Insurance, here's a good one

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Insurance, here's a good one

Postby bruce » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:28 pm

And....?

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Okay folks, listen up coz this is stuff that I did not know before. The insurance corporations operate under their own set of illusions regarding value as opposed to most people on this forum who love their cars.

Firstly, they will not pay for any 'add-ons' over 12 months old as they are considered 'depreciated' to zero by then. :shock: :shock:
You could probably make a case for a hard top as they do have considerable 2nd hand value, but then they would probably let you take the hard top so you can sell it yourself.

Secondly if the 'add-ons' are under 12 months old AND you can produce receipts to prove it, they will separately pay out the value. In my case I have a new battery which I can claim for but the roll bar which is well over 12 months is lost.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:35 pm

That sucks.

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StuwieP » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 pm

Get it independently assessed and then make the demand of the other party's insurer.

Unlike your insurer, no contract governs what they can do. They are obliged to put you in or as to close to as possible the position you were in prior to the collision.

PM me if you want to discuss further.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

bootz
Racing Driver

Postby bootz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you for all your offers of support, the issue has come to a resolution.

It is not a win situation but one I can live with . After dicking me around for a month by giving me a low ball offer the RACV has upped their offer by 50% , yes 50%, to what I would have called a reasonable offer in the first place.

I guess they wanted me to go away, I was also sick and tired of their games. (first offer was from Bad Cop, very inflexible, unresponsive. Acceptable offer was from Good Cop, a lovely, reasonable person. :roll: ) . Also, how many times do I want to call them and have them put me on hold for an hour plus, only to be told the message was to be passed upline and they will call me back. They never called me back!! There were always layers and layers of impenetrable bureaucracy, and always different people to deal with. It's hard not to take it personally but to them it is just corporate profit taking and standard procedure. They dont even get involved with the work but contract out to IAG who dragged their heels.

The whole process cost me a month of anxiety and worry, dealing with faceless corporations is not my favorite pastime. Luckily I was able to wait them out on this one, others might not be in such a fortunate position as me. I also have the sadness of having lost my MX-5 friend of 9 years, John Lennon said " Life is something that happens while you are planning other things." So true.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm

That's much better news.
I had a similar experience a while back with a big corporation - they kept saying no, no, no, until I spoke to someone who said yes.

pcmx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pcmx5 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Sad that you were put through this by the RACV.I realise that this is an insurance company but the RACV (and I am a long standing member) is a disgrace.Too interested in promoting everything except car owners rights ,more likely to be on some crusade for the extremist Greens,other issues or trying to sell you some service you do not want.Totally lost the plot in my opinion!
Glad that it was a reasonable outcome for you in this case.Anytime your car gets hit it is likely not to be good!
Peter
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Its just business- most of us have an insurance policy on a car which shows the market value- we can see that when we get the policy renewal for the year. If we have accessories and they are not declared or not valued etc then you would think the insurer is not obliged to pay anything for them. "Loving" a car does not earn special rights. Try doing deals or negotiating with Companies like NBN and Service providers. You can deal with a person in 3 different continents and repeat the story a number of times. RACV do business in a different world than the good old days. To survive they had to diversify-a spread of income streams- the Royalauto reflects the reality of a consumer society. Same too I suppose for NRMA.

pcmx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pcmx5 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Nice stating of the obvious Mr M, i prefer to think that a club has some values but will leave it there!!!
Peter
.Now ND2 Roadster prev NC2 Recaro's ,BBS wheels,full exhaust, Tiens NA 1.6.NA 1.8 LE(106RWKW)NC1,NC2.ND 1.5 .

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:54 pm

I have just renewed the comprehensive insurance on the SE and the Barge (BA Falcon wagon). The Barge, no problem, but the agreed value on the SE was (IIRC) $11k :shock: . One phone call later, a much more agreeable value was agreed :D and the aftermarket accessories updated. Job done, new renewal issued (premium went up a few dollars, naturellement), premium paid.

One 10 minute(?) phone conversation, both sides conducted in Australian accents - Shannons FTW 8)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 General Chat”