JDM NA6CE - location of the build date?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Ross
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: JDM NA6CE - location of the build date?

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Mine is on a Club Plate with Vic roads as a Dec 90 build date.
My chassis number is 133683 so I'm assuming this spreadsheet lists the first chassis number of that month.
Cheers
Ross

1990 BRG V-Special, NB Koni sport with King springs, MS-03's

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:59 pm

twr7cx said "Please explain what is restrictive? "
Firstly I did not look at the SIV category. In Vic I fully support the AOMC / VR approach to CP system i.e. be a genuine car enthusiast and be part of the movement. There are already too many guys just taking advantage of a great system. No problem to be in a Club and also being active in a Club. In Tas the SIV is already only a 50% reduction in registration costs whereas in Vic its a cost of only about $90- close enough to 10% of full reg for 45 days and in Vic you can extend to 90 days. Vic presently is 25 years and Tas 30 years so an MX5 is currently still in the wings for Tas . At present Vic is easily the best scheme in AU - hopefully we dont stuff it up. I do think a genuine affordable scheme will and does save older cars from oblivion. Many of the CP cars are rarely dríven but least they are dríven occasionally rather than left to rot in sheds with dream of restoration or good intent that does not materialise

If licving in Tas you work with their system and 50% of cost of reg is well considering. Good luck- I dont think you will have a problem in getting it accepted when the 30 year ticks over- I would be amazed is they worry about what month.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:do think a genuine affordable scheme will and does save older cars from oblivion.

Yeah, suspect that more older cars are probably being restored to varying levels of condition, & may be more older cars are even being better maintained to delay refurb.

twr7cx
Fast Driver

Postby twr7cx » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:29 am

Mr Morlock wrote:In Tas the SIV is already only a 50% reduction in registration costs whereas in Vic its a cost of only about $90- close enough to 10% of full reg for 45 days and in Vic you can extend to 90 days.

It's $261.80 for SIV rego for a 4 cylinder light vehicle in Tas < https://www.transport.tas.gov.au/fees_f ... t_vehicles > which is 47% of full registration but our full registration looks to be about half the price of Victorias so it's probably comparatively 25% of full Victoria registration then. That's for 52 days though and doesn't require Club membership and certification letters which based on the MX5 Victoria Club pricing looks to add around $120.00 a year which ends up with both schemes being relatively close in total pricing.

Yes, you are right though, 30 years requirement is a pain and MX5s will only begin to be eligible next year, but not much one can do about that.

We do have a Club Event Registration down here < https://www.transport.tas.gov.au/regist ... club_event >but it restricts the vehicles movements to only being Club and event related which is too restrictive for enjoying the vehicle.

My NA6 is currently unregistered. I purchased it from Victoria and moved it here on the previous owner Club plate. The idea behind purchasing it was for a cheapish fun car for occasional use - it's why I was specifically chasing an 89 model as I knew I would be about to SIV it sooner. With the current pricing it will cost me $500.00 a year for SIV rego and full comprehensive insurance. I can live with that.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 am

Victorian Club Permit Scheme also initially requires a Roadworthy Certificate which these days costs about $200. And here in Vic unless the windscreen has relatively recently been replaced, a replacement windscreen will be on the cards, so add another $250.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:58 pm

My car hits 25 in September. Have to approach the Club and find a friendly Roadworthy tester.....

Wombit
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Wombit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:00 pm

93_Clubman wrote:Victorian Club Permit Scheme also initially requires a Roadworthy Certificate which these days costs about $200. And here in Vic unless the windscreen has relatively recently been replaced, a replacement windscreen will be on the cards, so add another $250.

Surely, you do not have to replace an original windscreen that has no cracks or stone chips? What would require the screen to be replaced in Vic? Up in QLD, you only have to replace it if there are chips or cracks in the driver's field of vision.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Over time a windscreen gets sandblasted by grit. When driving into the sun it causes a sparkly effect. Thus the reason why my 22 yr old screen got replaced for RW. It would apply Aust wide.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Old windscreens are one of those things you don't realise how bad (dangerous) they are until it's replaced with a new one ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:25 am

bruce wrote:Over time a windscreen gets sandblasted by grit.

Indeed, the sandblast effect.
Wombit wrote:Up in QLD, you only have to replace it if there are chips or cracks in the driver's field of vision.

And if you have a very close look at the outside of a high km windscreen that's what you'll see, many tiny chips.

twr7cx
Fast Driver

Postby twr7cx » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks for the responses.

With VIN 6U90000NA6CE109296, it looks like mine is likely to be late December 1989 or early January 1990 based on the NA6 MX5 Register < viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34871&start=135 >. A little bit newer than I expected.

< https://www.japan-partner.com/check-man ... e-year.php > had no data for my VIN.

The 'roadster_vins.xls' document places it as just prior to January 1990, so late December 1989 it is.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”