Car Trailer Hire

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

gsu003
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Car Trailer Hire

Postby gsu003 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am

I would like to tow my MX5 to Phillip Island for the 6 Hour. Does anyone know of a place in Sydney that hires trailers that are suitable? I have looked at a few and they are not well maintained, inadequate tyres, over-ride brakes that are not adjusted correctly etc. Generally, they don’t instil confidence to tow 2000km. I am near Hurstville and would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance, Greg.

The Zork
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Car Trailer Hire

Postby The Zork » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Good to be skeptical about commercial trailer hire places for a long range tow. I had a wheel come off at 110kph at night. Still don't know how the wheel missed an on comming vehicle.
Never found the wheel.
I suggest getting in touch with a local car club such as Mx5 or IPRA NSW and ringing around with an owner directly. Improved Production guys often tow to interstate events and are great inthusiastic chaps who would be happy to lend their well maintained trailers for a reasonable fee.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:43 pm

I don't reckon I would be lending a trailer to someone I did not know. Anyone going down the path of a car trailer hire would need to be making sure that insurance is taken care of - i.e. properly arranged. I hired a tandem for a heavy car and the quality of the tandem was fine- the tow vehicle / trailer had electric brakes. The tow vehicle itself might also need to be checked out e.g. weight of trailer and vehicle on board inside legal .

I actually borrowed a tandem from a mate but when the time came to load the car the realisation sunk in that the trailer was not safe- I did not load the vehicle but just returned the trailer with thanks.

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby CrazyRacer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 am

Some of the places that make race car trailers hire them out.
They usually keep them in pretty good condition too as its a try before you buy tool for them.
I can't help you with any specific places in Sydney though, but I know Trik in Melbourne hire them out.

Mr Morlock wrote:I don't reckon I would be lending a trailer to someone I did not know.

I have to agree with this. Every time in the past I have lent a trailer to someone I knew it always came back needing repairs. If its local I may tow for them, but I now have a strict no lend policy.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”