30th Anniv. Edition

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

d4m0
Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

30th Anniv. Edition

Postby d4m0 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 am

Some really nice touches on the 30th anniv edition - some pics at https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a26236956/2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-30th-anniversary-reveal-specs-photos-price/

I must say I do like the Orange.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: 30th Anniv. Edition

Postby hks_kansei » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 am

Curious what the weird shark fin is on the boot lid?

I know the Mazda 3/6 have them for the antenna, but the ND already has a whip antenna on the guard?
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Curious what the weird shark fin is on the boot lid?

I know the Mazda 3/6 have them for the antenna, but the ND already has a whip antenna on the guard?

My understanding is that the sharkfin is just for satellite radio, that we don't really have down here... most car makers put the whip-equiv (for am/fm/dvb) in the rear window, and the sharkfin holds the satellite stuff - gps & sat. radio.

I'm really not a fan of the whip (hence the stubby I carry), nor the sharkfin - they both strike me as real after-thoughts.

RBH58
Fast Driver

Postby RBH58 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm

If the price of the last Limited Edition is anything to go by, this will be close to $60k on the road. Nice, but that's getting up there. Especially when you consider the Abarth 124 comes with the 30th Anniversary's "extra stuff"...standard Brembos and Bilsteins and optional Recaros...for well under $50k on the road. Bit of a gouge really.
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Lots of great new cars in the $60K range. Too many to choose from.

aka_juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby aka_juffa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm loving the paint. Wonder if it is reference to the one and only pre-production NA in a similar color?
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:36 pm

aka_juffa wrote:I'm loving the paint. Wonder if it is reference to the one and only pre-production NA in a similar color?

I think Emilio (949 Racing) has some thoughts on that subject. There might be a clue in the name ... :wink: :lol:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:01 pm

I like this, the colour and features are very nice for a change. Not sure we'll get any though, Mazda Aust announced their own 30th special some time ago, there's a thread about it here: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=77390
'97 Neo Green limited edition

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 pm

I think I read somewhere that Australia will get 30 of these - all soft top manuals. Fitting number I suppose. USA allocation apparently sold in 4 hrs but their's seems more price matched to similarly optioned models available there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:22 am

Colour in latest article pics above looks way better than in earlier article pics below: https://www.motoring.com.au/limited-edi ... 0WhOHgdwBo

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:31 am

KevGoat wrote:I think I read somewhere that Australia will get 30 of these - all soft top manuals. Fitting number I suppose. USA allocation apparently sold in 4 hrs but their's seems more price matched to similarly optioned models available there.

I went along to the MX-5 Qld Club Cocktail Party in celebration of the 30th Anniversary, and there was a fellow from Mazda Australia there giving us the run-down of the plan for this edition
[*] There will only be 30 for Australia, 29 of which will be sold (Mazda Australia are keeping one)
[*] No dealers are being allocated any, instead it will be offered via invitation only (initially?) to existing MX-5 owners
[*] No info on pricing or dates yet

I'm not sure how those invitations will go out - time will tell I guess. In any case, it's nice to know Mazda are still thinking about us down here.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 am

Are they serious to pick "racing marmalade" as the colour- suppose being seen is the intent. Everyone was raving at the ND when it came out with 1500cc and a low price not much more than $30K. Now the price has skyrocketed and still the vehicle does not match the clever folding top of the NC for proper open top touring. Finally the car got the more powerful engine that it should have had at release . One could be forgiven for thinking this car is now overpriced when you can get hot hatches at a much lower prices.

apsilon
Fast Driver

Postby apsilon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:58 am

d4m0 wrote:I'm not sure how those invitations will go out - time will tell I guess. In any case, it's nice to know Mazda are still thinking about us down here.

I, and I'm sure others, received an email a few days ago about it. I assume the invite will go out the same way. Didn't read it that closely as while I would like one of these, I really have nowhere to keep it already having 3 cars and my NA rarely gets dríven as it is.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:07 am

Mr Morlock wrote:Are they serious to pick "racing marmalade" as the colour- suppose being seen is the intent. Everyone was raving at the ND when it came out with 1500cc and a low price not much more than $30K. Now the price has skyrocketed and still the vehicle does not match the clever folding top of the NC for proper open top touring. Finally the car got the more powerful engine that it should have had at release . One could be forgiven for thinking this car is now overpriced when you can get hot hatches at a much lower prices.

it's certainly not uncommon for manufacturers to do this with "special edition" models.

I think the aim is to both cement the view of the car being "special" and worth the extra money, by virtue of using a unique colour not available on regular models.
And at the same time, choose a bright colour so that it stands out both on the road, and on the forecourt of the dealerships and draws attention to the model as a whole. (people drawn in by the fanfare over a special model may instead settle on a cheaper non-special one)

While I wouldnt own one in that colour, I dont mind it.
After all, the MX5 is marketed as a fun and frivolous sports car, and as being "exciting"
So it makes sense to offer an "exciting" colour, rather than the black, grey, greyish blue, blueish grey they mainly offer, with the occasional red one thrown in.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:Are they serious to pick "racing marmalade" as the colour

The colour is great & might have even been influenced by Agent Orange MX5 on here years ago: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44496

Return to “MX5 General Chat”