Thinking of returning to the MX-5 fold

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Thinking of returning to the MX-5 fold

Postby apsilon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:06 am

Having trouble deciding which way to go with this. Want an NA8 but they're far less common than they once were. I'd also prefer something closer to stock.

There's a car that looks the goods, appears to be in great condition but it's an '97 LE, not my first choice of colour and being an LE and in this condition I'd be reluctant to make little changes to make the car my own as it may have some collector potential. Has a hardtop, which I want this time around, but no AC. Then there's a 95 which is a bit rough around the edges, especially the interior but nothing out of line with what you'd expect of a 22 year old car. White which is more towards my liking, has AC though not working and is half the price. No hardtop though but is stock other than the stereo.

Decisions, decisions. The white car I could spend the difference and get it up to spec and not be worried about maintaining it's collectors value. Hardtop I could probably find eventually and the AC can almost certainly be resurrected easier than trying to retrofit to a car without it at all.

Whichever way I go I won't be looking to mod to the extent of my old car but who knows? Maybe the bug will bite again. Just a little bit more power..... just a little bit improved handling...... just a little bit.......
'97 Neo Green limited edition

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 pm

not hard to buy an MX-5 but I would not think too much about collector value - not going to get rich or win the jackpot on appreciation of an MX-5- too many of them. Most people don't want cars without a/c- unbearable to most mortals in hot weather. You could once readily buy new AC for MX-5s maybe still can but guess +$2000.

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm

I'll get one. The white one I was looking at sold before I could get a look at it as did a red clubman.

I do agree about the collector value but I'd still feel a little bad about changing anything on an stock LE compared to anything else.

dracomjb

Postby dracomjb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm

this relates a lot to me, I've started lurking because I've got the urge to get back into an MX-5.

I used to have a burgandy NB8 in 2002, I'd love to find another one of those. I think it was released as a colour for just one year, definitely wasn't the special edition they released with similar paint colouring.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:23 pm

dracomjb wrote:I used to have a burgandy NB8 in 2002, I'd love to find another one of those. I think it was released as a colour for just one year, definitely wasn't the special edition they released with similar paint colouring.

This: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clayton ... 1166675359
or this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-MX5-C ... SwAaJZ-L0C

dracomjb

Postby dracomjb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am

93_Clubman wrote:This: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clayton ... 1166675359
or this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-MX5-C ... SwAaJZ-L0C

Well definitely not interested in turbos, the second one fits the bill, quite a distance away though

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

Noticed this yesterday, however according to ad it has a UK VIN - darker than the previous two though: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manly/c ... 1177459378

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 am

That's unusual, wonder if he moved out here with the car? I like the colour though RMS says it's brown. If I had space I'd be tempted to grab an NB as well and do one of the fastback conversions.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Don't think I've ever seen that colour. In one word I would describe it as brown too.

Red Dragon
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Red Dragon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 pm

From memory that colour was called Radiant Ebony.
In 2002 it was on a LE similar to 10AE except it had Cream upholstery, then brought back in 2005 as an LE again for that year
Picture 057a.jpg

mithra.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob E
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Rob E » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:34 pm

Ah, to complete the story; I sold it to a bloke in Ryde and he took it out to EC and ran 12.9 on the 185/195 Yokie A539s (remember them?), certainly a faster car with more grip. From there is must have gone to VIC. Was certainly a strong car and well set up.

Like you Apsilon (hope you are well mate, it’s been a loooong time) I’m looking at mucking around with an MX5 again soon as
I’ve got a bit more time these days :mrgreen: . I’ll be going the naturally aspirated route though this time, I see BBR in the UK has an IRTB kit working for the NC so pretty keen on that.

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:22 pm

Hey Rob, it certainly has been a while. Time is something I still find in short supply hence I'm not around here much of late nor do I get to take the MX-5 out much. Ironically I had planned to do a day trip this week as I had yesterday free but lockdown put an end to that and I cleaned the gutters instead. Yeah I wouldn't mind bolt on IRTB, trying to keep this one stock or easily and fully reversible mods but doubt I'll find the time and money, I just don't drive it enough. Keen to see it if you do though.

Rob E
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby Rob E » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:19 am

Good to hear from your Apsilon. I’m down to working a few days a week now so getting more time for hobbies. Will keep you posted, I am toying with a couple of different ideas including a full NA restomod. Home Garage is already full, so need to move house first before I can properly kick off a new project :NA6:

Return to “MX5 General Chat”