30th Anniv. Edition

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: 30th Anniv. Edition

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 pm

I really love that Mazda finally made the ND in a bright colour, can't' wait to see a 30th in the flesh. Hopefully they were pleasantly surprised at the reaction it's getting and will offer additional colours in the future.

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:130kg or whatever so what? The NC has a proper retractable roof and more usable space - not cut down everything- stowage is poverty level in ND. The more I see it the less I like it. The return to soft top was a bad move and the RS looks funny and is expensive. Weight always a joke- look at the car park. What does a Porsche weigh or a Mustang - the public just does not care about a car weight.

REALLY.
Soft top a bad move?
I am one of the customers that will not buy a convertible that has a heavy complicated retracting hardtop of any sort. 3 reasons. Weight, they eventually rattle as they age and they have a lot more to go wrong mechanically and electrically.
Yes I get some people use their convertible everyday so the hardtop is great for them, but like many, its just a 2nd or 3rd car for me tucked away so I have no need for it.
The NC only having a hardtop from NC2's early production onwards was a bad decision by Mazda Australia. Sure they were selling more hard tops than soft tops, but why not have the option there for people who only want the soft top?
They corrected that for the ND in the regular models.
But have stuffed up the LE by being hard top only and the 30AE by being soft top only. Should have had both options available.

People keep quoting 130kg weight difference NC to ND???
My ND was 1030KG and my NC was 1105. I count 75kg.
Are people biasing this with a ND soft top vs NC 2 hard top?
NC hardtops were about 45 to 50kg heavier than the soft tops from memory. Another 10kg for a NC 2. ND is the same deal. Compare apples with apples people.

Every manufacturer is constantly trying to cut weight out of their cars as they add more in other areas with safety equipment. More and more every day cars are getting Aluminium panels and components to reduce weight. So while the public may not care apparently, manufacturers ultimately do.

I find it strange that people still bag out the ND's storage.
I have had NB, NC and ND and have used all 3 on long trips with my Dad so can give my realistic review.
Total boot space is much the same between the 3. Just the shape changes so you have to play with your jigsaw puzzle to fit everything in.
Interior in another story.

NB
The NB actually had the best usable internal storage.
The centre console bin is very easily accessible by the driver and can hold a wallet, phone and some other stuff like keys, pens and post it notes at the same time with no issue.
The glove box is decent enough to store things like glasses, a small first aid kit, chargers etc.
Door pockets were somewhat useful as well as the passengers phone or wallet could fit in them.
Front centre console bin was small, but good for small items such as coins or cards.
Cup holders were annoying on longer trips as that is your arm rest space so does not work when using them for the intended purpose. They are good for storing and having quick access to keys and other bits and bobs for short trips.
Rear parcel shelf most useful by far if you need the extra space.
The biggest downside is the passenger had a shorter footwell. Bad luck for them.
Seating position was far to high. But the SE seats were actually very comfortable for long trips. Rubbish for performance driving.

NC
The NC's main advantage was the passenger room. More knee, head, hip, shoulder and leg room compared to NB and ND.
The glove box was useful like the NB's.
No door pockets on NC1. Only unless cup holder that can really only hold cans. NC 2 fixed this.
Centre console had no where to put your wallet. So it ends up in the rear centre bin. NC2 fixed this with door pockets.
Same goes for your phone. Mine sort of fitted into the centre cup holders, but then you can't use them for bottles. If you do use them for bottles you have the same problem as the NB, your armrest is now gone.
Little nook under key barrel was good for coins or cards.
NC1 seats are rubbish on long trips. I gather NC2s would not be much better. Only model we both would get a sore rear end in. And that's after 2 hours. I can still feel the pain.

