Car Transport and Rego

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

and1
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Car Transport and Rego

Postby and1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Looking for a bit of experience here. Considering moving my MX5 from Perth to Sydney as I have been here for over a year now and I miss driving it.

Has anyone used a particular transport mob that allows you to either fill the car with belongings or allows you to ship boxes alongside it? I have some parts and tools I would like to bring at the same time. Also from my brief reading of Service NSW it looks like I would need to get my car inspected for a blue slip. It currently still has rego in Perth. Am I able to drive with the WA rego for any period?

Thanks
2005 Velocity Red MX-5 SE
Garage thread
http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=44487

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: Car Transport and Rego

Postby bruce » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm

I doubt they would let you fill up the car with stuff as it is likely to get stolen. Why would you risk it too. Boxes next to a car? You may as well leave it at the kerb with a 'take me' sign.
Like any other State they'd want you to change the rego to NSW asap. Probably 30 days grace (just google up the answer). May be a Blue slip exemption as coming registered from another State? Just ring the RTA (or whatever it's called as I'm in Vic).
Ring em, don't rely on us turkeys.

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Car Transport and Rego

Postby Okibi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:14 am

Yeah, don't trust transport companies, especially when your car is on a truck or open train carrage, too often when cars get damaged, items stolen or cars thrashed they blame 3rd parties and no one gets blamed/charged.

CEVA will lock your car in a sea container on the train, it's much safer (but i've heard of cars getting damaged but in their defence they also paid for the repairs).

It's way cheaper to send a car from Perth to Adelaide than back the other way, when we did the Victorian Natmeet, price was about $330 to Adelaide and $950 back to Perth.

If you can spare the time, meet the car in Adelaide, have some fun in the Adelaide hills and enjoy the drive back via the Great Ocean Rd.

Top tip, make sure there's a big sign taped to the steering wheel reminding those at the transport company that the car has a GPS tracker, and if they need to move the car in anything but 1st gear or reverse to call you first so you don't get charged for a call from the tracking company.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”