How do you guys store your wheels/tyres?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

keito
Driver
Vehicle: NC

How do you guys store your wheels/tyres?

Postby keito » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Simple question - How does everyone store your wheels/tyres? Mine are stacked on each other and pushed into a corner of the garage, but I'm sure there is a better way of doing it. In america there seems to be a lot of wall mounted tyre racks, but nothing similar here.

Willo
Learner Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Re: How do you guys store your wheels/tyres?

Postby Willo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:25 am

Nothing similar here because we don't use winter tyres. In northernmost countries they are often mandatory. I worked in a workshop in Scandinavia where we stored over 300 sets of wheels & tyres for customers so they didn't have to have them at home!

I've considered just using the bottom level of one of those Bunnings shelves without the base in it and standing them up side by side, keep them inflated at storage pressure (40+psi) to avoid flat spotting.

If you're not using the tyres much, cover them to protect from UV. We found that really important when racing karts, as the tyres would turn blue and go rock hard. We use to wrap the tyres in a black pallet wrap, straight after use while still hot at the end of every day. Cheap tyre covers would do nicely.

Cheers

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:28 am

I just store my track tyres between meetings on a shelf in the shed (on their side so tread doesnt get indented/flat spot) and cover them with blankets to keep the light off them. Shed has no windows so no direct sun in there..
Cool and dark is the way to store them..

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:55 am

My spares are just in a pile behind the house, next to the central heating unit.

A few others are in a garden bed.

In saying that, most of them are pretty much bald, or already have gone hard as rock.
That and they're attached to wheels I need to get around to selling, and cant be bothered removing the tyres from them.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 am

I only have 2 sets, road tyres and track tyres. When I'm going to the track and confirmed dry conditions I take the road tyres off and stick the semis on. They are stored in a dark garage which is fairly cool. I never leave the car on the semis for any more than a couple of days.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:40 pm

I have a spare for the Mazda 6 which is in a plastic bag in a dark shed. I check it now and then and inflate when necessary.
The 4 OE tyres/wheels for the MX5 are covered and stored in a corner of the garage. The tyres are now about 20 years old (but seem in good condition - not hard and no hairline cracks) and I keep them correctly inflated. I always intended that they would be "track" wheels but we don't have a track up here in the sticks!
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

taminga16
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby taminga16 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Rocky, some plastics can impact upon rubber.
Greg.
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I wouldn't worry about plastics - his local humidity and heat are the killers.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Rocky » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks Guys, I will be dead long before the OE tyres/wheels ever get chance to hit a track.
The OE wheel for the Mazda 6 will probably never be used as I found out after I bought it that the Mazda 6 came with a full-size spare.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”