2019 ND - more grunt

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

MikeVictor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Re: 2019 ND - more grunt

Postby MikeVictor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am

lucmor444 wrote:To me it would be inconceivable that we don’t get this update. It is being delivered to all other markets and there would be no way Mazda would build a separate, outdated version for Australia. I think Mazda Australia are just being coy about not confirming it’s arrival down under.

Yeah it might hurt some sales if people decide to wait it out for the new one, however given the volumes this car sells I don't imagine it's going to be that big a hit to the bottom line. Nothing they wouldn't have factored in from previous experience certainly.

FWIW you're a long time dead. The best MX-5 is the one you have now!
ND GT with a loose nut behind wheel

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 pm

so does that mean the small engine version has bitten the dust?

MikeVictor
Fast Driver

Postby MikeVictor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:so does that mean the small engine version has bitten the dust?

No, it's just getting some more minor tweaks and will still be available for JDM. Here? Dunno.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 pm

I'm surprised they even offered Australia the 1.5L version - would have been simpler from a parts&services view to only offer one variant.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

MikeVictor
Fast Driver

Postby MikeVictor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Lokiel wrote:I'm surprised they even offered Australia the 1.5L version - would have been simpler from a parts&services view to only offer one variant.

I think there was a bit of a market for it along the idea of a NA for the 21st century, a bit like how the 1.5L only was offered in Japan and the 2L was designed more for the NA market. I've spoken with a couple of owners who like me, test drove both engines and decided what was best for them. A few took the 1.5 and others the 2.0, so having the choice was good overall.

d4m0
Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby d4m0 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:47 am

It's a worry when you get your news from CNet, but this is the most detailed article I've seen on the gruntier 2019. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-mazda-mx5-miata-more-power-safety/

CNET wrote:Inside, the 2019 MX-5 gets a telescoping steering wheel, as well as a greater helping of safety tech. A backup camera is now standard (as it is on all cars moving forward), and upper trim levels now receive traffic sign recognition and Mazda's Smart City Brake Support active braking tech.

Pricing will be announced later this year, but we don't expect it to change too much. Look for the 2019 MX-5 Miata to arrive at Mazda dealers this fall.

Tell you what would be nice - to know when that hits Australia. I ordered an ND mid May and delivery is "expected" September. I knew this grunty one was coming, and wasn't too fussed - I figured the price hike and the power-hike weren't enough reason to wait (else I'd be waiting for the term of my natural life). Reading the above though, get's me antsy. I paid for a backup camera option, and I love the traffic sign rec stuff in my Mazda 3 (checking the speed limit every 2-3 seconds is much easier when it's on the HUD).

I know this happens all the time when you finally jump in... still, doesn't help me out now, does it?

And on other matters, why isn't there any good automotive Australian-based journalism? Don't we have a large enough population to support quality, independent journalism? No - I don't trust the myriad of glowing reviews from car company sponsored journos - no one is asking the hard questions.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 am

d4m0 wrote::
And on other matters, why isn't there any good automotive Australian-based journalism? Don't we have a large enough population to support quality, independent journalism? No - I don't trust the myriad of glowing reviews from car company sponsored journos - no one is asking the hard questions.

John Cardogan is very blunt - check out some of his stuff (he was one of the driving forces in getting Ford penalised for their crappy transmission, which they managed to make owners pay even more money for to rectify).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 am

Lokiel wrote:John Cardogan is very blunt - check out some of his stuff (he was one of the driving forces in getting Ford penalised for their crappy transmission, which they managed to make owners pay even more money for to rectify).

Yes, I like Cadogen, and would faithfully watch every video if he didn't dribble on so much. I agree with just about everything he says, but I do get a bit tired of some of his rants (like his recent one critiquing the cinematography of an Audi ad).

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:33 am

Finally some Australian-based news:
https://www.motoring.com.au/more-powerful-mazda-mx-5-confirmed-for-oz-113390/ wrote:Mazda Australia has confirmed it will release an upgraded Mazda MX-5 in September, powered by the higher-output 2.0-litre engine released in Japan earlier this month.

No new details particularly, but at least September is confirmed. I wonder how they get the traffic sign recognition info up for the driver without a HUD (mentioned at https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/2019-mazda-mx-5-revvier-wltp/. I'm keen to see how they've put it all together.

If anyone has found anything else, I'm keen to see it!

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lucmor444 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 pm

I think I read on another forum that the speed sign details will be displayed in the updated multi function display in the cluster. That seems to make sense seeing no HUD is provided.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Lots of other cars do it the same way, all within the cluster.

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 am

Finally, some in-the-flesh thoughts on the new "2019" mx5 - from Canadia:
https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20180720/first-drive-2019-mazda-mx-5/ wrote:The improvements to the 2019 MX-5 are noticeable, but not overwhelming.

Not much new information really, but at least it's real?

More interesting though, is this:
that [url="lucmoor444"]http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15071[/url] suggested above. I was secretly hoping for a HUD, but seems that was a pipe-dream :frown:

There's a video on the autoevolution page too, which shows some new developments like:
1. The rear-view camera is smack-bang in the middle of the rear bumper, like a black pimple
2. The door opens to two "positions", which apparently makes it easier to get into in small spaces (I would've thought the opposite, but what would I know)
3. Slightly (marginally?) redesigned cup holders (easier to put in/pull out)
4. Still no Apple CarPlay/Android-something - not until the 2019 cx9 they say - but can get it added "later" (presumably at extra cost)
5. Exhaust note is less buzzy - it's deeper (judging by the sound in my headphones?!)
6. Saved ~1s in 0-100kph (to 7.2s from 8.3s) - they have a nice synchronised comparison shot of the speedo showing this

Otherwise, nothing that hasn't been mentioned before. They're big fans of the telescopic steering wheel, meaning it's more comfortable for taller/bigger people.

Worth a watch anyhow.

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:02 am

d4m0 wrote:5. Exhaust note is less buzzy - it's deeper (judging by the sound in my headphones?!)

I thought the 2019 exhaust was more tinier/raspy every so slightly. And this would be a by product of a slight more freer flowing system as they pointed out. AS I'd assume the muffler is slight less baffled.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”