New member intro - Melbourne

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

kishigae
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

New member intro - Melbourne

Postby kishigae » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi all,

After a few months of looking ads and inspecting cars, I finally got myself a 2008 red NC with PRHT with 85,000 km. I was amazed at how quickly these sell, particularly in Victoria, where they don't last more than two or three weeks advertised.

Mine was residing in Brisbane, so our introduction was an intimate 3-day trip to Melbourne in early December. I am very happy with my new toy and excited about future mods. I am looking at changing the exhaust, wheels and maybe suspension. So any recommendations about these are welcome. So far I have fixed the lose sunvisor, changed the engine oil and fitted a new stering wheel cover.

The next one is probably going to be the eshaust. At the moment am inclined towards the GWR Super Q muffler as I am not looking at significantly increasing the exhaust sound, but just making it a more noticeable. I believe further changes upstream can help increase the sound if I wanted.

Look forward to exchanging info, photos and discussing all things MX5.

Cheers,

Rob

Gundagai.jpg

Grand Ridge Rd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 red NC PRHT - Instagram: @red.mx5

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Re: New member intro - Melbourne

Postby Mr Morlock » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:05 pm

depends on age and interest. If you are just driving the car for normal fun , doing country runs and living with it fairly regularly then a Goodwin muffler is very good and gives it a bit of a note - certainly more so than stock. Other mods - maybe drive the car and consider whats important-suspension mods are not for everyone including me- suburbia is full of so called traffic calming features - bumps and chicanes so a hard ride is no fun.

Rocky
Concerned Citizen.

Postby Rocky » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Welcome kishigae. Nice ride. Good looking car . You intend to track it? otherwise not sure why you'd want to mess with the wheels and suspension.
I was a young bloke once and owned several sports cars but never messed with the suspension. You get tired of a noisy exhaust and a rough ride real quick.
Foundation Member: Grumpy Old Bastards Club.

greenltd
Fast Driver

Postby greenltd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 am

Regarding wheels and suspension changes, ask yourself why? If for looks then go ahead. If for speed, tyres yes, and save some money and learn to drive your 5 to its ability. My observations are that 5's are better handlers than most peoples skill level, myself included in that. I am still growing my gonads to trust the car's ability. I have an NBB with SE suspension and get overtaken by stock NA6's. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:46 am

Welcome & congrats!
Ref exhaust, given your in Melb, Town & Country Exhaust Geelong have been supplying exhausts for MX5s for many years & have an offering for the NC.
Ref wheels & suspension, a bit more info about what you want to achieve will assist with ideas.

Jeo
Speed Racer

Postby Jeo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:00 pm

Quality colour. Welcome.

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:33 pm

The T&C exhaust is not the same as the Goodwin. The latter has the twin exhaust outlets the same as OEM design so the sporty version is fully interchangeable. . You can look on line to see US version.

kishigae
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby kishigae » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Thank you all for your comments. Regarding the exhaust, I am not looking for something too noisy, just something that is a bit more perceptible than the factory one. On the wheels and suspension, to be honest it is just for looks at this stage. I haven't dríven the car that much to feel the need to improve its handling, so they are not a priority. I have a few other bits and pieces to keep me entertained in the garage on the weekends (like a broken cup holder lid latch :x :x :x couldn't they have designed something simpler???)
2008 red NC PRHT - Instagram: @red.mx5

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 pm

Welcome to the obsession
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Return to “MX5 General Chat”