH58
Fast Driver

Postby RBH58 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 am

I’m okay with the Cruise defaulting to Off. I don’t know if that’s how the fix will work, but if that’s it I’d be cool with it.
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 am

you would want to know when the software fix is going to be available-- months away- firm date - guaranteed fix ? If they are changing the panel then presumably you have a fully functioning unit which will look identical to the old one. If it takes 2 weeks then surely they provide a courtesy car for that time. They are fully resp for doing the job right.

RBH58
Fast Driver

Postby RBH58 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:you would want to know when the software fix is going to be available-- months away- firm date - guaranteed fix ? If they are changing the panel then presumably you have a fully functioning unit which will look identical to the old one. If it takes 2 weeks then surely they provide a courtesy car for that time. They are fully resp for doing the job right.

The “software fix” whatever it is, is supposed to be available right now.

Yes, I’ve been offered a courtesy car for two weeks, but the issue is, do I want a dealer to pull my dashboard apart (and risk introducing “other issues”) to solve a problem that a software update would fix?

I think, perhaps not.
RBH58

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm

if its available now then get it done and evaluate if it works which might mean not driving the car for X weeks? If its a "simple" software fix you might think that everyone will go the same route or for that matter why would Mazda offer potentially a more expensive fix when the software choice is available. Back to Mazda for info- I think there might be some more info forthcoming.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Yep, agree with MM. If there is a software fix they are not going to replace your dash panel for fun.
You can reasonably expect the Dealer to be right on top of this and should be able to confirm now - if they still don't know, they need to find out real quick.
I elected to put up with the famous NB8B clutch shudder for life because I was not prepared to allow a Dealer to replace a clutch in a new car. It was the right decision.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”