Paint Protection

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

rpost77
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Paint Protection

Postby rpost77 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Just a random thought.

One assumes manufacturers of Super (expensive) Cars (Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin etc.) - where there are no limits to expense and what people will pay for a car - surely they don't apply the same paint processes as your Mazda, Toyota etc.

If I was buying a Ferrari, I wouldn't be expecting to (as the 1st thing) to be running to my local "opticoat" or "paint protection" place and paying yet more to get that done. I would expect that Ferrari's etc. would already have some (no expense spared) "paint protection" installed?

Has anyone researched what these manufacturers do? If they do in fact use something - then that is your answer.

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:53 am

rpost77 wrote:Just a random thought.

One assumes manufacturers of Super (expensive) Cars (Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin etc.) - where there are no limits to expense and what people will pay for a car - surely they don't apply the same paint processes as your Mazda, Toyota etc.

They do use the same, there's really only a few big suppliers. In the case of Ferrari I believe they use PPG. Of course coatings manufacturers have different product lines, especially in clear coats so it likely isn't the same paint on a Suzuki than on a Bentley even if they are the same brand.

What I can't tell you is how it's applied, by hand or robot. The common manufacturers all use automated paint lines by now I believe, smaller volume ones may still apply using people. This will create a difference in thickness, robots are programmed to be economical in their movements and ensure the greatest coverage with the least volume of product. People on the other hand go by experience and eye and tend to "double up" either intentionally or otherwise.

Same goes for repairs, makes them easy to spot with even a cheap thickness tester. Modern factory paint is going to be thin, under 150 micron for sure, under 100 is likely. By contrast a repair could be over 200 or 300
'97 Neo Green limited edition

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 pm

Comparing a Ferrari and Toyota and you are likely to see the latter maker with a far more integrated and developed product. The Ferrari is bespoke but don't necessarily expect that all of it is really up to the same standard of consistency or quality as many other high volume vehicles . People pay for exclusivity and low volume cars cost a bomb because essentially the cost of producing it is amortised over low volumes. Painting by hand is not a reliable process and essentially this is no longer used by serious car makers.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”