Nearing the finish line - talk me out of 4 EGT sensors!

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ninerwfo
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A - Turbo

Nearing the finish line - talk me out of 4 EGT sensors!

Postby ninerwfo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:30 pm

So I’m within a week of turning the key on this thing. Mentally, physically and financially drained, but still standing (perhaps just swaying a little).

Can someone please talk me out of “per cylinder” EGT monitoring - and Mark, I am looking specifically in your direction as someone who has crazy levels of telemetry!!

We are running the MS3ProPnP, with a raspberry pi dash, so it just seems logical at this stage to weld 4 NPT bungs into the exhaust manifold, screw in the thermocouples, connect to a quad-channel amp, then into the raspberry pi.

Does anyone know if the cheaper eBay thermocouples any good vs the expensive “Stinger” & “Bullet” ones?

Context:
- registered track car
- forged bottom end
- flowed head, stock cams, double springs
- GTX2867r twistmount
- E85 only

Tell me why individual EGT is just for poseurs, and that I need to stop finding excuses to turn the key!ImageImageImage

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Nearing the finish line - talk me out of 4 EGT sensors!

Postby Magpie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Happy to post data on EGT's for you :) I will not talk you out of them. They can help you identify issues, for example a cyl running cooler than the other may indicate a loss of compression.

This was when I was finding a fuel pressure issue. However, it does also graph the difference to the average, the car has been this way ever since it has been tuned so again I look for changes in the shapes.

ImageCar Health by Eipeip, on Flickr

Did this convince you to not do it?

ninerwfo
Fast Driver

Postby ninerwfo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Awesome, knew I could depend on you to complicate things! Yes, the idea being able to check that the engine is “temperature balanced” really appeals...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 pm

You also need 4 x AFR’s as well.

ninerwfo
Fast Driver

Postby ninerwfo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 am

Haha, good joke Magpie! But see, now you’ve done it - I’m pretty sure you actually aren’t joking, and can see the sense in being able to trim AFRs on a per-cylinder basis.

I can remember from an engine bay shot of yours Magpie that you have (or had - who can keep up with the changes) a thermocouple coming out of each exhaust runner.
- But are you running 4 widebands too?
- if a person was going to do that, you would need an”upstream” sensor for it to survive, yes?

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 am

No only one wideband for me. The AFR sensors would become consumables...

Return to “MX5 General Chat”