86 or MX-5

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: 86 or MX-5

Postby JBT » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:10 am

ManiacLachy wrote:I love the look of the 5 door 1 series, I'd take it over the others you mentioned any day. I wish they made an "M" in that body style - not that I could afford it, but I think it would be awesome. I also like the look of the coupe, but if I'm going to have the practicality of a roof, then I'm also going to have the practicality of a big boot!

Well the M135i/M140i will give you a severe kick in the pants and is almost M3 performance. The M235i/M240i coupe is similarly powered and has a descent boot with split/folding rear seats. The 1M coupe is an absolute weapon and good value used - also has a good sized boot and folding seats.

I'd settle for a 340i to replace the 135i coupe and Mazda6 as an all round grandad car.

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:51 am

Rocky wrote:If only the BMW 1 Series 5 Door looked like a Ford Focus.
It really isn't an attractive looking small car.
My next 'family car' will need to be a small hatch in the BMW 1 Series/Golf GTi/Focus/Hyundai i30N category.
I would love to buy a BMW 1 series 5 door because of the front engine, rear wheel drive, and a Manual gearbox but I struggle with the styling. Looks like it was thrown together. A big re-style would be welcome.
Alternately the 2 Series with a hatch instead of a boot would be good.

Totally agree with you Rocky, love the configuration of the BMW 1 series but could never buy it due to looks - does that make me shallow?
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:27 pm

I reckon that overall the 130i looks great, except for the rear, they must have being trying to compete with Renault Megane 2 for ugly rear ends!

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:52 pm

To my eyes, the recent 'face-lift' improved the look at the front somewhat - still a bit 'blunt-object' but OK.
The straight-on back look is just fine.
It's the side/3/4 appearance that's the problem for me.
It looks very heavy and poorly resolved. I would change that heavy-looking 'C' pillar as per below for a smoother line from front to rear.

Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:01 pm

Rocky wrote:I would change that heavy-looking 'C' pillar as per below for a smoother line from front to rear.

Then you'd be sacked because it wouldn't look like a BMW Rocky. :D That C pillar reverse "kink" is iconic.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:23 pm

"Characteristic" maybe, but an "icon" it ain't.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:33 pm

I thought arbitrarily complex design using as many proprietary parts/fasterners as possible, and extremely costly repairs was an iconic part of BMW.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Lokiel wrote:
Rocky wrote:If only the BMW 1 Series 5 Door looked like a Ford Focus.
It really isn't an attractive looking small car.
My next 'family car' will need to be a small hatch in the BMW 1 Series/Golf GTi/Focus/Hyundai i30N category.
I would love to buy a BMW 1 series 5 door because of the front engine, rear wheel drive, and a Manual gearbox but I struggle with the styling. Looks like it was thrown together. A big re-style would be welcome.
Alternately the 2 Series with a hatch instead of a boot would be good.

Totally agree with you Rocky, love the configuration of the BMW 1 series but could never buy it due to looks - does that make me shallow?

I think the NA looks way better than the NB SE, that front is an affront to sensibility. Does that make me sound shallow? :lol:

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:49 pm

Rocky wrote:"Characteristic" maybe, but an "icon" it ain't.

iconic
adjective us ​ /ɑɪˈkɑn·ɪk/
relating to or characteristic of a famous person or thing that represents something of importance.

"The Hofmeister Kink,...……..is a small inward kink at the base of the C-Pillar. As the C-Pillar slopes back towards the trunk of the car, right before it would normally end, it kinks back inward. Named after BMW design director, Wilhelm Hofmeister, the famous Kink first debuted on the 1961 BMW 1500, which was part of the “Neue Klasse” of BMW vehicles." I reckon that fits the definition of iconic.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks for that bit of elucidation JB. All those years of being a BMW fan and I never noticed it. It is prominent on one of my favourite BMW models, the 3.0 CSL. It looks good on the sedans because of the slimmer 'C' pillar and the longer boot that carries the 'weight' more gracefully.
For me, the word "important" carries more significance than the word "characteristic" in the definition of 'iconic', but I wouldn't spoil the friendship arguing over that.
The bottom line is how it looks and as a car styling freak all my life, it just looks crook to me. Everybody to their own, but it is a deal-breaker for me.
Given that it is "iconic" :lol: I guess there is not much chance BMW are going to change it in the future either.
Which leaves me with front-wheel-drive in the case of the Golf GTi or in the case of the Focus RS, AWD. (I just noticed that the Focus has the Hofmeister Kink)

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:29 pm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :mrgreen:

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Iconic - over used next to meaningless word - a bit like awesome at the end of the day. I laughed at the expression about the design of the Z4 when it was suggested that a machete was applied to the rear end of the thing. The 86 is a pretty cool looking car- clean lines, compact and actually a sports car not just a heavy tank like the best selling "sports car" in Au at present.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Just what it this best selling "sports car" to which Mr Morlock refers? I'm guessing Mustang?

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:18 pm

I'd be guessing it would be a hatchback, seeing as how the NRMA, RACQ, and some motoring magazines obviously cant tell the difference between a hot hatch and a sports car.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:50 pm

I've got one of those hot hatches downstairs (but not one of those that you listed Rocky), baby sitting it for someone while they are overseas. It's certainly a lot quicker than either of my 5's. Is it as fun as a 5? Well, it's a different type of fun.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”