BMW Z4 Coupe

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: BMW Z4 Coupe

Postby Rocky » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Thought about these myself at one stage but Manuals are scarce and not interested in Autos. The Z4 is 'ordinary' and the Z4M is again scarce, expensive and hard to find in a Manual. Cayman is a better alternative although also expensive.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Z4 yells out mid-life crisis/lady driver car to me (as that's who I see driving them).
There always seems to be a 'fault' with each model of BMWs - I wonder if those problems are rare/over-blown? The older Z3 supposedly had problems with the rear cradle cracking.

StanTheMan
Forum legend
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StanTheMan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm

bruce wrote:Z4 yells out mid-life crisis/lady driver car to me (as that's who I see driving them).

:lol: for sure Bruce. I'm on my 4th midlife crisis since my 20's :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant deny that having a badge and where I'm at in life, has some influence on getting attracted by the Z4.
The wife is really who's driving the Idea....but she cant drive Manual :lol:

She just wants to be seen in it.....or open the garage door when the house is reread....to have a fancy Beemer in the Garage

but the M Coupe would be nice....but probably not happening.
There is one Z4M near me for around 35K in manual.....another up in QLD
Satans Ride called F33nix the resurrected NA6

Alfadog
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Alfadog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm

I've also been tracking Z4M values for 6 years :lol: Coupes in particular are tightly held - ~50-60k now - happy to share more details on trends offline.
You can see why they're desirable - last of the naturally aspirated, simpler direct mechanical cars.

That said, I reckon E46 manual M3's are the bargain right now. They just didn't feel "special" to me.

Compared to the MX5, the Z4M is obviously a lot more planted and generally capable, much nicer engine and clearly a more expensive car. Interior quality was not a strong suit for the E85, but with the extended leather option available on the M it is a very nice place to be (full leather doors/console). In terms of driving, where the SP gets a bit wild once you hit boost, Z4M is incredibly linear and stable. Not least in part due to the mass and longer wheelbase (though almost identical overall length).

That said, surprisingly it does feel cramped compared to an MX5 and since the limits are so much higher, when travelling at lower speeds it's not nearly as sharp or as fun as an MX5. You do have to treat it differently - with conviction and by the scruff of its neck. I do miss those low speed thrills though. You just can't get more smiles per gallon than an MX5!

NA6E86987-dimensions.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:30 am

Thanks Alfadog, interesting thoughts. I know what you mean about the E46, but it's still a favourite of mine, at least on paper and pictures. I dare say the Z4Ms are in better shape than the M3s in general, I think the M3 was the more practical usable daily car, while the Z4Ms were a little more special occasion, fun cars, and end up seeing less use.

StanTheMan, I completely understand leaning towards a GT/Cruiser, especially if you keep Feenix in the garage. I think you might have a hard time finding a manual though in the 2nd gen Z4, might need to go auto.

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 am

It’s going to have to be an E85
Will have to swing something to have the money ready if & when a coupe comes available.
Could be a while before the moons line up
50-60 k though.....pwoar

Looks like it’s time to put a picture up. Surround myself with things Coupe.... start saving furiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:26 pm

I drove a mates Z4 - US built car and it was really disappointing - poor ride and ordinary interior - not as good as my then NB- I did not look at any more after a drive in an NC. That gent also has an M later model and it's a vast improvement. Personally I would think a paddle shift auto is a far better choice in sports cars and makes them far easier and really a lot of fun- city or country. Perhaps the alternative to the Z4 used is a Boxster. Buying a Z4- depreciation says they can be affordable without astro KLMs same for Boxsters and you can easily pay more for a new overpriced twin cab!

yertimer
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby yertimer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:22 am

