Forum Vs Social Media

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Forum Vs Social Media

Postby Magpie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:21 pm

bruce wrote:If social media is so bad why do people keep using it? It must be some psychological need/reward/satisfaction thing.
It is not 'bad' rather more in the moment. Hence if using social media to market you cannot let content go stale.

I suggest some people have a listen to Racers In Rental cars as they discuss this very subject, marketing and self promotion. Be warned it is a little biased towards drag racing in the states but the message is universal.

https://racersinrentalcars.com/category/podcast/

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:34 pm

To me, forums, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube are all forms of “social media”, just with different purposes and levels of usefulness.

Facebook Inc et al have been optimised to sell and so they have been developed to keep you there using human social psychological and behavioural characteristics. Just like the pokies. Very good for allowing interesting messages to circulate quickly (and fade just as quickly when something new comes along). It’s short form.

Forums are not great for selling stuff, and so haven’t been improved that much over time. Lots of room to improve with a better interface and content creation tools - such a pain having to host photos somewhere else for example. Good for sharing long form information, and for aggregating knowledge (“stickies”). Easier to search but still not super easy (“search noob”).

Faceforumtubipedia-itter is what we need.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:42 am

I agree with The American, sums it up pretty well. Each has a purpose, opt in for the ones that suit you and ignore the others. I don't think a combined system would work though.

Anyway, I like the forums still for the car communities above the other forms.

GR124
Fast Driver
Vehicle: MX5 Locost

Postby GR124 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:38 am

The American wrote:To me, forums, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube are all forms of “social media”, just with different purposes and levels of usefulness.

Facebook Inc et al have been optimised to sell and so they have been developed to keep you there using human social psychological and behavioural characteristics. Just like the pokies. Very good for allowing interesting messages to circulate quickly (and fade just as quickly when something new comes along). It’s short form.

Forums are not great for selling stuff, and so haven’t been improved that much over time. Lots of room to improve with a better interface and content creation tools - such a pain having to host photos somewhere else for example. Good for sharing long form information, and for aggregating knowledge (“stickies”). Easier to search but still not super easy (“search noob”).

Faceforumtubipedia-itter is what we need.

Can someone tell me where the "like" button is, Cause I like The Americans post :wink:

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Forums - knowledgebase
Facebook et all - sugar hit

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:37 pm

JBT wrote:Facebook et all - sugar hit

more like saccharin

droo
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby droo » Sun May 10, 2020 12:43 pm

Interesting seeing the same opinions of it here, exactly like like the social bubbles on facebook.
Said from someone who uses both:
They each have their place. Pretty sure the purpose of forums will be much more useful now that the noise based/ impulsive unresearched questions will be asked on the likes of facebook groups, were as the less noise posted on forums will make finding results a little bit easier.
Its MUCH easier posting videos and images onto SM platforms than it is on forums,that said, it's near impossible to post a sequential story (and keep it sequenced correctly) of a project on Facebook. Instagram is easier for that but not suited to descriptions and interaction. Facebook's comments get prioritised so makes reading thru it frustrating if you're searching for info in the replies. Forums are much easier to write into but considerably more work to prepare images and link to the post. Thats the one thing thats stopped me from uploading detailed photojournals of my works on here.

Both forums and the likes of facebook are equally frustrating with the likes of those who dont read the entire thread. That said, forums are inappropriately used when reply range into 10-20-30 pages or more, with a lot of noise in those replies, just like social media. It's essentially a basic tool for basic content and wasnt designed, more so wasnt evolved by its developers to allow highlighting of content / replies without a huge amount of admin.

If you're after ideas and seeing a huge amount of work on other roadsters from around the world, looking up instagram tags will show projects and modifications that will blow your mind. From there can find the person who made them and maybe eventually find a group on facebook to suit.
Mx5 cartalk is, by its nature, and Australian forum with Australian content. Fine for our Australian social bubble - as if a Canadian or German was to ask questions about mods they could/should/want to do for their cars etc, they would best suggested to search elsewhere.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”