Full-size Spare in the boot

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Full-size Spare in the boot

Postby Rocky » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Until recently I had believed that it was impossible to fit one of the wheels off the car in the boot of an NA/NB.
I had tried and couldn't get it past the bulge in the boot-liner that covers the locking mechanism. It emerged that my efforts were being frustrated by the fact that I had installed a 'cut-to-shape' thin sheet of MDF under the boot mat to cover the 'Space-Saver well'.
Whilst in Central Queensland on the MX5 Car Club Run, Charcoal mentioned that he could squeeze a full-size spare in, which motivated me to have another go, after removing the Space-Saver, mat and MDF. It is tight but can be squeezed in.
Does anybody actually carry a full-size spare around instead of the Space-Saver? For a long drive I'd really like to carry a full-size spare.
What are the NCs like? Can you get one in the boot?
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Full-size Spare in the boot

Postby JBT » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Rocky wrote:For a long drive I'd really like to carry a full-size spare. What are the NCs like? Can you get one in the boot?

You can put an FD RX-7 space saver in the boot but you will never get the 17" wheel you take off in there.
Boot Wheel Space.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 am

Boot shapes differ between NA and NB. It's always been possible to get a full sized spare in an NA boot but I never realised you could do it in an NB.

Here's a full tread 205/50R15 on 15x7 in my NA boot. I think that's about the practical limit.

’95 NA8

mazdaz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC - LE

Postby mazdaz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:22 am

After having to replace two front tyres recently (one was spiked) I can confirm you cannot fit a rimless Tyre in the boot of an NC.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Interesting. The NB is of course a 205X45X16.
It occurs to me that the Full-size spare might be easier to squeeze into my boot if it was at low pressure - which of course would require me to carry either a foot-pump or maybe a can of pressurised air (no experience with this). Would like to carry the Full-size but not keen on forcing it past the bulge over the boot locking mechanism.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:10 pm

I just carry one of these licorice strip kits in both the MX-5 and BMW. I've used the licorice strips on both cars - works a treat.

Tyre Repair Kit.JPG

The NC comes with a pump and slime. I bought a Green Slime kit with pump and slime for the BMW. I'd only use the slime if the licorice strips don't work for some reason.

slime-air-compressor-slime-air-compressor-troubleshooting-slime-air-compressor-hose-slime-air-pump-replacement-parts-slime-air-compressor.jpg

If all else fails - RACQ Ultimate. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Rocky wrote:Interesting. The NB is of course a 205X45X16.
It occurs to me that the Full-size spare might be easier to squeeze into my boot if it was at low pressure - which of course would require me to carry either a foot-pump or maybe a can of pressurised air (no experience with this). Would like to carry the Full-size but not keen on forcing it past the bulge over the boot locking mechanism.

*pic*

Just for reference, if you flip the wheel over you can avoid scratching the face of it on the upper edge of the boot.
Plus, the back hollow of the wheel can then be used to hold things rather than be wasted space.

With regard to fitting it int the boot, if you take out the boot carpets it will likely fit without having to force it.
Not the prettiest, but an option for long trips if you really want the spare.

Otherwise, you can always buy a second bootlid that's alreayd fairly rough and just bolt a holder to it for the spare.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Kansei, even with Space-saver and felt liner removed, you still have to force the Full-size spare past the hard-liner that covers the boot locking mechanism (see piccy) It deforms this part of the hard-liner but can be forced past - I'd rather not as it won't take too much of this before you damage the hard-liner. There's only about an inch in it (as the actress said to the Bishop). If the Full-size spare was an inch less in diameter it would fit in without a squeeze.
Good point about the orientation of the Full-size wheel but you would need some thick plastic on the boot floor to avoid scratching the face of the wheel. That wouldn't be a problem - clearing the hard liner covering the boot lock mechanism is the problem.

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:29 pm

JBT wrote:I just carry one of these licorice strip kits in both the MX-5 and BMW. I've used the licorice strips on both cars - works a treat.

Tyre Repair Kit.JPG

Have a large kit that I use for 4WDing and have repaired many tyres over the years. Didn't realise they made small kits like that (though I'd be a little worried about the plastic handles). Good to know. Could be a good option along with a small air compressor.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:51 pm

hks_kansei wrote:
Rocky wrote:Interesting. The NB is of course a 205X45X16.

