ND buying advice

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

alexbwang
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

ND buying advice

Postby alexbwang » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi gang

It’s been a couple of years since I sold my NB SE and now looking to get back into an MX5. Vehicle will be used as a daily with some weekend warrior duties. 2.0L engine

With the 2019 ND2 coming out, I’m keen to hear your thoughts about what the best way to get those motoring thrills without breaking the bank.

Do I get a used ND1 with plans to mod (priority: bracing, tune, suspension, seats, wheels) or perhaps get an ND2 if that’s a better overall package.

Is the ND1 audio system upgradeable to support Apple CarPlay / Android Audio - what options are available?

Are the changes to the ND2 engine substantial enough? What tuning strategy is recommended for the ND1 engine?

Proven approach to increasing power output on the 2.0L engine? Would be happy with around 200 WHP.

Those are the questions I can think of atm.

Look forward to hearing from you, cheers!

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: ND buying advice

Postby Luke » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:08 pm

I have dríven both ND1 and ND2 on tracks in Tasmania as well as the roads of Tasmania.
It was a bit unfair as my ND1 had Hankook RS4's, G-Loc pads and a much better alignment vs the out of the dealership ND2. Everything else on my ND1 is untouched.
The big difference you notice is the ND2 has heaps more grunt while taking it to red line. Up to 6000RPM there is little difference. Above that the ND1 peters off and the ND2 just keeps going strong to about 7300. The extra 800 revs is awesome, 6700 vs 7500 cut. Depending on the straight we were talking up to 8km/h difference, and that was with slower corner exits in the ND2. I am confident it would be quicker than my lightly modified SE at Wakefield Park on the straight.
To put it in perspective, Symmons plains in TAS has long straights and bugger all corners. I was 0.6s quicker in the ND2 then my ND1. I would take a guess another 0.5s quicker again if it had my tyres and pads. At Baskerville which has heaps of corners I was 1s slower in the ND2, and that is simply the tyres and alignment causing that. It would be quicker than my ND1 otherwise.
The other big thing was how much easier it is to drive. The rear end is so much more planted. I find with ND1's when you fully load the car up it has an odd oversteer sensation. It feels like the rear wheels are steering. I believe the suspension geometry is what causes this. This does not exist in the ND2. BTW they are up to revision D of rear subframe for the ND2.

On the road the cars are much the same. The main difference seemed to be damping related. In the ND1 your inside organs feel like they jiggle around a bit. Did not notice this in the ND2. Unless you are revving the thing to redline you will notice no power difference on the road.

One thing that has always shitted me in all MX-5's is the lack of steering wheel reach adjustment. ND2 has this and I can just sit in a much more comfortable position.

The biggest problem I see for the ND2 2.0L is price. You are stuck with getting a GT in the soft top. RF's I could not care less for.
Most people that wanted a ND already have one. They are not going to want to spend 15K to upgrade, I know some will.
The same problem exists for someone wanting to buy a ND2 that does not have a ND1. It will cost you at least 15K more. You will get a good low K 15/16 ND1 GT for 28 to 30K. You can even get regular 2.0L models with a few more K's for as low as 24K.
Good luck getting a good deal from a dealer on ND2's. It will be full price. They still have ND1's to clear especially the overpriced LE's lying around.

To sell more ND2's but they should axe the 1.5L in the base model make it a 2.0L charge an extra $1000 for it and be done with it. Its crap that you have to buy a GT to get the 2.0L now. If they want a price leader 1.5L they should put it in a stripper model for $29990 with no LSD, GPS, MZD, screen etc etc.

A quick summary would be that ND2's are basically a ND1 with more power up high in the rev range and more safety gimmicks. It really comes down to how much you are will to pay for the engine and safety gimmicks. Not worth it if it a road car only. Only worth it in a track car if you are chasing the ultimate times and don't want to open the engine.

