Thinking of returning to the MX-5 fold

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Thinking of returning to the MX-5 fold

Postby apsilon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:25 am

Hi all,

Just joined up to the forum, I'm sure I used to be a member here but had to create a new account. I haven't really had much of a look around yet so not sure how many older members are here but my username may look familiar to some. I used to have a 94 Laguna Blue Clubman with a custom turbo install and a few other mods. Sold it back around 2002ish?

Anyway, I've been thinking of getting a weekend fun car. I've had a lot of cars in the time between my old MX-5 and now but the MX-5 has always remained my favourite so I'm thinking of getting another NA.

My main concern is finding something clean and preferably with AC which I don't think was all that common. My old Clubman didn't have it and while it didn't bother me so much back then, I think it'll be a bit more of an issue with an extra 15 years on my clock. Don't suppose factory AC kits are still available?

Anyway, you might see me a around a bit and asking some questions.

EDIT: oh and thanks to whichever mod sorted out my account activation issue.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

bonester
Driver

Re: Thinking of returning to the MX-5 fold

Postby bonester » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 am

AC was one of my must haves when buying mine. Saw lots of cars with compressors removed etc and quite a few that never had AC. Ended up buying a Eunos with everything that opens and shuts including AC. Maybe the JDM cars have AC more commonly? Lots of Eunos for sale at the moment. Seems like more of them around than Aussie delivered MX-5s. Looks like a huge job to install AC in a car that never had it. Worth it though I reckon if you find an exceptional car. :)

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 am

thats not the clubman owned by Rob Erskine at one stage or another. maybe after you maybe before you?
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks. I think I could handle installing AC, it's availability of parts etc that concerns me more. I don't have the time these days to spend hunting down that one missing bracket etc.

Yes, Rob bought the car from me. I think I heard it ended up in QLD with a SR20 in it or something?

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Rob E is still around although not on this forum.
I think I recall drooling over your car at mania....at one stage or another....cause in those days that was one of the more special cars in Sydney
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

bonester
Driver

Postby bonester » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 pm

There is a genuine Mazda memo floating around that explains AC installation. (might be at Miate.net?) I'm too lazy to pull the dash out. That would put me off most.
Parts availability might be an issue- trying to find front guard for my car- none at wreckers, no aftermarket available. Genuine is $585. Might go that way anyway.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:04 pm

I think RobE sold the blue Clubman it to someone in Vic. Got defected due to the turbo. Got sold on to a guy in Vic who was putting an SR20 into it. Haven't heard anything about that project for years now.

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Just found the AC install instructions, thanks for that. Doesn't look like anything I couldn't do so parts availability remains my biggest concern (67 parts shown though many are bolts). Still, it's only going to be a weekend occasional use car so lack of AC isn't an automatic deal breaker. If it was going to be a daily then yes.

So it was VIC my car ended up in. Would be interesting to find out what happened to it. That car certainly left a lasting impression and I've always had some regret over selling it. As I said I've had a lot of cars since then but none have matched it in terms of having everything required for fun. That's why I'm looking at returning to one now.

bonester
Driver

Postby bonester » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Since I posted I found an aftermaerket guard available. :)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:09 pm

bruce wrote:I think RobE sold the blue Clubman it to someone in Vic. Got defected due to the turbo. Got sold on to a guy in Vic who was putting an SR20 into it. Haven't heard anything about that project for years now.

apsilon wrote:So it was VIC my car ended up in. Would be interesting to find out what happened to it.

Hey apsilon, remember your name from many years ago on the forum. Blue94t (Jake in Heatherton, Vic) bought your old turbo Laguna Blue Clubman, & as Bruce said he got pulled over & got an Vic EPA notice to test, so decided on dropping in an SR20DET driveline. Got a fair way with the project, but with a very busy life I believe he decided to call it quits. Last I recall was Jake advertising the unfinished Clubman on here. He'd sold the BP motor quite sometime before that. Jake's brother is on here occasionally, but haven't heard from Jake for a few years. Blue94t's posts: search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=blue94t&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Yup, another Vic guy purchased the unfinished project (it didn't get far). New guy PMd me a few times but haven't heard a peep. I fear it is still in a thousand pieces.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Jake's (Blue94t) brother is sage on here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10310

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to try and track it down but sounds like the past 15 years haven't been kind so might be better to leave the memories as they are.

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Gee 93_Clubman - you are our resident librarian/historian/handy hints man!

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Yeah I figured there'd be a few members that have been here for a while. Good memory though because I struggle to remember last month.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”