ND
People keep bagging that the ND has no internal storage, but I found it brilliant for the driver at the cost of the passenger.
ND's GPS and Bluetooth works great so you don't need to carry a phone mount like you do in the NB or NC, so your phone gets tucked away. I could put my phone with a pen and keys under it in the ND centre console and close the lid. This is totally dependent on what phone you have of course.
In the ND my wallet sat nicely in the centre console front hole.
I know many hate the ND floppy cup holders, but they are completely out of the way and are completely removable and actually hold bottles really well. Rear centre bin access is limited depending on height of your bottle.
For storing additional crap in the car, the larger ND centre storage bin makes up for the lack of a glove box. Its just awkward to get into like the NC one.
The passenger suffers most as their phone and wallet is either in their pocket or in the centre bin as there is no door pockets. Or they over rule the driver and the drivers items end up in the centre bin. :x
Rear parcel shelf is the most useless of the 3 as it is the shortest and has the tightest gap to squeeze items in.

When it comes to driving, the ND is the best MX-5. No comparison. It is so responsive to steering, brake and throttle inputs. NB and NC had better steering feel(hydraulic vs electric) but just don't change direction like a ND. Sure my NB SE's drove well, but the chassis feels sloppy compared to the ND and NC and that is the best NB chassis. NC's feel big and cumbersome, but when the stop watch is used they are quick and they are the easiest to drive on the limit. The ND is quicker but harder to drive on the limit.

Now speaking of the 30th Anniversary.
Personally I would not buy the 30th Anniversary as I don't believe the differences account for the 7K price difference to the GT model. Really that is some very expensive wheels, shocks, front callipers, seats and trim bits which some others already pointed out.
You really are paying for exclusivity. as there are only 30 of them. I do like the colour though.
7K was the difference between the RF GT and the RF LE for the same bits(slight interior difference in regards to dash trim), plus it came with the body kit and strut bar as well. There was a forum argument over that being too much, where is Pete when you need him LOL. I see the same discussion in regards to the 30AE pricing, just to a lesser extent. At least the 30AE is a lot more rare and comes in a unique differentiating colour. Not like the RF LE where everyone knew a new updated model with more power was coming out a few months after it which made it a rather topical discussion. There are still some stuck at dealers brand new now, lol which won't happen with these 30AE's.

Noticed in all the Pics that they still don't paint the rear calliper mount frame on this 30AE? Just like in the NC(calliper was silver, but frame was raw metal) and ND LE's/Abarth 124's that have Red Brembo's up front and red rear callipers with raw metal frame. Only NB SE's were painted properly.
I even pointed that out to Japanese Mazda execs at one of the last Sydney Motorshows when they launched the NC3. They did not even know until I showed them and still no fix!!!
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:130kg or whatever so what? The NC has a proper retractable roof and more usable space - not cut down everything- stowage is poverty level in ND. The more I see it the less I like it. The return to soft top was a bad move and the RS looks funny and is expensive. Weight always a joke- look at the car park. What does a Porsche weigh or a Mustang - the public just does not care about a car weight.

Horses for courses. Im sure the cheese and biccies set couldn’t care less for the kg, but for track junkies like myself it makes a big difference.
Equally I couldn’t care less whether it has 12 cup holders or whether a cardigan fits in the boot.

F=ma. More mass means less acceleration, slower cornering, worse braking.etc,etc not to mention worse fuel economy if that matters to you.

Im disappointed that the 2.0 ND2 only comes in GT spec now if you want a soft top, which I do, as the extra weight of the goodies that the gt comes with is unnecessary imho..
So once my NB reaches its use by date, i’ll Be giving the lard arse NC a wide berth and jumping straight to an ND, and enjoying the significant performance advantage(s) the lighter ND provides over an NC. YMMV

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 am

ManiacLachy wrote:I really love that Mazda finally made the ND in a bright colour, can't' wait to see a 30th in the flesh. Hopefully they were pleasantly surprised at the reaction it's getting and will offer additional colours in the future.

While I personally would really love to see more bright colours available, I would advise against holding your breath. Global trends continue to be towards white, silver, grey and black. Those 4 make up 78% of all cars sold globally with white more than twice as popular as the second placed black. Red and blue are the next most popular (except Asia where golds/browns are the next most popular but they're also way above the global average for white as well) especially for sports cars.

