Tailored Car Mats.

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Tailored Car Mats.

Postby taminga16 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:54 am

Melbourne based. Fitmycar.com
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: Tailored Car Mats.

Postby Rocky » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Looked up NB Mats. It shows a picture of a VW interior. The mats don't look like they suit an MX5.
I was shaking out my genuine Mazda (monogram) mats the other day and noticed that the foam rubber backing is degenerating and leaving a slightly sticky fallout on the standard carpets. Looks like I will need to replace the Mazda mats in the near future - which is a shame as the carpet itself is like new.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I have mats from FitMyCar in my Ranger and the MX-5, quality is very good IMO.

Pic is probably just a stock pic for the NB, I'm certain they would fit correctly.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Rocky wrote:noticed that the foam rubber backing is degenerating and leaving a slightly sticky fallout on the standard carpets.

Unfortunately not uncommon for some foam to do that - perhaps you can just strip away the foam & continue to use.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Yep, I will eventually have to see if I can remove the foam rubber as the mats are otherwise good quality and show no signs of wear.
The rubber is just in that in-between stage where it is not yet a big problem but is just starting to leave a slightly sticky fall-out on the fitted carpet.
As long as I can vacuum off the 'fall-out' it will be OK - just a nuisance.
Same problem I have with a lot of things - because it is so well looked after it lasts much longer than the makers intended.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm

I didnt realise the NB8B mats had a foam backing.

Is it original? or has the rubber back come free in the past and been discarded?

All the MX5 mats I've had over the years have just had a rubber back with the little nubs to hold it from slipping (as well as the hole for the floor anchor)

Factory Aussie NB8A ones with the "MX5" embroidery
Japanese chequered NA ones
Blue checker textured NB8A 10th Anniversary ones.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Good questions Kansei. On reflection, I think the mats were purchased from MX5 Mania not the Mazda Dealer.
Prompted by your question, I took them outside and gave the back a good scrub with a stiff scrubbing brush. Quite a lot of loose brown foam rubber came off, leaving the back a lot cleaner and 'dust' free. The remaining backing is still some sort of rubberised material and I'm guessing would be hard/impossible to remove. I can scratch it off with a fingernail but I'm not sure I want to get involved in that. I will put them back in and check again in the future.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Here is a close-up of where I have scratched the mat with a fingernail.

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm familiar with that foam and it's failure. I've never tried it but a spray application of a rubber style coating (Plasti dip and similar coatings sold as a spray on alternative to vinyl wrap) may work to act a a sealant and prevent or at least minimise further shedding.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

charcoal
Racing Driver

Postby charcoal » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Our NB8B was sold new with genuine mats which are identical to Rocky's.
I removed them several years ago and they have been stored in the garage.
Just inspected them and they are suffering the same fate as Rocky's :(

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Interesting.
Apsilon's suggestion is a good one. I'm sure there are things I could paint or spray on the newly brushed surface to prevent further deterioration of the remaining rubber finish. I will have a look around at Bunnings.
Charcoal - give the mats a hard scrub with a stiff brush. It will at least take the powdered material off which is an improvement.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:50 pm

the foam is deteriorating because its getting toward its service life - you will not reverse the process- it will just breakdown and crumble. Al lot of this product was used in cars such as in door and car trims and not subject to UV it will last a long time. Car mats were often used as a backing because it was cheap and it provided some friction between surfaces. You could probably just buy some more in sheet form and cut it out and re glue but is it worth the effort- cost versus time and messing about. Bear in mind car mats are essentially manufactured as a sacrificial product so mats should be affordable.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:56 pm

How about a good undercoat paint on the back of the mat after gently wire brushing off the foam stuff? I have the NB mats too and they are doing the same thing. Let us know how you go!

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:10 pm

These weren't cheap MM and the 'business side' is perfect as nobody sits in the passenger side and driver's side gets minimal use.
I will have a look around at Bunnings and see what sort of products are available.
I reckon there would be some sort of "non-slip" product for mats that could be painted on.
After removing the deteriorated brown foam layer, I think the remaining light grey base could be sealed to prevent it turning to powder and depositing itself all over the fitted carpets. Maybe...

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Alternative could be a thin layer of some sort of sound insulation rubber or foam adhesive'd on? Though my old Tarago mats @17 years old became the same and I just rubbed off all the backing and continued to use them just like that. Still looked great on top, just felt thinner when I removed them to clean each time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Return to “MX5 General Chat”