Historic VS Classic Registration (NSW)

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

goonie
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Historic VS Classic Registration (NSW)

Postby goonie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone know the difference between the two? It appears that to get historic registration a car needs to be stock (or as close to as possible).

Classic registration on the other hand doesn't mention anything about mods. Let's say a Na6 had i/h/e mods and lowered, would that mean classic registration is an alternative to historic?

CeramicND
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Re: Historic VS Classic Registration (NSW)

Postby CeramicND » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 pm

goonie wrote:Hi All,

Does anyone know the difference between the two? It appears that to get historic registration a car needs to be stock (or as close to as possible).

Classic registration on the other hand doesn't mention anything about mods. Let's say a Na6 had i/h/e mods and lowered, would that mean classic registration is an alternative to historic?
Definitely interested in this topic. Currently building a Clubman Class NA6 and wondering about rego when it turns 30 (September 2019).

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Eibach Springs, Racing Beat Sport/Race Muffler, Shorai/Arrows Battery Kit, Nielex Knuckle Supports, Advanti 17 x 7 S2's, Hankook 215/45/17 RS3's.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:15 pm

30 years in NSW? 1989 cars are almost there.

RS2000
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby RS2000 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:10 pm

goonie wrote:Hi All,
Classic registration on the other hand doesn't mention anything about mods.

I researched all this a little while back. Historic is supposed to be close to original!!
Classic is for modified 30 year old cars, & is mentioned under 'Classic Vehicles' on the RMS website. The mods must meet the same rules as fully registered cars, & are shown on VSI 6.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf

Cheers

1600Dave
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby 1600Dave » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Historic:

Limited to cars that are very close to stock. You may get away with very mild mods, eg exhaust or wheels depending on the vehicle registrar / policy of your club.
Only available to members of a car club which participates in the scheme.
Can only be used to participate in club-sanctioned events. Can be events put on by your club or by other clubs so long as your club recognises these events.

Classic:

Can be used for up to 60 days for general purposes in addition to club events. eg you can just get up in the morning and decide its a nice day to drive your classic to work.
Still need to be a member of a club which participates in the scheme.
Modified vehicles are acceptable, although they will need an engineer's certificate - its not a loophole to drive un-engineered modified vehicles on the road.

So yeah, biggest difference is how often / when you can drive the car, and whether the car is modified.

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32 pm

That's not true Dave. Historic has exactly the same use conditions as Classic.
Most Historic registered cars, including mine, have changed to the 60 day logbook scheme (which is a trial scheme).

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Bad choice of words by me! Should have said "that's not correct" instead of "that's not true".
Cheers

CeramicND
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby CeramicND » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am

Historic and Classic are permitted 60 days of logged personal use plus any Club activity (not logged). A yearly sheet is issued by the RMS with your registration.

Historic registration is done via the RMS (NSW) with a pink slip.

Classic registration is done via the Council of Motor Clubs (CMC) and requires a blue slip for first Club rego. Then a yearly pink slip each year thereafter and a $25 payment to the CMC.

Ongoing costs are $25 yearly to the CMC, $44 (from memory) for the rego, $35 pink slip and insurance. My NA is insured with NRMA Classic Insurance for $10K and cost $130/year. So for less than $250 a year you can have a comprehensively insured car for 60 days personal use and as many approved club activities as you want.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Eibach Springs, Racing Beat Sport/Race Muffler, Shorai/Arrows Battery Kit, Nielex Knuckle Supports, Advanti 17 x 7 S2's, Hankook 215/45/17 RS3's.

Danny
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Danny » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:15 pm

I recently read that the age is going to be dropped next year to 25 from 30 in NSW. Can't find that info anymore so does anyone know?

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:41 pm

That is cheap to comprehensively insure your car with NRMA Classic insurance.
Note that I'm in Vic - Just had a look at their website and it talks about Classic and Green Slips (NSW). I wonder if I can get cheap comprehensive cover in Vic? I'm with Shannons, on a H-plate (25 years) and their Third Party and/or Comprehensive is pretty much a normal rate (so not cheap).

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:58 pm

Bruce you can easily get cheaper insurance for the H plate car- RACV have Classic car insurance and a much better rate than Shannons. Seeing as you in Vic can only use the car max 90 days a year then it should be cheaper than full reg. At a guess the NRMA and RACV may be using the same underwriter for the classic cars. Expect to pay about $150 for the red plate car. Incidentally if you get the RACV classic car insurance they give you free RACV call out- i.e. tows etc.
At present Vic has probably the best system but that might not last.
If people are fair dinkum and are involved with clubs and drive an old car as an enthusiast it works well. Some just buy old rockets that are charmless, rusty and not well maintained just for cheap reg and probably log books that don't reflect the cars real number of trips in a year.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:36 pm

I forgot something big- mine is heavily modified so I think Shannons was my only option. Other instance coys weren't interested.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:28 am

the question is did u get a quote from RACV for a red plate car.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Anything modified most if not all insurance coys baulk at (apart from Shannons, etc).

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Well you will not know until you ask.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”