Yes, all ND1's except the povo pack 1.5 can have the factory Audio system upgraded to Android Auto/Apple Car Play.
I am talking a upgrade direct from Mazda here. You aren't after aftermarket stuff are you???
Be careful ND2's did not have this feature either. But you can upgrade to it. Not sure if the ND2's coming out of the factory have it now.

Now regarding ND's and mods.
I like running in stardard class, but I can see there is a lot of potential in a ND.
The ND1 engine is no match for the ND2. It would cost a lot to achieve the same internal mechanical upgrades.
ND2's will be able to have all the same/similar bolt on mods as a ND1.
You will get those that will say just give the ND1 a tune end exhaust and you will have ND2 performance. Guess what the ND2 will eventually have Tunes available as well.
Don't waste your money on bracing. The body is stiff.
Suspension would be the number 1 priority for most. It is very softly sprung.

If you want a ND1 with 200WHP, no chance with just bolt ons and tuning. Even CAMS won't get you there. The engine would need internal work or you would need go down the forced induction route. I would not recommend forced induction on a ND as the gearbox, diff, driveshafts etc are all small, flimsy and weak. The driveline cannot take much torque. That's how they made the car light!

Power parts wise you will be looking at stuff from Racingbeat, Goodwin Racing, Flyin Miata, BBR Turbo etc. Suspension wise there is a huge range. To begin with you would need to make the decision of wether you go down the coilover route or just lowering with better shocks and springs. Plenty of brands to choose from. Best of asking what people think in the suspension section of the forum. There are plenty of forum and MX-5 club sponsors that provide these parts.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 pm

So it's a bit like history has repeated itself. Choose an NA8 over an NA6 :P

MikeVictor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby MikeVictor » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:09 pm

alexbwang wrote:Hi gang

It’s been a couple of years since I sold my NB SE and now looking to get back into an MX5. Vehicle will be used as a daily with some weekend warrior duties. 2.0L engine

With the 2019 ND2 coming out, I’m keen to hear your thoughts about what the best way to get those motoring thrills without breaking the bank.

Do I get a used ND1 with plans to mod (priority: bracing, tune, suspension, seats, wheels) or perhaps get an ND2 if that’s a better overall package.

Is the ND1 audio system upgradeable to support Apple CarPlay / Android Audio - what options are available?

Are the changes to the ND2 engine substantial enough? What tuning strategy is recommended for the ND1 engine?

Proven approach to increasing power output on the 2.0L engine? Would be happy with around 200 WHP.

Those are the questions I can think of atm.

Look forward to hearing from you, cheers!

ND2 is a better package from the get go, 100%, for all the reasons said above.

However would I change my ND1 for it? No chance. I've got the wheels I like, got the suspension sorted, a nice exhaust system and tune and for a few hundred can upgrade the infotainment to include AA/CP if I want to at the next service. A simple OBD2 flash tune like OFT will give you the increased redline of the ND2 and a power bump (but not as much as ND2 I acknowledge). You could get a second hand ND1, mod it out like I have, and have an easy 10k spare compared to a new ND2 and only miss some top-end power.

So like many things in life, depends on how you want to spend your cash! You've got a good problem to have though, I've loved every minute driving my ND over the past 2 1/2 years now, I hope you get to enjoy the same.
ND GT with a loose nut behind wheel

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Don't buy one as the steering wheel badge is blinding.

d4m0
Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby d4m0 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 pm

bruce wrote:Don't buy one as the steering wheel badge is blinding.

I can vouch for that. The silver bit under the gear stick boot is similar. Shocking.

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm

d4m0 wrote:
bruce wrote:Don't buy one as the steering wheel badge is blinding.

I can vouch for that. The silver bit under the gear stick boot is similar. Shocking.

LOL.
Good thing they changed the centre screen surround from Silver to Black in the ND2.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

alexbwang
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby alexbwang » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks all, esp Luke, for the replies. It’s given me more to ponder about. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “MX5 General Chat”