Block sun from side?

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

magenb
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Block sun from side?

Postby magenb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:17 am

Since the sunvisors don't rotate in the NC and ND's, has anyone found a good way to block the sun when its hitting side on.

I did come across a conversion to fit an Audi sunvisor for the NC, but I'm not finding any thing for the ND as yet.

I'm not Will Smith so wearing a hat sideways isn't a solution :lol:

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Block sun from side?

Postby bruce » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:02 am

That is a major pain. Maybe pop into a Mazda dealer and sit in a few different cars and see what rotates and might be fitted to the ND?

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Not all that hard- you wear a hat with a wide brim or peaked cap with a nice long beak ( like the rappers) or a sun visor like one sees at the tennis. Wearing hats sideways- no problemato . In the early days of motoring it was common for guys to reverse their flat caps rather than have them blow off. I have an NC and hats are standard packing.

lonesailor
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby lonesailor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:23 pm

I just bought a floppy brimmed hat,with a neckshield from Lowes . Works a treat, t just keep it scrunched up in the car. It might not get a tick from the fashion police however.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Round town I don't have a solution but for long trips I made a set of covers out of fine light-grade shadecloth that slip over the windows and are held in place when the doors are shut. I later bought a set specifically made for the rear doors and modified them to fit the fronts.
Both worked well although I believe front shades are illegal as you wouldn't want people driving around with them in the city - although some of the dark tints I see would be just as bad and have the further disadvantage of being permanent so you have to deal with them at night.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Maybe half or a third of a window sock would solve the problem?

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Sunglasses. 8)
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:07 pm

My SE just has a subtle tint on the side windows (assume it's not factory but correct me if the SE did come with factory tinted windows) and I find that's enough in most situations with side sun. It just takes that glare and heat away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:38 pm

My Mazda 6 has a medium tint on the side windows and it is nowhere near dark enough to be comfortable travelling with the sun on the side of the car.
A few hours and you'd be fried. The Missus used to trap a towel in the top of the window to block it out. That was OK on the highway but needed to be removed when you went through a town.
Bruce mentions "window sock". I think we are talking about the same thing, except you can't buy them for front windows. You have to modify the rear-window ones.

bruce
Speed Racer

Postby bruce » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:16 pm

The amount of sun does depend upon where you live, thus the differing opinions on what works.

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:00 pm

And time of year for that matter. The tint depends on the filters over darkness. Some light tints reduce heat a lot more than darker ones. I know mine reduces the glare and heat more than the darker tint on my wife's Echo. That said, when its over 30° I'd rather take her car any day, the aircon and just general comfort level in those temps is way better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:30 pm

I find it's the glare as much as the heat on long trips. The eyes get tired from squinting against the glare. Sunglasses only cut out some of it - unless you can wear those radical wrap-arounds that really hug the face. I wear progressive spectacles and so cannot get a close fit in prescription sunglasses as they cannot do the wrap-around thing with prescription lenses, particularly progressives.
Closest thing I could find was those 'overglasses' that go over the top of your spectacles, which aren't all that comfortable for long periods.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”