Humans are rather boring when it comes to choosing car colours.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 am

Yep the ND colour range has been a bit lack lustre since launch.
Snowflake White is the closest you will get to a loud bright colour. I like White so that is the colour I would choose if buying new from the current range.
Soul Red was awesome, had it. Not much of a fan of the replacement Crystal Soul Red, its a darker tone, so again following the trend of dull.
Not a fan of Grey, but Machine Grey is a pretty good grey. The original Meteor Grey the Soft Tops came out in was just yuck.
Ceramic is just a poor excuse for dropping too much White paint in the Silver bucket and now they may as well use it.
The original Blue Reflex was terrible. Should have been called Blue Grey. Eternal blue is a bit better, but still not a great Blue.
Jet Black is not even Black. Its more of a dark Grey.

They need to bring some of the old colours back from the past.
I want a Yellow ND. That bright yellow they did on Early Mazda 3 SP23's and RX-8s would definitely suffice. Not that dull Canary Yellow they also had available.
A real dark black like Brilliant Black on FD RX-7's would be nice. Or a sparkly one like Black Mica as on NB SE's.
Or a nice vibrant Blue, like Winning Blue or deep one like Innocent Blue from the RX-7. How about Velocity Red, Radiant Ebony or Highland Green for a bit of Metallic Sparkle, never seen many other Mazda colours with so much Metallic fleck in them.

At least this Anniversary Model has a nice unique bright Orange Colour.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 am

Is Ceramic that terrible white with a grey tinge they also put on CX3s? Why would anybody buy such a muddy colour.

Red Dragon
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Red Dragon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 pm

pie5
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pie5 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:35 pm

The Racing Orange certainly does stands out in a sea of white/silver/grey/black, I can see people watching it as I drive by.
And I have had lots of positive comments about the colour.
The 30AE absolutely includes the Strut Brace, it just wasn't listed as a feature by Mazda AU.
The primary reason for my purchase was the Recaro seats because they are not available any other way.
I was quoted $12k from Mazda for a single replacement Recaro for a 2018 RF LE and I also asked if I could special order a car with them. Answer was NO of course.
2019 Racing Orange 30AE #783
2006 Stormy Blue NC 2.4 GWR Header & Exhaust, Progress Springs, Koni Shocks, Whiteline Sways, Recaros.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:51 pm

The colour is special si it not?

its kind of doing the Porsche Tangerine 911 Carerra SC 2.7 1974?

no?

The color has heritage. I'd get it just for that.

Porsche 911 carerra SC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 pm

ƒü¢k yea Id have that....I love everything, the seats, the roof, the brakes.
I'd love it even more if it came with a individual identication plate like the 10AE

*stan's running around doing pelvic thrusts & listening to pointer sisters just thinking of the 30AE!!!!*

the way it drives? who cares....It would get modded to handle
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

aka_juffa
Racing Driver

Postby aka_juffa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:21 pm

It seems that the Vic Club members that ordered a 30th Anniversary Edition have taken delivery of said car.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYq4p28zy5GQ4Naf9

You can also watch a video produced by Pakenham Mazda on the delivery of Andrew Tate's car - have a look at the following link - https://www.facebook.com/35503800458948 ... =e&sfns=mo

It might just be the nudge I needed to go on a club run.

Looking forward to seeing one in person.
Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

lucmor444
Racing Driver

Postby lucmor444 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 pm

StanTheMan wrote:I'd love it even more if it came with a individual identication plate like the 10AE

Cars delivered in the US have individual identification plaques so maybe the Australian cars may have them too?

pie5
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pie5 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:14 pm

lucmor444 wrote:
StanTheMan wrote:I'd love it even more if it came with a individual identication plate like the 10AE

Cars delivered in the US have individual identification plaques so maybe the Australian cars may have them too?

Mine :D
30AE_Badge.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2019 Racing Orange 30AE #783
2006 Stormy Blue NC 2.4 GWR Header & Exhaust, Progress Springs, Koni Shocks, Whiteline Sways, Recaros.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am

Hope that's not on the outside of the car?

chops
Fast Driver

Postby chops » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:21 pm

yep on the outside as did the 10th and 25th anniversary models

Return to “MX5 General Chat”