2019 ND - more grunt

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

david3dg3
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: 2019 ND - more grunt

Postby david3dg3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:14 pm

trader wrote:I just looked at the two 124’s at Fyshwick dealer ACT. Both had rusty brake discs, leaves and dust all over and at the back of the yard. Dont think they are selling well here. Haven’t been for a test drive for some time! Plenty of ND’s around though.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The Fiat styling looks godawful.

I remember the Alfa styling floating about before the NDs release and THAT looked better. Almost better than the Mazda styling. The Fiat styling looks like a bolt-on dodgy aftermarket kit IMHO.

Currently: Red NC1
Previously: Silver NB8A, Red NA6

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 pm

David, David, you must be young. A lot of the old blokes get a bit misty-eyed over the styling of the new FIAT which references the styling of the much-loved FIAT 124 Spider of the '70s.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

david3dg3
Learner Driver

Postby david3dg3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Ha! Thanks. I'm 50 years young. Fiat did a good job recapturing the old Fiat roadster look, I'll concede, but it was ugly way back when and it's still ugly now.

Currently: Red NC1
Previously: Silver NB8A, Red NA6

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:39 pm

David, I tried to make excuses for you but you won't let me help! :lol:
I loved the FIATs and Alfas of that era but haven't liked much since by these makers.
Some of my all time favourite shapes are the 105 Series Alfas, the Datsun 240Z, the MGB, the 1976 Celica and the FIAT 124 AC & BC Coupe.
Stuck in the '70s!
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Personally I think the Fiat is the better of the two overall, looks wise.

I prefer the MX5 front end (except those awful daytime lights) but the MX5 rear and rear quarters just looks too big for the car.
Those weird small lights low on the bumper, the small tail lamps, and the number plate hole being so low makes the rear look tall and bulky from a lot of angles.

To me the Fiat looks like it was designed in one sitting. It's not the best car i've seen, but it at least flows.

The ND looks like one guy designed the front, got to the doors then went on break, and a different person came and finished the back of the car.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:23 am

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

wleung
Driver

Postby wleung » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 am

Well its happening.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2019 ... 26275.html

They got that extra power and revs with no cams. At least that is what it says.

Mazda made some serious revisions to the engine, which now features pistons that are 27 grams lighter, 41g-lighter connecting rods, a throttle body from the 2.5-liter, low-inertia dual mass flywheel, larger valves and a new exhaust. It also revs much higher, all the way to 7,500rpm.

1.5L to get more power as well. 1HP and 2Nm. LOL.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

aka_juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby aka_juffa » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am

Just saw the following artical confirming 181hp for the Japanese domestic market. And for the first time a telescopic steering wheel shaft.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/f ... ails-news/

J
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am

hks_kansei wrote:Personally I think the Fiat is the better of the two overall, looks wise.

I prefer the MX5 front end (except those awful daytime lights) but the MX5 rear and rear quarters just looks too big for the car.
Those weird small lights low on the bumper, the small tail lamps, and the number plate hole being so low makes the rear look tall and bulky from a lot of angles.

To me the Fiat looks like it was designed in one sitting. It's not the best car i've seen, but it at least flows.

The ND looks like one guy designed the front, got to the doors then went on break, and a different person came and finished the back of the car.

We're completely opposite in our views of the ND vs the Fiat.

I hate the "too small" front headlights of the ND but love the rest of the exterior and think it looks more like something penned in Italy than Japan.

The Fiat on the other hand to me looks like they gave the Mazda design to American designers who put a US-style ugly/bulky front end on it (like some of the Chevrolet split grills)), unnecessary sculpting of the bonnet in an attempt to form some link with the previous car's namesake, and the rear taillights look like someone couldn't even be bothered to come up with a style to suit the rest of the car (the ND's tail lights to me look look like they belong on an Italian designed car).

At least for 2019, "those awful daytime lights" are gone:

From https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a21267933/2019-mazda-mx5-miata-horsepower-specs-details-news/

"The rest of the changes involve some new interior and exterior colors (as well as the absence of the ugly LED running lights)".

https://www.leftlanenews.com/leak-details-2019-mazda-mx5-miata-power-enhancement-100275.html states:

"The upgraded Skyactiv-G 2.0-liter engine jumps from 155 horsepower to 181 ponies..."

This is going to impress anyone who's familiar with how the orignal 2.0 ND feels, the extra power is very noticeable (most people can only notice power differences in "10kw chunks" via their butt dyno; this is ~"25kw" so you're really going to notice it).

When I originally upgraded my SE to an AEM CAI and bumped the boost to 10psi, it took the car to ~ 135rwkw(181rwhp) vs the stock ~110rwkw(148rwhp) and the improvement was very obvious and put a huge smile on my face (unfortunately it also led me to the darkside in a quest for "MOAR POWA!").

If the SE had that power straight out of the factory, it would have sold 10x as many as what it did because the car actually felt quick - as it was, with only ~110rwkw and a turbo that didn't feel like a turbo, I think many people went elsewhere or didn't think it was worth the extra $$$ for a few more kw than the standard NBs offered.

This will definitely bring more people into the MX5 fold and I suspect will have some selling their NDs for the newest iteration.

Does this mean they've sorted out the manual's gearbox issues too?
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Maths time!

181 - 155 = 26hp increase

26hp = ~20kw at the flywheel. At the wheels, maybe 15kw, or a little more. Nice, but not earth shattering.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 pm

^
Whoops, mixing my SE's rwkw gain with the gain in the 2019 ND (too much dicking around converting between hp and kw and throwing in my SE numbers too).

15rwkw will still be noticeable to the "butt dyno".
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:51 pm

Basically the same deal as the NC during it's lifetime.

Better engine internals = higher rev limit = more power, mostly at the top of the rev range..... :mrgreen:

I think the higher rev limit 7500 Vs. 6500 will be as welcome as the increase in power for most punters. :wink:
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

MikeVictor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby MikeVictor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 am

Drive.com.au quoted a 17kW power bump at the engine (118kW to 135kW) https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/mazda-powers-up-its-mx-5-roadster-118503 and a bit less by the time it gets to the wheels.

It's a nice revision IF it lands on our shores. Can't see why it wouldn't though.

As I mentioned earlier, anyone with a 2016-2018 ND can drop $700 on a tune to play catch up in terms of power and higher red-line if they want. Before the chiming in about warranty - yes yes, this will void warranty on some things, however after three years you're out of manufacturers warranty anyway. Merely stating this is an option for people so inclined.

The biggest thing is the price creep this change and some of the others coming in might have. One of the things that really attracted me to the 2016 GT I bought two years ago was it's price -$39k plus a few extras before negotiations. *shrug* all relative I guess.
ND GT with a loose nut behind wheel

lucmor444
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lucmor444 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 am

To me it would be inconceivable that we don’t get this update. It is being delivered to all other markets and there would be no way Mazda would build a separate, outdated version for Australia. I think Mazda Australia are just being coy about not confirming it’s arrival down under.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”