Trav’s Race Build: from B6 to Big Bore BP-Z3

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Scoota
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Trav’s Race Build: from B6 to Big Bore BP-Z3

Postby Scoota » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi plohl (Shane?).

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you’ve seen/heard this all before, so thanks for joining the discussion.

Yeah, ITB’s... It’s a contentious one. I won’t know until I start tuning the car, but I’m hearing reports from both camps... Depending on who I ask, ITB’s are either better or worse for a range of reasons. I won’t know until we get them fitted and start tuning. At this stage I’m willing to go ahead with ITB fitment and tuning, but I will have a manifold/MAP/TPS/filter setup ready to go if it’s not working out.

Regarding valve and piston interference, yes, that’s definitely a risk with this engine. I’ve agonised about this fact quite a lot, but I have reached the point where I’m willing to go ahead with the VVT in-service. Most failure modes that I can foresee result in the inlet camshaft either staying where it is (eg. loss of oil pressure to the VVT spool valve), or returning to the “full retard” position (loss of power to the VVT solenoid). I won’t know if this is an interference scenario until I put the engine together and conduct some tests, as you suggest.

My engine builder is very much aware of this interference risk, and he is willing to help me to measure the points at which interference occurs at both ends of the inlet camshaft VVT actuator travel range. My camshaft and valve spring supplier (and super-helpful dude, Pat from Competition Systems) has recommended a minimum clearance of 1mm from piston to valve, and I will be sticking to that when setting the VVT actuator travel limits in the ECU (I’ll stay well clear of that for the initial tune). I’m told that the advance and retard limits can be set in the Adaptronic M1200, as the VVT actuator control range essentially.

Regarding your comment about a physical travel limit on the VVT actuator... I’d sleep better if I had such a thing, but from what I can tell it has not been done before. I’ve sketched a few ideas in my head that would work, but it would be experimental and therefore somewhat risky. If anyone knows of a BP engine build that involved a VVT actuator mod to limit total travel at either/both ends of the travel range, please let me know!!

To further mitigate against piston and valve interference, I hope to use adjustable cam gears on both camshafts. I’m not sure if this can be done yet, but here’s what I’m hoping... I will install and adjust the inlet cam gear such that the inlet camshaft cannot reach a point in the VVT control range that causes piston/valve interference (<1mm clearance) at the “full retard” end of the VVT actuator travel range. In doing so, I can prevent piston/valve interference in the event of failure of the VVT Solenoid. This little beastie is a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) solenoid. If it loses power it will go to the 0% position and take the VVT spool valve to the “retard” position, which will retard the inlet camshaft timing until the VVT actuator runs out of travel in the retard direction. If I can ensure that this “full retard” position does not cause a piston/valve interference scenario (<1mm clearance), I may sleep easier. Once the inlet cam gear position is set at the gear, it will be secured and locked there. It will not be adjusted during the tuning process.

Okay, now to have a look at the exhaust camshaft... This camshaft will also have an adjustable cam gear fitted. Initially I will start at the “zero” position and confirm that we have adequate clearance from valve to piston (1mm minimum). I think we’ll have enough to do during engine assembly, so I probably won’t look at how far I can safely advance or retard the exhaust camshaft while maintaining the 1mm minimum clearance. Therefore the exhaust camshaft gear will be set as per the camshaft data sheet and locked up there. If it’s getting too complicated I may even throw the non-adjustable cam gear back on the exhaust camshaft. As I said, I reckon there will be enough to do with regard to getting a handle on the interference issues on the inlet camshaft. I don’t expect my tuner to want to adjust the exhaust camshaft timing, but I guess we’ll wait and see.

Regarding my choice to go with oversized valves... You are probably correct. I don’t need them, but I think I want them. I’m increasing the capacity to 1930cc. I’m paraphrasing, but increasing the bore size and capacity does... something (I’ve forgotten the exact phenomenon, so I won’t make it up). Increasing the valve sizes does... something else, but in the opposite sense. Doing one without the other makes less sense to me, but doing both together makes more sense. I’m no guru, and I’m certainly not going to argue that I “need” bigger valves. It was recommended by a few people that are guiding me on this build, so I’m going for it. Bigger valves will be installed.

As a general comment, I am taking guidance and inspiration from this article from Goodwin Racing...

http://gwracing.altervista.org/factors- ... 2015-.html

It offers the following advice about valve size...

When it comes to head porting and flowing, I am in the hands of my “head guy” at this point. We haven’t started yet, so I’ve got time to work it out. If you guys know of an article about how to achieve good flow in the BP-Z3 head, please let me know. I haven’t started researching that yet, but I’ll start on that soon. I’d like to be able to provide some “rules of thumb” to my head guy, relating specifically to the BP-Z3 head, but I don’t have any yet!!

Regarding the bottom end, yeah you’re right... Most of that work is in pursuit of reliability, not power gains. Balancing can yield some power gains according to some sources, but I don’t know for sure.

Regarding your other comments Shane...

