2019 MX5–anyone actually see one in Oz yet?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Re: 2019 MX5–anyone actually see one in Oz yet?

Postby StanTheMan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:58 am

Well....with 135 kw on tap this should start getting exiting. Its only taken 25 yeRs since yhe WRX came out & blew us all away with the 150kw.
But since it lacks huge torque its still going to be a very well tempered car.

I would actually consider a new mx5 with the new specs Although its not on the cards any time soon. But its becoming to where i alwas felt the NA 6 should have been.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

d4m0
Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby d4m0 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:09 pm

few more photos, taken by the opticoat/tinting guys I used.

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StuwieP » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:48 pm

d4m0 wrote:

These two look properly good.
Beautiful car.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:08 am

StuwieP wrote:These two look properly good.
Beautiful car.

Thanks Stuwie - it's funny how we all have different angles we like. I picked a different one of the "favourite photos" thread, but having seen your selection, I wonder if I made a mistake! Maybe I should accept it just looks amazing from any angle :wink:

Can't say I'm a fan of the aerial or the rear-view camera mind you, but we can't all be perfect?

Joeljoel1947
Learner Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Joeljoel1947 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 pm

d4m0 WOW!!! JUST WOW!! That Blue is simply stunning! She looks amazing mate! 8) :shock: :shock:

Can you tell me a little more about the tint and coating you had put on? Is there a local chapter of that same company for me in Melbourne or Sydney that can do something similar? I'd really like to protect the paint and if the windows are not aftermarket tinted upon receipt, I'd like to look into that too.

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 am

Joeljoel1947 wrote:d4m0 WOW!!! JUST WOW!! That Blue is simply stunning! She looks amazing mate! 8) :shock: :shock:

Thanks Joel! It does look pretty special, no doubt. The gloss is pretty in-your-face.

Joeljoel1947 wrote:Can you tell me a little more about the tint and coating you had put on? Is there a local chapter of that same company for me in Melbourne or Sydney that can do something similar? I'd really like to protect the paint and if the windows are not aftermarket tinted upon receipt, I'd like to look into that too.

I'm not convinced one tint is any better than the next one, but I talked to the guys at Solarstyle who suggested the Rayno stuff was really very good and they were happy with how it was performing etc - I don't know. Given the windows are so small on the MX-5, it's fairly cheap anyhow. The "paint protection" is "Opti-Coat PRO+", which I had on my last car. Water was still beading on the paint-work 2 years after the application, and it makes washing an absolute breeze. If you're fairly anal about your paint-work (and wash it every 2 weeks or so depending on activity), I can't recommend it enough. I had some fairly aggressive dealer-sales job on their paint-protection package, which was 3x the price of what Solar Style did it for. Again, I don't know if one is better than the other, but I've had Opt-Coat before and loved it. Solar Style do work for dealers too, although I suspect they get screwed down on price (to the dealer), and the dealer charges a hefty premium. You have the convenience of picking it up all done and ready to go of course, but it wasn't worth it to me for that. I like the guys at Solar Style too, which always helps.

Anyway, some links - testing results from the CSIRO - https://opticoat.com.au/opti-coat-pro
"New carbon technology" in the Rayno Phantom films https://www.raynofilm.com/automotive/na ... technology

I went with "Rayno Phantom S5" - Innovative Technology, incredible performance. Rayno’s Phantom series is the world’s first carbon ceramic film developed with a patented formula that exceeds competitor standards for optimal film performance.
Nano-scaled carbon particles provide top notch colour stability without sacrificing clarity, while nano-encapsulated ceramic particles give lasting durability and outstanding heat rejection.
TSER 51%
IR Rejection 53%

3M Scotchtint Black
3M™ Colour Stable's appearance rivals tinted factory glass, never turns purple, and provides high heat rejection with no signal interference! 3M's revolutionary nano-carbon polyester provides an incredible look, amazing colour stability, and is non-metallised to ensure no signal interference.
TSER 40%
IR Rejection – not specified

Your mileage may vary :wink:

If you do decide to get some paint protection, be good to hear what you decided to do and get some photos too - I can't get enough of looking at photos of these things!

Joeljoel1947
Learner Driver

Postby Joeljoel1947 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks Joel! It does look pretty special, no doubt. The gloss is pretty in-your-face.

