Any legally registered MX5 LS V8s in Australia?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Any legally registered MX5 LS V8s in Australia?

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Apart from the blue NB V8 registered as an ICV (I hate the body styling), are there any other LS engined MX5s legally registered in Australia? NA, NB or NCs...
I know is the US they are common and there might be a few Aussie track cars.
I already know the ins and outs so let's not discuss that.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Any legally registered MX5 LS V8s in Australia?

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:03 pm

I only know of two road-legal V8 MX5s in Aust.

One being the blue one you've mentioned with the Monaro guts under it, and the other being a red NA with a Toyota V8 (I believe owned by someone on the forum now?)

Both were built by the same guy from memory (John Pitts?) who last I heard was in the process of arguing with Vicroads about his current project.... a BMW V10 in an S2000.

I think cost is the big killer here. (other than legality, which, yeah has been covered 1000x)
In the US the conversion kits and subframes are a lot cheaper, since obviously they dont have to post them internationally.
and my understanding is that LS engines in the US tend to just be a lot cheaper than Aust.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:15 pm

The legendary BMW V10 engine in an S2000! That guy is cool (except I bet he will beat it with the ugly stick before he is finished).
Second hand cars and engines are cheap in the US (due to the sheer number of them).
I want someone to Engineer a full-fat NC with a US sourced 5.3 litre LS (I think that will squeeze in under the capacity rule). They can spend the big bucks and sell it to me down the track (for a fraction of the cost!).

Wombit
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Wombit » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:21 pm

It's perfectly legal to run an LS motor in an MX-5 if you get it engineered properly.

There's a black NC running around with an LS motor in it. I believe it's the 6.2L LS3 from memory, but could be a 5.7L LS1.

Fully engineered and used as a daily driver by its owner.

nc1.jpg

nc3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm

bruce wrote: (except I bet he will beat it with the ugly stick before he is finished).

Yeah, while I agree that the NB he put together was pretty awful looking, my understanding is that most of that was a necessity for it being registered.

In that he needed to use the Monaro/Camaro suspension etc in order to get is approved, and that since they've a much wider car that meant the strange body mods needed to cover the wheels.

Also, I just remembered another legal V8 "mx5"
There were also the Bullet cars from QLD, which once again had the Toyota V8

Although there were always registered as "Bullet roadsters" rather than Mazda MX5s, and were pretty much custom made underneath.

I always kind of liked them, I just wish they'd have not used the ugly headlight and taillight covers, or the weird front lip they grafted onto them all.
Although, it was the early 2000s, so that kind of tacky stuff was all the rage then.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for the pics of the NC! Love it.
The main problem with that car is that it is Queensland registered - my understanding is you can Mod Plate anything (I can spy the blue plate). If it was that easy in other States they would be common. You won't get registration in any other State (eg. to register it in Vic it will need full Vic Engineering, which it will fail due to capacity). If someone can prove me wrong, put me in touch with the NC owner!

I'm not a fan of Bullets due to their current prices and the now dated Lexus V8s (even with a supercharger the power level is 'dated').

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:16 pm

I've saved those NC pics as I like it. It's got the retractable hard top, subtle flares and bonnet pins.
I wonder if you could argue a car is registered in one State it is entitled to registration in another? Highly unlikely as each State holds tightly onto it's licencing and rego powers and ability to apply Stamp Duty.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:42 pm

bruce wrote:I've saved those NC pics as I like it. It's got the retractable hard top, subtle flares and bonnet pins.
I wonder if you could argue a car is registered in one State it is entitled to registration in another? Highly unlikely as each State holds tightly onto it's licencing and rego powers and ability to apply Stamp Duty.

I believe no, you cannot.

A member that used to be on here did exactly that, had a QLD registered turbo NA that be moved down to Vic, and registered here under the assumption it was legal (as Vicroads had told him it would be)

Only to shortly after receive a defect and have the rego cancelled or something.

In saying that, it was quite a few years ago, and the NCOP rules were not in force.
Not sure if they have helped or hindered in the whole "Vic engineering" route....

My understanding though, is that in Vic it's actually easier to have an engine swap engineered than it is to have a modified standard engine done.

Since an un-modified engine that meets emissions requirements in it's original chassis can be signed off as still meeting them (so long as you've kept ALL the emissions gear from the original car)
As opposed to a modified engine needing to have a sniffer test etc to prove it meets emissions regs.

Obviously though, the easiest option is to contact a VASS engineer and chat with them about your plans, and what's feasible within the rules.

I'd strongly suggest talking to one before you so much as undo a bolt on the car to start the swap.
Saves you having the thing fully running only for them to say "yeah mate, gonna need you to yank out the engine again so I can check those subframe welds are all good, also chuck a few gussets in there"

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm

NCOP outlines the engine swap multiplers. It's based off weight and an NA and NB can't get an LS unfortunately.
There was a guy of the forum a while ago that had an LS swapped NB I think in WA. At the time I think that was the only place you could legally get it done without going down the icv path.

IIRC, the NB can get the 1uz engineered based off the weight multiplers, an obviously the NC cause its even heavier.

Might be able to legally put one of these in an NA
http://www.synergypower.co.nz
Cheers,
plohl

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 pm

I know all these things.....
You do know that I've got an engineered Nissan SR20DET in my NA in Vic.
Heard all these discussions before, I'd just like to see the results.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:04 pm

bruce wrote:You do know that I've got an engineered Nissan SR20DET in my NA in Vic..

Wait a minute.

Did you do the work yourself? or buy it already done (or at least started)

The QLD/Vic guy I was tlaking about, who got the defect, from memory was doing the same swap, in order to get it legal in Vic.
Curious if it's the same car? (or if you're the guy I was thinking of?)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:22 pm

You're thinking of blue93t aka Jake - bruce's NA is a different car. Know someone on here that did the interstate thing about 12 months ago with no problem. I'll find the post later & link to it - also PMed him to get check as at first it seemed like a bit of a throw away line.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:26 pm

That was Blue94t. He got defected, took it off the road. Swore he'd finish the sr20 swap and never did. Sold it to another guy who gave it to a workshop to finish, asked me about mine and then disappeared.
I purchased mine done but not engineered (which I did). Thus I know all about engineering.

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:20 am

From what I have found the NC PRHT comes in at ~1207kg so under NCOP can have a LS1 or 'small' LS3 up to ~6.0L capacity naturally aspirated.

Has anyone got an accurate figure for the RF ND?
The best I can find is 1104kg so just into level 3 or up to ~5.5L capacity NA, still not quite enough for a 5.7L LS1...... :|
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Regie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC - V8

Postby Regie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:56 am

Nevyn72 wrote:From what I have found the NC PRHT comes in at ~1207kg so under NCOP can have a LS1 or 'small' LS3 up to ~6.0L capacity naturally aspirated.

Has anyone got an accurate figure for the RF ND?
The best I can find is 1104kg so just into level 3 or up to ~5.5L capacity NA, still not quite enough for a 5.7L LS1...... :|

1110kg for soft top
1153kg for prht
MY07 NC, Mazdaspeed Body, Ohlins, Full GWR Exhaust, 17x9 RPF1's, 4.1FGR and lots lots more

Return to “MX5 General Chat”