• Yes, we will measure the compression ratio, and we won’t rely on the piston manufacturer.
• We will also measure our squish clearance.
• I’ve ordered good bearings (ACL) and we will have the crank crack tested.
• Coils? Yep, I’m going with OEM NB8B coils at this stage.
• Spark plugs... Thanks for the recommendation!! Based on your advice I will probably run a bkr8e-11 initially.
• The diff suggestion? Thanks, but I’ve already bought the NB Torsen 2. My current NA6 diff is not going to cut it, so the upgrade is primarily to reduce the odds of a failure. I’m not going to stretch the budget to cover an OS Giken unit at this stage, but I won’t rule it out in future.

If you’ve got the time and the inclination, I would love to hear the rest of your thoughts. I’m learning at a pretty rapid rate and I’m bound to make some blunders, given the rate at which I’m making decisions. If there are some obvious failings in the current plan, I’m open to suggestions.

Yeah, ITB’s... Aren’t they like stickers...?
Plus 40 horsepower and 400 wow points?

Thanks again for your feedback guys. I’m really enjoying the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim_cyc03
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Tim_cyc03 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:14 pm

Scoota wrote:
As a general comment, I am taking guidance and inspiration from this article from Goodwin Racing...

http://gwracing.altervista.org/factors- ... 2015-.html

Sorry second time occurring, pretty sure that is not Goodwin Racing, it is Gary White Racing.

And good luck with competition systems, by far the worst business I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Order 4 velocity stacks, a throttle linkage, and a TPS in September, told they would be there in two weeks, don't receive the first part of the order till December, which was the wrong linkage, then after about 5 emails and 15 phone calls, I get the velocity stacks in January, which 2 were damaged, and the wrong TPS, which was about half the price and was faulty.

So pretty sure unless you have those parts in your hands now, if you are relying on them for anything, your engine will not be ready till next year.

Google reviews also have similar dealings, I am not alone.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Tim_cyc03 wrote:And good luck with competition systems, by far the worst business I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

I have always had good service from them!

Scoota wrote:Yeah, ITB’s... It’s a contentious one.

I have stayed out of this... yes I have them but I tend to agree with Shane now. The main issue is getting a suitable air box setup and most of the time this involves deleting the brake booster...

Read this post http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=877363#p877363

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Oops, my mistake... Not Goodwin Racing, but actually Gary White Racing. Thanks for pointing that out Tim.

Regarding Competition Systems... All I can do is hope that your experience is the exception and not the norm. I’m sad to hear that you’ve had trouble with them. I’ve been pretty happy with the advice offered this far, but I’m a glass half full kinda guy, so maybe I’m in for a nasty surprise. Time will tell.

I’ll be sure to check in with them to keep them honest with regards to delivery. Thanks for the heads-up about their habits.

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Hey, thanks Magpie.

Yeah, ITB’s... It’s going to be an interesting ride!!!

Hey, about that forum thread that you posted... Tupperware?? I’m not getting the relevance, but I am a fan!!

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Scoota wrote:Hey, about that forum thread that you posted... Tupperware?? I’m not getting the relevance, but I am a fan!!

This box the filter is in is a tupperware container. See first pic in linked thread

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 pm

Scoota wrote:Hey, about that forum thread that you posted... Tupperware?? I’m not getting the relevance, but I am a fan!!

It is about space to fit an air box etc, this was a Tupperware solution that worked very well! You will also see that the car in the picture does not have a brake booster.

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Okay, cool. If I go for an OEM manifold I will probably do something like this...

...sans air flow meter.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 pm

they talk about installing larger valves like being a major operation.
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Also.... Parcels are starting to arrive.

ralt
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby ralt » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi.
The most important question to ask is the headwork being done with a flow bench. If not you are wasting your money. There is more to each cylinder heads secret than just porting. Something for you to think about do your valves need to open as far as they do?

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Hi ralt.

Wow, some pretty cryptic advice there.

I’m pretty sure my “head guy” will be using a flow bench, but I will check. Good advice.

Regarding cylinder heads and their secrets... Are you able to share any tips as to what these secrets might be with regard to the BP-Z3 in particular?

Regarding valve lift... I think you’re inferring that 10mm of lift is too much. I’ve ordered my camshafts already, so if they’re no good then I guess I’ve made a bad choice, which is entirely possible. Can you offer any reasons as to why you think 10mm of lift is too much?

Keep the advice and comments coming folks!

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Hey StanTheMan.

Regarding larger valves... Yeah, I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I guess we’ll see soon enough. According to the internet, it’s not uncommon to go 1mm oversized. There’s some work involved obviously. I’ll give it a shot and let you know.

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:22 pm

More parcels!!!!!

• Toyota 4AGE Silvertop throttle bodies, used, probably in need of some cleaning and servicing.
• 75mm ITB trumpets from Mannon Racing (NZ).
• Adaptronic M1200 programmable ECU.
• Manifold locating dowels, from Sam Q at SQ Engineering (not sure if I’ll need these, but they were virtually free, unwanted stock. How could I refuse!).

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 pm

Hey, I found a sweet set of videos by Beavis detailing an ITB installation very similar to what I’m planning. Check it out! I am planning to deviate from that demo in a couple of ways, but I’ll get to that when the time comes.

https://youtu.be/o5M3eVB23Vg

Return to “MX5 General Chat”