The BEAVIS consolidated How-To/Tech-Info Videos

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

The BEAVIS consolidated How-To/Tech-Info Videos

Postby beavis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Hey forum friends!

TLDR:
I’m going to start sharing videos here centered around HOW-TO’s, GUIDES and TECH INFO
Can't wait and just want to start watching now? Click here:

Ok now the whole story for those of you who are interested:
So I’ve been putting together YouTube videos for a little while now to detail the work that I do on my MX-5(s). It’s usually showcasing the mods/upgrades specific to track days and performance improvements that I make to my car.

However, more recently I’ve been building a portfolio of video’s on my YouTube channel centered around HOW-TO’s, GUIDES and TECH INFO. Stuff that people often ask questions on, or things that a lot of us have wanted to do, or plan to do as opposed to sending our cars to a mechanic.

So with the intro speel out of the way. I’m going to start sharing the videos here as consolidated location, your one stop shop for video guides. Feel free to post below with any queries, suggestions or improvements you have, or any detail you think I’ve missed.

Note: a small caveat, I am not a mechanic, engineer, engine builder or dyno tuner. I do this for the fun and the passion and as informative entertainment. It’s not my fault if you break your car and while I will try my best to help I don’t have every answer to every problem.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

beavis
Forum sponsor

Re: The BEAVIS consolidated How-To/Tech-Info Videos

Postby beavis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:46 pm

First up, here's a collection of videos I've put together on all sorts of things related to lubricants for your MX-5!
I'd love to hear what you think!

My COMPLETE guide to the right OILS for your MX-5

How to change your OIL on the ND (1.5L or 2.0L) MX-5

How to change your OIL on the NC MX-5
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:49 pm

And secondly, my suite of videos specific to the new ND MX-5

How to install Suspension/Coilovers in the ND

Installing a 'Shorty' style Antenna

Changing the rear Rego Plate Globes

Changing the Boot Light globe

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 am

may I recommend some others.....

cam choice & tuning
installing HC pistons
choosing head gaskets & tolerances for those
installing ITB's & tuning....
how to spray paint DIY

just kidding......but if your looking for subjects......feel free

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:28 am

I saw you asking on FB for suggestions, I didn't post anything there as there was a lot of sh%t talking going on and figured my post would be lost in the noise.

I'd suggest doing how-tos/tech info/benefits for all the products you have in your store, I'd think this would be helpful to any one who buys as well as being a good promotion for your wares.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:24 pm

How to start data logging...

How to adjust suspension...

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 pm

ManiacLachy wrote:I saw you asking on FB for suggestions, I didn't post anything there as there was a lot of sh%t talking going on and figured my post would be lost in the noise.

I'd suggest doing how-tos/tech info/benefits for all the products you have in your store, I'd think this would be helpful to any one who buys as well as being a good promotion for your wares.

couldn't agree more.....like your 32 tooth wheel thingy.....

Ross
Fast Driver

Postby Ross » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:44 pm

How about, the basics of installing a stand alone ECU on a stock car - what parts you need, MAP sensor TPS, IAT, wide band etc.
Installing and getting it running.
Dummies like me need learnin'
Cheers
Ross

1990 BRG V-Special, NB Koni sport with King springs, MS-03's

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks for the requests/suggestions... really appreciate it.
My to-do list has gone from 50 things to about 1000 8) but... I'll do my best to get as many of these questions answered!

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Ross wrote:How about, the basics of installing a stand alone ECU on a stock car - what parts you need, MAP sensor TPS, IAT, wide band etc.
Installing and getting it running.
Dummies like me need learnin'

there is plenty of that on the megasqurt of the physical installation. Youre one would be very similar. But you also get instructions with your new ECU.

Installation.....is the easy part. :mrgreen:

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 am

In my latest addition to the tech info videos, here's my guide on everything you need to know about brakes for your car. From basic maintenance, to upgrade suggestions and even my favourite parts to make your brakes work well at the track.

Here's my summary on braking setups:
Braided brake lines are a great idea for any car whether it is street only, or on a car that sees the track.
I always use the items from HEL Performance, their price and quality is on point.

In terms of fluid, I generally use any good higher performance DOT4 fluid unless its going on a serious track car in which case you really want a high temp race spec fluid like the Motul rbf600.

For Pads, I like to use Hawk Performance HPS or HP+ for the street, or mild trackday use. Hawk Blue for the more serious track stuff. And then if you are really pushing the car, the Hawk DTC60 or 70 might be up your alley,

When it comes to Rotors, oem work well in most cases until you start to run higher power and higher grip levels at the track.
If thats the case, its time to consider a brake upgrade, there are many options out there, whever you choose to go with be sure it will fit within your wheels! Some brake kits start to get too big for a 15 inch rim.
I chose the Trackspeed Engineering 11.75" kit, but you can get kits from all the big miata specific tuning shop in the US, from 949 Racing to Good-Win Racing or Flyin' Miata

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:02 pm

instructions on how to install a hardtop. NA/NB :mrgreen:

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm

This week I've released a video on What to look for when buying a used Mazda MX-5!

This is something a number of people have brought up in the past. They're interested in an MX-5 and want to know what the common trouble points or issues are. I've covered the most common concerns but of course there's many of other things that people may want to add so feel free to chip in if you think there's something significant that needs to be mentioned.

And it doesn't stop there. To accompany the video format, I've also written a text summary which you can find on our website: http://beavismotorsport.com/buyers-guide

Check out the ugly mug on that thumbnail! Wellll I guess you cant change what god gave you :lol:

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 pm

So what is the owners manual like on the ND- you would think that changing bulbs and the right spec of oil is all included. The first thing to check is what the maker i.e. the guys that designed the thing recommend. Insofar as an NA is concerned one that is 25 years old the story is always condition condition ( same for any used car) and the same goes for any vehicle. If you have to change a gearshift boot its not will I buy the car or not.

beavis
Forum sponsor

Postby beavis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:So what is the owners manual like on the ND- you would think that changing bulbs and the right spec of oil is all included. The first thing to check is what the maker i.e. the guys that designed the thing recommend. Insofar as an NA is concerned one that is 25 years old the story is always condition condition ( same for any used car) and the same goes for any vehicle. If you have to change a gearshift boot its not will I buy the car or not.

While it may be detailed in the manual, there are two things to keep in mind.
1. Nowadays people seem to just google/ask a question and hope for the answer to come to them rather than put the effort into finding the answer for themselves.
2. I have to spend my spare time doing something right?! :P

And yes I agree, a dodgy gear shift boot is not the end of the world, it does account for up to $100 or so in extra cost AND the condition of a car also gives you an indication on the sort of person you are buying the car from which can influence a decision. That's no different to any other maintenance item, be it tyres, a leaky seal or a tear in the roof. They are all repairable, but it's things that should be kept in mind and to consider when deciding on a price.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”