BMW Z4 Coupe

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

BMW Z4 Coupe

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm

E89
I want one.
there isn't many about.

would prefer the Coupe to the hard top convertible. Probably in the sDrive30i.
whats the Auto like to drive? I'd prefer a manual.

Thoughts, feedback on anything....expensive to keep?
any particular issues?....like the short nose crank & so on
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Re: BMW Z4 Coupe

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm

Z3M Coupe, clownshoe version is very desirable.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Talking Z4 not Z3

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Yes, I noticed. Z4 is a new car (I live in a bit of a cave)? Shared body, engine with new Supra?

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm

There have been 3 generations of Z4. The original was my favourite, offered in fixed roof coupe and soft-top convertible, and even had an M version in both body styles - shared the engine of the E46 M3. I wanted a Z4M Convertible before going with the SE. I thought I was choosing the cheaper option, I bet I've spent more on the SE than I would have on the BMW!

I disliked the 2nd generation, which is the one Stan is talking about. The car was more cruiser/GT than sports car. I believe it was only available in PRHT, which is the devil to me! I don't think it had a coupe option but I could be wrong. Might have had a manual option, but I bet they're rare. I guess if you want a soft luxury roadster they're a good option.

The new generation is the one shared with the Supra, and is only available in soft top convertible. I'd rather the Supra, if it had a manual option.

I also have a soft spot for the Z3M Roadster and Coupe.

Penguin
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Penguin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 pm

IO had a number of friends with the first and second generation Z4's. All seemed very happy to move on from them.

Quality control was a big issue with the first generation. As ManiacLachy says, the gen 2 was a bit of a yawn to drive. I remember one friend moving onto a 135 and over it. The other to an M3, which was just amazing. I know there are a few 135 owners on the forum, but these anthems 235's seem to be the pick of the bunch for smaller drivers cars.

P

Alfadog
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Alfadog » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Stan, you know I bought one after the SP right?

As the other Lachy said, E89 is the 2nd gen and a bit lardy. They only came in folding hardtop. Manual was available as a no-cost option BUT super rare (again think GT/cruiser not sports car here) and not available on the highest spec sDrive35is.

Z4M is the one to get (but I'm biased :lol: ) but hard to find, only 103 M Coupes were brought in. I was looking for 4 years.

Img_6632s-anon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 pm

I could really dig the. Z4M coupe in Manual.
But that’s out of my price range. We’re talking in the vicinity of around 50 k right?
Not 25-35k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 am

StanTheMan wrote:I could really dig the. Z4M coupe in Manual.
But that’s out of my price range. We’re talking in the vicinity of around 50 k right?
Not 25-35k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why I went to the SE. Little did I know how hard the mod bug would bite!

But I think the market has bottomed out on the Z4M, I think you could run it for a while and not loose money, might even pick up a few bucks. They don't make cars like that any more!

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 am

I do still have Feenix...and it will eventually have a bit of poke, once Kracken gets his act together.

I was thinking of Historic plates for feenix....& when I need a real go....park the Beemer & let feenixs off the leash.

I'm ok with the Mazda 3. if is comfortable its also auto. I'm not too impartial to a GT cruiser...but then these are the famous last words.

I like the idea of the 3l retractable hard top.....but geez that Z4M would be nice.

But the Z4M Coupe, if I managed to get one would also be very special....probably not be dríven every day....so in practical terms.
The Z4 E89 3l cruiser (so to speak) is perhaps a sensible choice I love the retractable hard top.
The only thing holding me back perusing a Z4M convertible from the first generation is the ragtop.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am

Yeah, I don't feel like a Z4M, or any older M, is a good daily. It's a special times car, which is what Feenix is also, so :?:

You could look at SLKs, if auto isn't a deal breaker?

What's going on with Kraken? I thought he was shipping the low mounts already, and you were one of the first in the GB?

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am

ManiacLachy wrote:Yeah, I don't feel like a Z4M, or any older M, is a good daily. It's a special times car, which is what Feenix is also, so :?:

You could look at SLKs, if auto isn't a deal breaker?

What's going on with Kraken? I thought he was shipping the low mounts already, and you were one of the first in the GB?

Noah....I gotta chase him up. Not sure why they havent been posted. not in a real rush.

Unsure about the Automatic. deal breaker or not. I recall getting a V8 Commodore years ago in Auto. I realyy regretted that. I dont want to have that regret. but I'm about 30 years older now.

I Pointed out a Z4 coupe in traffic the other week. The wife's eyes lit up.....its a status thing. that's why I'm chasing it. So I'm trying to up the ante by Z4M.... :lol:

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 am

Alfadog wrote:Stan, you know I bought one after the SP right?

As the other Lachy said, E89 is the 2nd gen and a bit lardy. They only came in folding hardtop. Manual was available as a no-cost option BUT super rare (again think GT/cruiser not sports car here) and not available on the highest spec sDrive35is.

Z4M is the one to get (but I'm biased :lol: ) but hard to find, only 103 M Coupes were brought in. I was looking for 4 years.

Img_6632s-anon.jpg

Hey Alfadog. I had not realized. Ive kind of lost tougch with that group....but thats awesome. Very Happy for you......would love some comments how it compares to the SP?

I know they are very different cars. but for someone who has had both.....feel free to talk as much as you want.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 am

mmm Engine rattle.... will research that.

not intending on changing engines on a public street with a Z4.....

Return to “MX5 General Chat”