Trav’s Race Build: from B6 to Big Bore BP-Z3

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Scoota
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Trav’s Race Build: from B6 to Big Bore BP-Z3

Postby Scoota » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks for the advice on the welsh plug Shane. Too late for this build, sadly.

Regarding the radiator... Yep, I’m sure you’re right - it will be over-cooled. However... Expensive Engine + Big Radiator & Fans = Peace of Mind.

Regarding progress, today is going really well. I put oil in the engine, and none came out. I put coolant in the radiator, and none came out. The diff is full. The gearbox is full. The throttle linkages are adjusted and the cable connected. My mate Rusty saved my arse with this amazing solution...

It works an absolute treat!!!

Here are some more progress shots. Packaging is still a bit messy, but that’s will all happen eventually. I’ll tidy up cable runs and hose runs once I’ve got it all connected and operational.

I forgot that the coolant overflow bottle goes here, so I spent an hour or so modifying the bracket so that they can happily coexist.

Before...

After...

And here are the vacuum lines and “manifold log”, top left on the scuttle...

The air filter has not arrived, hence no trumpets and filter box. It was ordered about a month ago, but... Dramas with Competition Systems. Not my favourite vendor.

And here is “The List”!!

It’s satisfying to see some progress, but bloody hell, I’m cooked!!

Back to the shed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Scoota wrote:Too late for this build, sadly.

Nah, not too late actually. It can be done next time you have the timing belt off - which will likely be when/if your cams arrive. You just need to remove the plate bolted to the head, then unbolt the filler neck. It's like an extra 5min job once you have the cams out/timing apart.

I think it's a 25 or 26mm welsh plug, IIRC... but best to check.
Cheers,
plohl

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:43 pm

You were supposed to add something funny to that 'To Do' list to see if anyone noticed.

Tim_cyc03
Fast Driver

Postby Tim_cyc03 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:28 pm

I was more implying that the fans and shroud are probably more detrimental on a track only car, and the efficiency of the cooling will potentially be less. But I'm sure I'm probably wrong.

Tell competition systems you want a refund, call EFI Hardware and I'm sure they will have in stock what you actually need, and it will be at your door the following day if you can't pick it up.

Ross
Fast Driver

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:03 am

bruce wrote:You were supposed to add something funny to that 'To Do' list to see if anyone noticed.

I was looking for that too, ie
"Kick tyres"
Cheers
Ross

1990 BRG V-Special, NB Koni sport with King springs, MS-03's

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Ha ha, sorry to disappoint regarding erroneous list entries. I’m too exhausted to try and be funny.

Today is Dyno Day!!!

I’m here at Adicted Performance in Hallam.

I’m happy to report that the new engine starts and runs!! We’ve had no wiring gremlins to deal with, and not a drop of fluid has made its way onto the floor. So relieved!!!

So much could have gone wrong today. I mean, we’re not out of the woods, but as I type this message the engine is happily being run in (not yet under load).

The main man here, Danks, is working on the throttle tip-in response. When he’s happy, we’ll start to load it up and start tuning for horsepower.

So relieved to see it running. Can I sleep now??

plohl
Racing Driver

Postby plohl » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:27 pm

120 to 130 whp?

Maybe 140?

Or if the dyno is pretty happy 150?
Cheers,
plohl

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Well done.

If that's your catch can I see near the headers, take care as that wont meet CAMS spec for your next track day. They'll want a 2L can.
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:15 am

beavis wrote:They'll want a 2L can.

Yep!

https://www.cams.com.au/docs/default-source/manual/general-requirements/2019-schedule-a-and-b---1.pdf?sfvrsn=687c3ff0_12
Schedule B (n)
if fitted with any crankcase breather discharging to the atmosphere, each breather be vented into a catch tank of minimum capacity of two litres for engines up to 2000cc or three litres for over 2000cc. Regulations for competitions on unsealed surfaces may waive this requirement;

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks everybody!

The magic number is... 150 rwhp!

Factors in play... Not the final exhaust. I had to compromise due to lack of time. I just grafted my old exhaust onto the new headers.

Also, standard cams are installed. We didn’t go near VVT tweaking either, so maybe there’s a bit of mid-range to be had there later.

We killed two coils whilst running in the engine. Overheated, killed. Thanks for letting me raid your shed, Dave!! We didn’t figure out why, so I’d be happy to hear suggestions or ideas. Both times it was the 2/3 coil.

There’s a lot more to do on the car, but I’m happy that it’s running. It’s not running well, but it will be fine to allow me to shakedown the bugs at Bryant Park this weekend (working bee / practice day, not competitive).

Regarding the catch can... I will argue the point first, and then agree to install a 2L can.
I’m well aware of that clause in the Schedule, but thanks for the helpful advice. My can doesn’t vent to atmosphere. It does this...

I think that means I can run a smaller volume can, but maybe some scrutineers may argue the point, so I’m better off just getting a 2L can. I’m going to anyway, because I’ve realised that feeding the catch can back to the manifold log that delivers the MAP to the ECU is a really crap idea. Forgive my silliness. I see the stupidity now, but the plumbing made sense at the time. I’ll sort that out and have a 2L catch can venting to atmosphere, which will clean up the MAP signal.

I’d better get stuck in!!

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Scoota wrote:We killed two coils whilst running in the engine. Overheated, killed.

The incorrect dwell setting is good for cooking coils.

Do the coils have good and stable voltage?

shirtz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby shirtz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:38 pm

just read the post from start to finish. well done on everything and providing such great pictures and story. how did you go on the weekend? whens the Bathurst race again? will you have time to run the engine in?

Scoota
Fast Driver

Postby Scoota » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi Folks.

Well, it’s been a hectic week. I haven’t had much sleep, and I’m completely fried from working my arse off getting the car ready, but I’m happy to report... We made it to Bathurst!!!

In the last week or so the car has been started, run in, Dyno tested, and I even did some sneaky testing at a local airfield (thanks Dean!!). It took a while to hone in on a stable idle with the Adaptronic guys, but it’s sorted now and it’s in a good enough state of tune to get me around Mt Panorama.

It’s true what people say... ITB’s are a bit of work to get working. The sound is pretty epic though, and hopefully they’re worth a few extra horses.

I finished the last job on the car at 8:30pm last night, hit the road this morning and finished our 10 hour drive at 8pm today. I’m rooted!!!

I’ve had to compromise quite a bit to get the car finished for this event, but I’m pretty happy overall. My camshafts are still in Belgium or somewhere ridiculous, I’ve got a half-arsed exhaust botched together from the previous system, and the engine bay is way too messy for my liking, but at least it’s a goer. A project like this is never really finished, but I’m happy to mark this as a significant completion milestone.

I’m here in Bathurst with my family and a massive team of guys from the Vic MX-5 Club, and I’m so pumped to be close to completion on this little project. I’ll be competing in the “Regularity Trial” part of Challenge Bathurst. A lot of people kept telling me I’d never make it to this event. Maybe that’s why I pushed so hard. I certainly could not have gotten here without a lot of help. My family, my friends, the MX-5 club guys, and all of you good people here on this forum. Thank you so much.

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:25 pm

Yay, good luck :)
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 pm

Been a great read and an awesome effort to get to this point...Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Return to “MX5 General Chat”