LED lights

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

adelaide_paul
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA6

LED lights

Postby adelaide_paul » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:43 pm

I am interested in replacing my parkers with LED globes with the view of them being bright enough to use as DRLs
Also, anyone had experience with replacing the headlights with LEDs?
I've seen several including these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxIbQIrq6Pc&t=321s

Not sure what's legal in Oz

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: LED lights

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 am

DRLs are covered by legislation- check your State reg- these will be available on line. My advice is buy proper DRLs - quality ones like Philips or Narva. These are not hard to fit and if you buy a kit its a plug and play style which will have the drls operating in the desired way. Fitment of one or 2 leds are not going to replicate a drl which is an important safety feature seemingly now on all new cars.

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:19 am

I believe the Canadian NAs had a DRL function that you might be able to retrofit but probably wouldn't technically be legal. I've also seen a fairly nice kit (on paper at least) in the UK but again, probably not technically legal here. As long as they operate correctly it's probably not something you'd get picked up for though. No doubt it'd give some peace of mind but really if someone isn't looking, they're not going to see you DRL or not.

In regards to the headlights I have seen 7" LED inserts that claimed to have ADR approval. They weren't cheap at around $1200 for a pair.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:59 am

apsilon wrote:I believe the Canadian NAs had a DRL function that you might be able to retrofit but probably wouldn't technically be legal.

If I recall correctly, the US/Canadian ones simply had wiring to allow the front indicators to stay lit in place of parking lamps.
ie: lit orange the whole time.

As well as not being legal here, it's also bloody annoying as you can't really tell when the car is indicating at a glance.

LEDs in place of the parking lamp bulbs is certainly the easiest, and cheapest, and will usually be legal enough (ie: legal if they're white/yellow, and you leave the wiring as normal and just turn on the parkers when you drive. Technically the bulbs should also be ADR approved, or whatever the equivalent is for bulbs)

Otherwise, you can buy separate DRL units and find a place to mount them on the front end.
better visibility, legal as long as you mount them right, but more costly. (also quite ugly, and far too bright normally, but that's my personal opinion)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby taminga16 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:58 pm

I have fitted Aerpro LED's to my NC, Mr M is correct purchase quality and ensure that you fit red LED's to the rear of your car.
Greg.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Good info from Taminga.
In the "day" drls were all incandescent. The only vehicle I know who still uses this obsolete technology for the function is the new Mustang. The yanks were well behind Europe with lighting and were still using sealed beams when Eu was into QH- still appears that the light has not gone on yet.
Banging on but a drl in led is such an important safety feature in a car which is probably about 20% of the height of many SUVs and twin cabs populating our roads.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:19 pm

There is no wiring in Oz/JDM models.
I DIYd it to use the indicators as DRLs. I read the ADRs and they can be white or orange.

Hammer
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Hammer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:44 pm

I have an NB8B, and after watching this from YouTube, I went and ordered a pair of the Auxbeam 9006/HB4 for the low beams and a pair of Auxbeam 9005/HB3 for the high beams.

And I have to say, the performance are just amazing. Perfect for the projector style low beam lights of the NB8B. They really provide a sharp horizontal cut-line with the light projection, avoiding dazzling incoming cars. The reflector high beam provides a deep and wide spread in front.

For over 10yrs I'd had a pair of Bosch HID lights for the low beams of my NB8B, and they've been terrific. But with the advancements of the LED bulb technology, IMO LEDs now surpasses HIDs.

LEDs are instantly bright, unlike a second or two that takes the HIDs, plus they have a smaller footprint within the car. LEDs with built in drivers (just like the Auxbeams I got), are essentially a plug and play affair. Compared to HIDs with their additional wiring and ballast - which was great to remove from the engine bay, when I switched over.

As mentioned, I've had the same HID kit in the NB8B for over 10 years and they've been extremely reliable. I just hope with these LED bulbs with their built-in cooling fans, will be just as reliable. Cooling fan reliability is probably the unknown quantity in this bulb. Fingers crossed they don't fail early.

I've had them in my car for a couple of months now and I'm happy with their performance so far.

H@mmer - 1994 Clubman | 2002 SP
GO TOPLESS!!!

Return to “MX5 General Chat”