Vipac closes emissions testing facility (Port Melb)

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Vipac closes emissions testing facility (Port Melb)

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:34 pm

For info, received following today in a non-MX5 club email:
Vipac <http://www.vipac.com.au/home/automotive/> has closed their emissions testing facility, meaning there is no place to complete the mandatory IM240 test in Victoria. This move has caught many people including Vicroads by surprise. Vicroads has asked the SVA/VACC for a proposal to fix this issue. SVA/VACC have drafted a proposal that will be submitted shortly. As part of SVA/VACC discussions with Vicroads, they would like to understand how many cars are currently being built that have the intention of driving on the road. They would like to understand how many people have been affected by Vipac's decision.
Vipac were very helpful & the test was $650 plus GST, which was payable each time tested, so no free second go if you failed the first time.

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Vipac closes emissions testing facility (Port Melb)

Postby StuwieP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:50 pm

:frown:

I'm probably 2 months short of this step...
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:59 pm

That's inconvenient. There would be so many people affected.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 pm

IM240 test is free in NSW (Botany & Penrith) - will post update if anything heard.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:23 pm

That's an awful long way to go for a test. Plus I don't know if a local Vic Engineer would accept an interstate test.

Plus, when I was there talking to the Engineer he said most of his work involved Truck/Commercial testing. Plus, what happens when you get a Defect notice for Emissions - where do you go then?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:06 pm

Agree not a long term solution, but might be a possible short term option - at least in NSW it's Government run <https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/make-change-or-cancel-emissions-testing-booking> as opposed to SA where it's a case of a couple of recognised workshops, ie if interstate it was an issue, former might carry more weight than latter with a Vic engineer. Re Vic defect notices involving emissions until a replacement for Vipac is decided, perhaps challenge it in court if keen enough.

legume
Driver

Postby legume » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Although I understand it happens, but I dont understand why emmision tests from interstate can be knock back. After all the follow the same testing criteria through out Aust. All I could think of would be the paperwork side. After the engineer has to sign off on it and needs to cover thier butt.

http://www.abmarc.com.au/5_vehicle_&_fl ... vices.html
About half way down Ambarc state they will be doing IM240 tests soon. This has been up for about 6 months now.

As far as I thought, most emmisions defects were visually blowing smoke, and then only had a visual inspection to clarify that it wasnt blowing smoke anymore. ????

Do you need one on straight E85?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:31 am

legume wrote:Abmarc state they will be doing IM240 tests soon.

My understanding is other places in Vic that can do IM240 test aren't currently accredited, & I understand accreditation is very costly. Which was one of the reasons Vipac ceased offering the IM240 test. Apparently they had an issue with the test equipment & it was going to cost too much to fix & continue with accreditation. The draft SVA/VACC proposal is currently looking at how other states & territories approach emissions testing in order to present Vicroads with options.
legume wrote:Do you need one on straight E85?

Believe it's part of the engineering process regardless, but check with your engineer as they can vary in their interpretation of things.

legume
Driver

Postby legume » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:45 pm

93_Clubman wrote:My understanding is other places in Vic that can do IM240 test aren't currently accredited, & I understand accreditation is very costly. Which was one of the reasons Vipac ceased offering the IM240 test. Apparently they had an issue with the test equipment & it was going to cost too much to fix & continue with accreditation. The draft SVA/VACC proposal is currently looking at how other states & territories approach emissions testing in order to present Vicroads with options.

Makes sense. Kind of odd however. In theory, close enough should be good enough. I say this becuase ICV and 'engineered' modified represent a fraction of cars on the road. Far less than shitty diesels that are blowing smoke already and are between 5-10 years old (saw a Prado pissing out smoke and it was a recent model). If you own a Honda and follow the suggested 15k service intervals then maybe sooner. As you say, its not the testing, its the certifying. Now if we were serious about emmisions we would have regular testing on registered cars. And the test would be more thorough throughout the rev range and not at set rpms/stepping. I suspect this is where the difficult arises as they need to have a dyno they can control and have this calibrated (as well as the testing equipment)
ICVs are not crash tested and interiors woudnt comply if they did (only beam/torsional/occupant weight, lange change, brake and stablity, emmisions and noise). They dont really care if you kill yourself, just along as your car can handle well enough that you dont loose control in normal traffic conditions and take some other poor bastard with you.

Hoolio
Fast Driver

Postby Hoolio » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:57 pm

93_Clubman wrote:The draft SVA/VACC proposal is currently looking at how other states & territories approach emissions testing in order to present Vicroads with options.

Currently no IM240 test requirement in Qld due to no test facility:

“Under the LA section of the NCOP, a large number of engine modifications require that the vehicle undergoes an IM240 Gaseous emission test, in accordance with the LT3 section. Given that there are currently no facilities in Queensland approved to perform this testing, any requirement under the NCOP for an IM240 test will be waived.” [Vehicle Standards Instruction (Light Vehicle 20.3)].

This has been the case ever since Qld begrudgingly started to use the NCOP in 2013.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 am

Like I've said, u could almost register anything in Qld.
I hope it gets waived in Vic. If it does I'm gonna stick a motorcycle engine into a 5.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 am

bruce wrote:If it does I'm gonna stick a motorcycle engine into a 5.

Save money & time - consider this: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... 4892/?Cr=3
Busa motor, 520kg, 0-100 in 2.8, & $39.5k neg

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Wouldn't expect Vic to waive anything... :cry:

I've already reached out to Dann to see what his thoughts are on arranging testing in NSW as he would for his NSW engineered cars
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Just ring a local Melbourne Engineer and ask what are they are now doing (that is what Dann would be doing, calling locally).
I reckon it is an opportune time to get things Engineered (maybe) without an Emissions test.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Oooooh, I have always wanted a Clubman and always wanted something with a bike engine!
The only downside of a Clubman is that they are smaller and lower than a 5. We complain no one sees a 5, that would make the clubbie invisible.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”