New must have ND accessorie

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

aka_juffa
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

New must have ND accessorie

Postby aka_juffa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Motor Neurone Disease chose me, I choose Voluntary Assisted Dying.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: New must have ND accessorie

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Think that's the first time I've seen an MX5 being sold complete with a trailer for it or another car to tow, ie as opposed to a track car & trailer.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Thats interesting- Mazda actually saying towing is possible up to X kg and a legal tow bar? I wonder if one of our forum guys can see what the owner manual says.

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Wow , ugliest interior colour combination ever...

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Craig » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 am

rascal wrote:Wow , ugliest interior colour combination ever...

Oh i dunno, the prosthetic leg orange tan leather interior on the NC was pretty ghastly! :lol:
*** Audi A5 Sportback - back in black! ***

RBH58
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby RBH58 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:39 pm

rascal wrote:Wow , ugliest interior colour combination ever...

Looks WAAAY better than combining the Nappa leather option with it.
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

RBH58
Fast Driver

Postby RBH58 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Well....it’s one way of being able to take a couple of suitcases with you.
RBH58
Current garage: 2017 ND MX5 RF GT Black Roof & 2016 Abarth 124 Spider Launch Edition

d4m0
Driver

Postby d4m0 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:Thats interesting- Mazda actually saying towing is possible up to X kg and a legal tow bar? I wonder if one of our forum guys can see what the owner manual says.

The ND2 manual states "Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda." That's page 3-46 under the "Towing Caravans and Trailers" section. I guess that means you can tow a Caravan - just not a trailer.

rvlovell
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby rvlovell » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:02 am

I'm not sure what shocks me more, the fact he's trying to sell his car with trailer attached or the price.
Back to having no money, damn my obsession.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Why wouldn't an MX5 be capable of towing a small trailer safely assuming sensible weight limits
? (Not that I would want to, but people for whom it was an only car might.)
The upholstery is not my preferred colour but you see a lot of imported cars with that colour.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:52 pm

It will be no tow because the engineers will recognise shortcomings somewhere in the vehicle where towing may affect safety or lead to failure of components. I would not consider towing anything where that( no tow) is stated by a maker and I reckon any insurance claim would be denied. Going further- modern vehicles have towing capacities and ball weights defined as well and insurers will check claims and even evaluate what extra weight a van may be carrying. In the old days I don't think anyone had much idea what was legal- we just did it

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 am

rvlovell wrote:I'm not sure what shocks me more, the fact he's trying to sell his car with trailer attached or the price.

I thought the same.

Dear buyers,

I have priced this car a hole $3K lower than new price with 12K on the odo. I have been towing a trailer when I shouldn't have. So you will need to replace the clutch sooner than anticipated. Enjoy.

From, the seller...

I also note the seller has in the description that the towball attaches with two bolts. Pretty sure than is a no-no for legislation, they need to attach with four bolts, two side side to chassis rail.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:48 am

Think he means the tongue. Towball is threaded so only uses a nut. The whole tongue can usually be removed by 2 bolts (nuts are usually fixed). Towbar frame requires 4 nuts/bolts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:48 pm

You guys have read the ad all wrong;
He is selling a Trailer. The trailer has an ND attached. Thus the photos highlighting the former.
He probably couldn't find a Trailer Category on the website so he put it under Mazda.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:It will be no tow because the engineers will recognise shortcomings somewhere in the vehicle where towing may affect safety or lead to failure of components. I would not consider towing anything where that( no tow) is stated by a maker and I reckon any insurance claim would be denied. Going further- modern vehicles have towing capacities and ball weights defined as well and insurers will check claims and even evaluate what extra weight a van may be carrying. In the old days I don't think anyone had much idea what was legal- we just did it

It may not necessarily have been that the car is physcially incapable of towing safely, it may well have been more a cost cutting measure in that Mazda felt that it wasn't worth the effort/money to go through the testing and approval procedures to have a model certified for towing when there would be an incredibly small number of buyers towing with it anyway.

I personally wouldn't tow with one, since regardless of it's physical capacity to do so, it would likely be terrible at pulling anything more than some wheeled luggage bags.

I've towed with my partner's 626 wagon, which is rated to 450 unbraked, and 900 braked.
the 250kg box trailer was fine, but the 500kg braked dual axle (before loading) was pretty crap to pull (trailer often wanted to try and pull the car around, and the clutch had to work a lot harder from a stanting start), despite being well below the maximum.
and that was on a car far longer than an MX5, and with about 300/400kg more weight to it.

For the cost of owning, and maintaining, a trailer for an MX5 for the few times a year you need it, you'd be better off to just rent a ute or van a couple of times a year.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Return to “MX5 General Chat”