I have a friend who is a mechanic and regularly works on BMW Z4's. A very good car, and I think they are very tempting, but his advice is to check the vanos variable valve timing system as they're prone to failure - and can cause very expensive damage. Also FWIW he said the convertibles have a real problem with rust - water catches beneath the hood and sits there rusting the roof mechanism - can cost thousands to have it repaired.
He services sports cars in North Sydney, and said that the Nissan Z cars are also very good, and pretty much unbreakable. More of a GT car .... heavy and resale is not great. But they can be a very fun, very cheap used car.
I have a couple of mates with Boxsters, and they are great cars to drive. They also cost a lot to maintain, and parts cost the normal Porsche premium.
Really makes the MX5 a bit of a bargain.
NA8 94 Clubman

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:19 am

yertimer wrote:I have a friend who is a mechanic and regularly works on BMW Z4's. A very good car, and I think they are very tempting, but his advice is to check the vanos variable valve timing system as they're prone to failure - and can cause very expensive damage. Also FWIW he said the convertibles have a real problem with rust - water catches beneath the hood and sits there rusting the roof mechanism - can cost thousands to have it repaired.

Great info...the sort I was looking for.

will read up on the vanos VVT system

As far as the roof mechanism is...you are talking about the E89 Hard top convertible?

Looked at a Z4M E85 manual on the weekend....leather trim....underwhelmed with the condition of the leather & trim.

yertimer
Driver

Postby yertimer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Yes, I am talking about the hard top convertible. It seems that once they hit about 6 years old the sitting water can take a toll (at least here in Sydney). I was considering one, but he told me to be very wary of the hardtop convertible. If the lifting mechanism rusts I think you need to get a whole new lift unit from BMW, and if I remember rightly parts were well in excess of $5k, and with labour could be much more. I was told it was a major flaw in the design. I was also told the hardtops were problematic (expensive) for BMW to make and they were reverting to soft top convertibles. I don't know if this is correct but someone else is sure to know ether this is true or not.
In any case, the hardtop issue and potential Vanos troubles turned me off them.
Shame, because they go well, look good and I love those BMW motors!
NA8 94 Clubman

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm

The vanos doesn't seem so bad as long as the solenoids are in good shape & seals are replaced....or at least thats just from a little reading.
although at 100k km....you'd want them fixed by the sounds of things.

on the surface that seems like a minor problem to me. its probably like changing a timing belt at 100 k km.

haven't quite worked out what the engine failure means. They talk about O'rings failing in the Vanos pistons, should be reasonably easy to replace when purchasing a Z4M Convertible . Would probably be the first job along with oil filter & new oil

yertimer
Driver

Postby yertimer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Yeah, I suspect a little preventative maintenance would put one's mind at ease. That, and buying one that has a good service record and been well looked after is probably the key. Worth waiting for the right one to come up.
NA8 94 Clubman

StanTheMan
Forum legend

Postby StanTheMan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:17 pm

does anyone have anb opinion on theire cloth soft top?

how long its expected to last. what to look for?

The mechanism issue on the E89 is a good one to know.....but Ive gone off the E89 cause its hard to find in Manual. Decided I will not compromise on Manual. The standard Z4 sounds like its not a good choice. I want it to be Fun.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:52 pm

Alfadog wrote:I've also been tracking Z4M values for 6 years :lol:

I've only ever seen two Z4s on the rack, both at Philip Is.

One went backwards into the wall at Siberia. The other went backwards into the pit wall. Engine speared up into the radiator and bonnet in both. I trust neither was yours? :?
’95 NA8

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Soft top is a pain i.e. because the fabric is no where near as durable as a hard top . Glad to see the back of my soft top and dont see any advantage in having one- rather there were disadvantages. If you dont garage a soft top say nightly expect it to deteriorate a little too quickly. Bear in mind as well that for say a Z4 the auto is probably more sought after and women generally dont like autos - having a partner who can drive the car is a plus in my view. Z4's are certainly owned by enthusiasts - the car will also accomodate tall drivers. Re faults on Z4 or Boxsters- you have to check - you might expect higher repair costs but some folks just prefer a more up market car.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”