Questions on Prestige Soft Tops

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

kiezon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Questions on Prestige Soft Tops

Postby kiezon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi all, adding to the soft top queries regarding Prestige Soft Tops.

Are there any other parts required to fit their tops (excluding the strap kit for NAs) i.e. rain rail, wires, rivets etc?

Also, I have read some people have had issues with the tops not sitting flat and have had to push the glass back to allow the top to fold. Are there specific models this issue is isolated to? Perhaps an error in the installation process?

Currently looking at the below soft top as the one piece design looks more modern:
https://www.prestigetops.com.au/1990-20 ... ister.html

This model seems to match the factory top:
https://www.prestigetops.com.au/1990-20 ... ister.html

1.6lAutorotor
Learner Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Re: Questions on Prestige Soft Tops

Postby 1.6lAutorotor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm

I have one installed on my 93, it was great when first installed, the company sorted me well when some glue started to detach. Sent some adhesive tape and instructions to fix. It has been installed for about 9 years mainly under a hard roof. For the last 3 years it hasn't been up. And I just tried to use it instead of the hard top, but I couldn't get it to close. I think the Australian temps are a bit high for the glue they use. It might not be an issue if it's used every day. But it didn't like being stored for a long time. It's very stiff and more glue has seperated. I didn't get cloth, it was vinyl with glass.

da
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Questions on Prestige Soft Tops

Postby da » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:06 am

I put one of their one-piece stayfast tops on my 93 and it's an impressive water barrier, holding up very well against extreme downpours. There was the issue of having to push the glass back when folding, but you'd need to be quite a whinger to consider it an issue, and it stopped doing that anyway.
You will need a rain rail, the tension cables, a couple of rivets to attach them to the frame and some bond glue.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”