How you get a charge

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

How you get a charge

Postby Rocky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 pm

As I mentioned in the "Shitz" thread, my hardly-used Trickle-Charger no longer works. Looks like I need a new one.
It will be used as a "Trickle-charger" to maintain the NB's 8 yo OE Panasonic battery.
Crystal normally gets a 100k open-road run every week but a couple of times a year we go on hols for a few weeks and I am not confident that an 8 yo battery will handle sitting at home in the garage for that amount of time without it's regular run.
I have had a bit of a search on here and a Charger that gets a recommendation is the "CTEK XSO.8" which I find is available on eBay for $84.50
(I want the permanent battery terminal connections that come with this particular item as it allows easy safe connection to power.)
It is described as a charger for charging "smaller 12V batteries found in MCs, JetSkis, ATVs and lawnmowers." It also says :
"also suitable for maintenance charging “normal- sized” batteries such as car batteries."
I am not interested in anything costing more than $100. as this is only going to get used occasionally.
Anyone have any suggestions as to better Trickle-Chargers that can be purchased on eBay OR through REPCO, Supacheap or Autobarn.

Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: How you get a charge

Postby Okibi » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 pm

I have the Ctek MXS 5, does a good job

I also have one of these i've been too lazy to install

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/i ... panel-1-5m
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Just get a C-TEK you won't regret it. I had a Haigh before my C-TEK. It refused to acknowledge any battery that was less than 20% full and eventually fused. I was very lucky not to lose the shed and two cars.
’95 NA8

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 am

+1 for C-Tek. I also have a 5.0 one for the track cars tiny agm, but the 0.8ones would be just as good for top up usage.

I’m actually thinking about getting another one for mower, trailer use in the winter months where they’re not used much.

charcoal
Racing Driver

Postby charcoal » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:41 am

another +1 for C -Tek
When we replaced the original equipment battery on our NB around 3 years ago, the RACQ Batteries technician recommended C- Tek for Gel battery charging. Autobarn had a special offer which was too good to miss - MXS 7.0 for less than $100. It has proved to be exactly what we need when recharging is required for our "stable" and is simple to use.
Our car gets significantly less use than yours and only sees the light of day on MX5CQ runs. That said, we have another solution to the discharging problem that is common. We have one of the battery disconnection devices attached to the terminal and find that the car always has sufficient charge to enable an easy start every time we need it. The only "negative" (pun intended) to this arrangement is that the trip meter readings are lost and need to re-set the radio station buttons...no biggies.
Over the years, various inexpensive old style battery chargers and a couple of trickle chargers have been tried and can't really be recommended.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:25 am

Thanks Guys, that makes it easy. I have ordered the CTEK.
Manga, your comment about the Charger that fused caught my attention. Being a bit of a "worry-wort" by nature I must admit to wondering if I really want the MX5 connected to the Trickle-charger while I am away for a few weeks. So there actually IS some risk involved with these devices?

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:00 am

Personally I'd never leave a battery charger unattended, far too much risk of a short/fire.

If i were going on a long distance trip I'd just remove the battery and sit it in the shed somewhere (no chance of current draw), then just use a normal charger when I got home (if it needed a topup)

No fire risk, and also the benefit of making the car harder to steal should somebody break into the house while i'm away.
(granted, if I'm going away I tend to also remove a few other bits from the car so it wont start, battery or not)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 am

^+1

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:20 pm

OK - that sounds like a plan. I'll be able to sleep soundly on hols knowing my car & house aren't burning down.

The sales spiel says:
"The CTEK XS 0.8 battery charger is IP 65 classified (splash and dust proof), delivers 0.8A and is designed to protect vehicle electronics. It is non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof. "

Whether this means anything I wouldn't know.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:27 pm

An expensive charger (Ctek) I have 2 trickle chargers and never had a problem with them and used regularly. I would not leave my NB for more than 2 weeks without a trickle on it.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:32 pm

All good stuff, and sound like good useful safety features.

But I'd still just prefer to charge it once I got home, safety things are like insurance, you buy them in the hope that you've wasted your money.

worth noting, my battery charger is an old scabby Arlec thing with literally 3 lights on it and nothing more (flat-charging-charged) so i'm probably swayed towards being more risk averse since it doesn't have any safety features at all.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:55 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Personally I'd never leave a battery charger unattended, far too much risk of a short/fire.

:BROADY:

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 pm

I have a big 5amp ctek. No issues. Pretty sure I brought it through ebay.

But - why spend $100 on a charger to maintain a 8yo $100 battery?

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 pm

^ :BROADY:

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Well of course it's the OE Panasonic - the last one cost $420. in 2010.
I retired the previous one before it failed at 9 years and I'd like to get at least another year out of this one.
Driving only once a week with a 2 - 3 week holiday a couple of times a year, I figure any battery, old or new should benefit from a Trickle-charge now and then.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”