When is an NA too old (or too high kilometres)

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

wasp47
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: When is an NA too old (or too high kilometres)

Postby wasp47 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Put it this way
I am 71 years of age and quite fit
But nowhere near as fit as I was at 17 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spac
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Spac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:08 am

Consumer electronics are all utter garbage. I used to say "if you had a car that was as unreliable as your phone, you would set fire to it" - but now we (collectively) are most of the way to being conditioned to accept cars that are useless too.
There's a blog post out there called "everything is broken", about how the IT world is dodgy patch upon dodgy patch - the same basics apply to consumer electronics, including those in cars.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:22 pm

Thats an absurd statement about cars not being as good or being as unreliable as so called mobile phones. The argument older is better for cars will fail at almost all criteria. Phones or should we say pocket computers are astounding devices capable to communicate with people and knowledge and banking etc etc.
Maybe the lads on the forum dont know about old cars lack of reliability, appalling build quality, little process control in manufacture, lethal crash worthiness ,substandard designs, lack of resources put into R&D, high purchase prices , limited warranties, poor performance on almost all counts etc. The NA is not in that class- it does tick a lot of boxes and its a fine sports car for enthusiasts but its not really a sensible daily driver. Still people can drive what they want and hopefully in cars that at least roadworthy.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:53 pm

But that's just.. like... my opinion... man.

It goes:

Better engineering
Better engineering
Better engineering
Better engineering
EFI
Better EFI
Stagnant
Gadgets and planned obsolescence.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

track_addict
Fast Driver

Postby track_addict » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:44 pm

To satisfy Morlock, yes modern cars are worlds apart in terms of safety. But for the enthusiast who wants to feel “engaged,” they’re generally sh*t. Fantastic at being proper fast but not anywhere near as fun. Now, could you stop flogging a dead horse ffs.
89' Roadster - Sold
'04 SE - Sunlight Silver.

Spac
Driver

Postby Spac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 pm

NitroDann wrote:Image

But that's just.. like... my opinion... man.

It goes:

Better engineering
Better engineering
Better engineering
Better engineering
EFI
Better EFI
Stagnant
Gadgets and planned obsolescence.

Dann

This. Modern cars don't rust like old cars did. They don't wear out motors like old cars did.

Regardless of whether it is sloppy engineering or a deliberate ploy, there's a lot of stuff in modern cars that make them problematic.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Ha ha....i recall looking at my first mariner blue in about 1991. Thinking when i lifted the bonnet....holy shite. Never going to touch that.
It needs to be said, I was used to Morris Minors, Cooper S's, VW Combis& VK Commodores....LOL

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

trader
Racing Driver

Postby trader » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 am

Saw these Panthers in Cosgaya,Italy yesterday. Spoke to the owners who, when I mentioned mx’s said they were too modern to be considered real roadsters. I set them straight with info on the NA no p/s no air etc compared to their V6’s.

E8233195-B725-471B-A83C-B79F1AB4243B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NB SE, NA 1.8.

mekros
Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby mekros » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the perspectives and upside down photos.

As much as I want to get an NA, the minister of finance and fun has said I need to sell some other toys first. I'll still be on the hunt, more passively though.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:57 am

FTFY Dann

Beaters.jpg

I have a son in the States using US cars for work and family. He talks to me about maintenance with them. Rockers, steering knuckle failures, sagging springs, chain drive gearboxes, ... It's like time travelling back to my early days with BMCs and Fiats.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. 2005-2010 is my sweet spot for buying family cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
’95 NA8

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am

I reckon by 2004 that curve should already be pointing down. Having much experience with an 04 Falcon and an 04 X-Trail, I'd rank my 1990 Mazda and my 1994 Barina, as more reliable. But the Falcon is not bad, just no better. The X-trail is worse.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

aSimpleLife
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby aSimpleLife » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:The data is out there and you and your passengers are safer in newer models - thats not fiction its borne out by stats.

I personally prefer an older car for it's simplicity to work on. I would have loved an NA but just could not find a decent one at the time so went with a nice NB8A. I have been fortunate so far not to have a major accident or be seriously injured myself. And regarding safety I have decided I am happy to take that risk myself and am usually a fair defensive driver. However I find I am increasingly of your opinion.

Went out for a walk the other morning and it was gridlock on my local highway. Got to the set of lights outside the pub and there was a Golf completely crushed front and back. It was part of a 10 vehicle pile up with an old Landcruiser in front and a skip truck behind who didn't seem to have been paying enough attention. The driver just had no chance and nowhere to go...no matter how defensively she was driving. When I drew level with the wreck expecting to see the ambo in it applying the blanket, she was actually talking to the driver, who while stuck in the crushed shell of her Golf, seemed to be unhurt (or on morphine). While I do understand crumple zones, it is amazing to see them in action, probably saving a life.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:42 pm

My favourite car of all those I have owned was my 1976 Toyota Celica 1600LT.
It stopped well, was acceptably brisk off the mark, lovely to steer with good handling, had NO electronics of any kind, was extremely reliable, easy to work on, parts were cheap, a quality product throughout. I wish I had never sold it. Should have put $20K into it and dríven it for the rest of my life.
The prospect of having to buy some modern shitheap full of unwanted and pointless electronics designed to titillate the unwashed fills me with fear and loathing. Nobody but the Dealers want to work on the mongrel things and service costs an arm and leg.
I don't give a rats about all the safety features on modern cars - I'll take my chances - nor the 5 or 7 year warranties that are essentially worthless because they won't replace it if it is a lemon anyhow.
The next "family" and "sports car" is going to be a very difficult decision.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 pm

When is an NA too old (or too high kilometres)?
Probably now.
Get an NC and be done with it. :lol:

aSimpleLife
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby aSimpleLife » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Rocky wrote:My favourite car of all those I have owned was my 1976 Toyota Celica 1600LT.

I loved those cars. Such a great look. Had the 1980 LT2000 hatchback myself. Didn't look as good but still a nice ride.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”