ND rear muffler

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

jodes
Learner Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

ND rear muffler

Postby jodes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:58 am

Hi,

Has anyone tried the Automotive plus race muffler on the MX5 ND.

d4m0
Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Re: ND rear muffler

Postby d4m0 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am

I've not tried it, but keen to hear about it - how much better the sound is, and what kind of performance (??) improvements, not to mention what it actually looks like installed. Have you spoken to them about it? What other mods have you looked at/done?

jodes
Learner Driver

Postby jodes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:22 am

have spoken to them , however not sure what the drone would be like at motor way speeds.

p4e81
Learner Driver
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Postby p4e81 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:20 am

I have one. Nice deep note on idle, very masculine roar when you're stepping on it. Reving the car out in tunnels never once failed to make me smile. This isn't your high pitched fart can that comes standard on all second hand riced out civics.

The drone (~100hz) however is pretty bad as with most 'race' mufflers. At highway cruising speed around 3000 rpm it's the worst. You can still have a conversation with your passenger but will always be reminded of the fact that you pretty much have a straight pipe for a muffler. Luckily it wasn't that noticeable when the top is down... But hey, my top is more often up than down unfortunately.

Performance wise? 20 to 30 newly added horsepower to your ride, easy. Or that at least is what it sounds like. Put your car on a dyno and I'm sure you will see nil hp increase (you didnt really think an axleback change by itself would make any difference in power output did ya?). Treat this as a cosmetic mod only.

Loved mine when it was in my ND. But as much of a basshead I am, I now can no longer stand the highway drone and have recently uninstalled it. Maybe I'm getting too old for this. The stock muffler will suit me fine until I get a helmoltz/quarter-wave resonator welded onto my race pipe. I'm currently learning TIG welding just for this little project, so will definitely do it; and report back if I have success in improving it.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

jodes
Learner Driver

Postby jodes » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks, I ended up going mx5 parts , waiting on mid pipe to arrive then will fit full system headers,mid pipe & muffler. Will post results when fitted.

jodes
Learner Driver

Postby jodes » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:49 pm

When mx5 parts in NSW. Got there container in they have this new max power mid pipe, so I went with that. So ceramic coated headers, max power mid pipe & Q adjustable header version muffler. To say the difference was impressive both power/torque & sound would be a gross underestimate. Fantastic product no drone, but plenty of noise when on it. Great product, good fit, well done Goodwin racing.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”