A different kind of Roadster

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: A different kind of Roadster

Postby Rocky » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Doesn't excite me at all.
I was reading the attached review in a car magazine this am and feeling nostalgic for robust and reliable cars that any owner could service and maintain unlike the ridiculously complicated stuff we have nowdays with performance nobody can possibly use.

Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:54 pm

You could service the old cars and you got to do that very regularly including 15 points for grease and changing plugs and points etc etc. The glaring truth is that modern cars are so much better than most but not all of the old clunkers. The MX-5 has "modern" electronics even from NA- vastly superior to MGB ,Austin Healey TRs and the like. I confess to having a pretty old clunker built like Joe Frazier and it will keep punching when it should be dead but it's a rugged ride and a throwback and it's got armstrong steering. I wonder whether this new car which is really not yet tested and maybe an overpriced co will last the distance. I dont think they will last the distance- but I would not really know.

RBH58
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby RBH58 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:20 pm

0-to the Aus legal limit in a whisker over 2 seconds with the ability to exceed it by a factor of nearly 4. What’s the point? It’s like driving a light switch.
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

LiteIsRite
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby LiteIsRite » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:07 pm

RBH58 wrote:... It’s like driving a light switch.

Best description I’ve seen! :NETPOINTZ:
”How you get there is the worthier part.” - Shepherd Book, Firefly
"Cherry" - Classic Red 1990 NA6 :NA6: [sold]

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 pm

I rest my case.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:28 pm

And it's not even a roadster. It's targa top fast back type thing. :roll:

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm

If you have the money in spades you buy these things, There is no shortage of customers for the dearest piece of kit and a fast car is still a desirable car to have even if you dont "use it" None of us would buy high powered cars if the only criteria was that you cannot use them because the car has too much power- it does not seem to work that way.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Just to put this in context, have a look at all the stupidly expensive, crazily over complicated and totally unserviceable cars that this car puts to shame.

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/top-10-fastest-production-cars-from-zero-to-60-mph

It signals the end of the petrol powered supercar.
’95 NA8

RBH58
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby RBH58 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 pm

manga_blue wrote:Just to put this in context, have a look at all the stupidly expensive, crazily over complicated and totally unserviceable cars that this car puts to shame.

A $20 quartz Casio is better than $20k Rolex too if you are after the more accurate watch.
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 pm

manga_blue wrote:Just to put this in context, have a look at all the stupidly expensive, crazily over complicated and totally unserviceable cars that this car puts to shame.

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/top-10-fastest-production-cars-from-zero-to-60-mph

Ever watched a formula-e race?

I'm pretty sure petrol powered supercars aren't in any danger.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Its going to be hard to really get people engaged with performance and excitement when there is only a whistle or a hum rather than the howl of piston engines. And then the issue of range- not solved yet. PRR has a good point.

speed
Speed Racer

Re: RE: Re: A different kind of Roadster

Postby speed » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:Its going to be hard to really get people engaged with performance and excitement when there is only a whistle or a hum rather than the howl of piston engines. And then the issue of range- not solved yet. PRR has a good point.
I'm not so sure. It's not about the noise. It's about how they can beat practically every other car off the lights with no noise.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

speed
Speed Racer

Re: RE: A different kind of Roadster

Postby speed » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Nevyn72 wrote:Hmmmmm, think I've found the replacement for the SE...... :mrgreen:

If you sell your house to fund it you might be in danger of using the tesla more than selene.. to sleep in and watch tellie and stuff, since you won't have a house.
You can even dry your laundry when accelerating :D
Maybe put in a request for a windscreen that turns into a tv when on auto pilot or parked. Not sure what to do about the sound system but I'm sure you will figure it out :)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

kalt
Fast Driver

Postby kalt » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:53 am

... almost 6 years later and one guy has received delivery of the Tesla Roadster.. RC.

:lol:

Amazing how time flies and innovation takes manufacturers up or down the leaderboard.

MG's Cyberster is going to take the electric roadster crown soon

Owning a fast car is easier than driving a car, fast.

For sale
NB8 Factory Airbox

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:54 pm

That MG could make me drool a bit. Styling good, two-seater, stupid doors, soft?top/convertible ... Right now I want to throw up when I see what they have done with such a storied nameplate (all right, it is only MG :lol: , and BMC etc started that downhill slide, the Chinese have just taken it to rock bottom - or can it get worse?).

If they can produce a MGTC for the EV age, I could see myself signing up (after the lottery win, and if there is anything left after the credit card is paid off 8) :lol: ).

What are those paddle shifts for - if there is a sports mode, and a proper gearbox to exploit the electric motor's zero-revs max torque characteristics, could be a serious blast. There is a rev counter too, but is that just a sop to the old farts?

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 General Chat”