When is an NA too old (or too high kilometres)

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

aSimpleLife
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: When is an NA too old (or too high kilometres)

Postby aSimpleLife » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:31 pm

JBT wrote:Get an NC and be done with it. :lol:

Yes an NC is probably about the best price point now. Last year my sister (all 3 of us siblings had mx5's at the same time :)) sold her one owner low km NC and struggled to get 12k for it I think. Although from what I read here the ride of the NC is not so much for the driver? (it apparently gets worse with the newer models?). I must say I wished I had a 6 speed after driving my 6 speed VW van. At 100kmh in an 1800 it feels like it's going too hard. But when I read about working on the gear box, I am happy I have the 5 speed NB8A.

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lonesailor » Wed May 29, 2019 12:38 pm

My daily is a 1996 Hilux with 360,000 km of which 240,000 are mine. I has cost me less than $1000 in repairs including a new clutch, which really wasn't needed as the rear oil seal was leaking. My toy car is a 1996 NA8 with 260,000 km of which 49,000 are mine. It has also cost me a bit over $1300 in repairs/preventative maintenance due to a blown head gasket caused by a blown heater hose, which I really should have replaced when I bought the car. The ute's a bit tired but completely reliable, the 5 is in excellent condition , as it was when I bought it. Had I bought a new car all those years ago it would have had to be special to satisfy the practicality of the ute and the fun of the Mazda so would have cost a lot. I would have been encouraged to replace it every 100,000km or so, so I would now be on my third new car, I would have had to finance them, my insurance cost would have been much higher, even if I would have saved on registration. My fuel costs would have been less but my maintenance costs would have increased tenfold at least as I would have been forced to have a dealer service/repair them. I would have been reliant on friends or taxis every time they would have needed service and their depreciation losses would have been more than what I paid for both of my cars in the first place. Personally when/if either of them ever need replacing they will be replaced, like for like, with Japanese models no later than 2007

yertimer
Driver

Postby yertimer » Thu May 30, 2019 8:24 am

I agree with Lonesailor about cost effectiveness. I have an old diesel Landcruiser that's done over 350k's, and a 1994 NA8 Clubman that has done over 185k's. Neither are worth very much so buying updated versions of either would cost more than it's worth to me. Both have been incredibly reliable. The Landcruiser has cost $1k in maintenance in the last 5 years - a new steering rack, and new rear wheel bearings. The NA8 is my toy and has had no major repairs since I bought it over 12 years ago even though it gets track use. Having said that both now have bluetooth stereos in them so I can talk on the phone. If a car has been well maintained and looked after (and is Japanese) then longevity and cost effectiveness should be very good. Both are well short of modern safety features, but then again neither are daily drivers. If cost effectiveness and reliability are the primary issues then look at the service history. However, if you want a daily driver, I can't argue against the importance of safety features and so I would get the latest version of a car possible for the budget.
NA8 94 Clubman

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Thu May 30, 2019 12:08 pm

The NA is a modern(ish) classic. They're not a bloody Hyundai or a Toyota. Comparisons are stupid.

You own one because you love to drive it. Period.
’95 NA8

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Thu May 30, 2019 3:36 pm

Very interesting comments from Lonesailor and Yertimer- enjoyable reading. You can expect anything over 500.000 kms out of Lnadcruisers but many change their cars for an update. Later cars are likely to be safer cars- an NC is going to be better than an NA - 2 airbags beats none etc- Yer. Incidentally I reckon the NC is a better drive as wel - I went from NB to C and its a very nice bit of kit- no regrets. If we boil everything down to price points life might be a bit dull.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”