*pic*

Just for reference, if you flip the wheel over you can avoid scratching the face of it on the upper edge of the boot.
Plus, the back hollow of the wheel can then be used to hold things rather than be wasted space.

With regard to fitting it int the boot, if you take out the boot carpets it will likely fit without having to force it.
Not the prettiest, but an option for long trips if you really want the spare.

Otherwise, you can always buy a second bootlid that's already fairly rough and just bolt a holder to it for the spare.

Couple of points here. Not all NBs have 16s. I fitted a 205/50x15 (same as 205/45x16?) on a 7in rim in my boot many a time - cosy, but a bit of jiggling did the job. IIRC I could slide it off-centre, which made navigating the boot lock mechanism easier. Note, different tyres have different diameters, the AO50s are bigger than average. So if you NEED to fit a tyre in the boot, go get some 15s :lol: Otherwise, check your tyre dimensions before buying to ensure you can get it in. I doubt that deflating it will make it easy, tyres are pretty rigid.

The alternative is to use a removable (or not) boot rack. Before I got the tyre trailer for the GM, I used a boot rack to carry one of my R-specs to the circuit, with a simple bracket to take a couple of bolts through the lug holes. Only put it on when needed, I was happy with that solution until the amount of stuff I was taking mandated more room. Mine did not require drilling/modifying the bootlid.

Regarding the sealant, we had an ND drop a wheel off the bitumen on a club run, the bitumen sliced the inside of tyre - the goo was not up to it, and that necessitated a 2 hour drive to get a spare off another car. It could have been worse.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:07 pm

greenMachine wrote:Regarding the sealant, we had an ND drop a wheel off the bitumen on a club run, the bitumen sliced the inside of tyre - the goo was not up to it....

Yeah, that is one I worry about - and the bloody huge potholes that appear on our wonderful roads that can wreck a wheel and tyre. :evil:

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:09 pm

I would not worry about the NB because it has a space saver which gets you going. A wheel will fit in the boot albeit maybe not closed. A critical thing really for touring is having "total care" - thats standard practise for many guys running older cars and touring with them. The NC has no space saver and the RX8 version is not readily available.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 pm

MM, as much as I dislike the idea of ever using the Space-saver, I guess I have already 'voted' on that one as I have been driving around with ONLY the Space-saver in the boot for 14 years. Admittedly only within about a 50klm radius of where I live.
If I was to take it on a much longer drive, I would like to carry a Full-size spare. I had dismissed the possibility of getting one in the boot until Charcoal advised me it was possible.
What's needed is a composite bootlid with a big bulge to take the Full-size spare sitting vertically.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Rocky wrote:Hi Kansei, even with Space-saver and felt liner removed, you still have to force the Full-size spare past the hard-liner that covers the boot locking mechanism (see piccy) It deforms this part of the hard-liner but can be forced past - I'd rather not as it won't take too much of this before you damage the hard-liner. There's only about an inch in it (as the actress said to the Bishop). If the Full-size spare was an inch less in diameter it would fit in without a squeeze.
Good point about the orientation of the Full-size wheel but you would need some thick plastic on the boot floor to avoid scratching the face of the wheel. That wouldn't be a problem - clearing the hard liner covering the boot lock mechanism is the problem.

ahh, from the pic it looked like it was only just shy of slipping past. (that and my memory of fitting a wheel into the boot of mine, although the NB8A uses 195/50/15

The cover over the lock mechanism is easily removed, but doing so does indeed leave the locking rods in the open for the tyre to jam against.

The idea of a taller bootlid would be great, albeit far from the most visually appealing option.
I still have a spare bootlid that I was intending on putting a luggage rack/tyre holder onto, but never got around to it.
Plus, I rarely use my car for long trips these days, I tend to just take the stationwagon. Better on fuel, comfier, and easier to repair should the need arise.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm

I need to deform the boot-liner between 1 1/2 and 2 cms to get the tyre past.

Just had another thought. I have a set of spare OE 16" wheels doing nothing. What about I fit a 195X45X16 Tyre on one of my 16" rims to use as a spare (instead of the original 205X45X16) the reduction in overall diameter might be just enough to do it. What do you think?
I found quite a few brands that offer that size - some of the more reasonably priced are:
Bridgestone Dayton, Continental Conti Premium Contact 2, Hankook Ventus S1 evo, Kumho Solus Ecsta HS51 .
I'm assuming the centimetre or so in overall diameter and smaller width would have negligible impact on overall handling??

Return to “MX5 General Chat”