Thanks for all the details, I'll need to see if someone in Canberra does that sort of stuff, I looked and there is nothing in Wagga. That said, how are you getting along with it after a few weeks? 8)

Joeljoel1947
Learner Driver

Postby Joeljoel1947 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Actually, I "sort of" just found an Opti-coat dealer, but I'm betting it will be a dealership here, they had me fill out a form online and said one was in Wagga and they would contact me. We'll see!

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Ah, that’s odd. It doesn’t engender confidence if you’re filling out some random form, does it? Is it the place in Mitchel? Let me know how it turns out.

Yes, I love this car more than I thought I would - driving it is just great. I’m looking forward to having it run in a bit more, and then giving it a bit more. There’s no way you’ll regret this one - I can’t speak highly enough of it.

Having said that, there are a couple of irritants, like the positioning of the ac vents (unable to direct it sufficiently away from hands on steering wheel at 9 and 3), and the plastichrome around the gear stick (sun dazzle opp) and the plastichrome logo on the steering wheel (dazzle times 10). Otherwise, just loving it.

Joeljoel1947
Learner Driver

Postby Joeljoel1947 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 pm

d4m0 wrote:Ah, that’s odd. It doesn’t engender confidence if you’re filling out some random form, does it? Is it the place in Mitchel? Let me know how it turns out.

Yes, I love this car more than I thought I would - driving it is just great. I’m looking forward to having it run in a bit more, and then giving it a bit more. There’s no way you’ll regret this one - I can’t speak highly enough of it.

Having said that, there are a couple of irritants, like the positioning of the ac vents (unable to direct it sufficiently away from hands on steering wheel at 9 and 3), and the plastichrome around the gear stick (sun dazzle opp) and the plastichrome logo on the steering wheel (dazzle times 10). Otherwise, just loving it.

Well, I found a really good opticoat dealer here luckily with rave reviews, so I am going with the opticoat pro+. Does $990 seem about right for that? I'm also having the interior done with an opticoat as well for $300.

Picking up my MX-5 on Sunday! Getting SUPER excited especially after reading all the rave reviews of it and youtube video reviews on it the past few weeks! So yea, pick it up Sunday from the dealer and have booked in for the opticoat "works" next Tuesday. Thanks for the info and help!

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 am

Joeljoel1947 wrote:Well, I found a really good opticoat dealer here luckily with rave reviews, so I am going with the opticoat pro+. Does $990 seem about right for that? I'm also having the interior done with an opticoat as well for $300.

Yep, that’s exactly what I paid.

Joeljoel1947 wrote:Picking up my MX-5 on Sunday! Getting SUPER excited especially after reading all the rave reviews of it and youtube video reviews on it the past few weeks! So yea, pick it up Sunday from the dealer and have booked in for the opticoat "works" next Tuesday. Thanks for the info and help!

That’s brilliant - congrats. It’s a great car and I’m sure you’ll love it!

Joeljoel1947
Learner Driver

Postby Joeljoel1947 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 pm

The new baby has arrived, the soul red GLOWS!! Just Opti-Coated today! Beautiful trip to the Blue Mountains to get her from Blue Mountain Mazda! Thanks to Cameron and Andrew for making it happen! :D 8)
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg
IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Joeljoel1947 wrote:The new baby has arrived, the soul red GLOWS!! Just Opti-Coated today! Beautiful trip to the Blue Mountains to get her from Blue Mountain Mazda! Thanks to Cameron and Andrew for making it happen! :D 8)

Ooooh, that is beautiful! Congrats!

Joeljoel1947
Learner Driver

Postby Joeljoel1947 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks mate! Just followed your excellent advice! Thanks again for posting here! It's such a great car. I'm babying her in, but the wife wants to go all Al Unser Jr. (fast and crazy) with it. I think it's a good problem to have!

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Joeljoel1947 wrote:Thanks mate! Just followed your excellent advice! Thanks again for posting here! It's such a great car. I'm babying her in, but the wife wants to go all Al Unser Jr. (fast and crazy) with it. I think it's a good problem to have!

Absolutely a good problem to have!

I got my first stone chip on a drive on Sunday through the mountains with some loose gravel. :( it’s on the far left at the front and it makes me sad. Still, it was a great drive and that’s what I’m hanging on to!

Return to “MX5 General Chat”