A MX5 SE Registry

MX5 Car Clubs of Australia

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, -alex, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

mobey
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

A MX5 SE Registry

Postby mobey » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:22 am

Hi Everyone,
I am the custodian of the Canadian (and Lava Orange) Mazdaspeed Miata (MX5) Registries and have recently started a registry website for the Australian MX5 SEs but it is very basic at this point. I would like to invite everyone to check it out.

Firstly, it is in it's infant stage so some pictures are basically fill ins for a template. To access, go to www.MSMCanada.net and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Aussie flag.

I would like to ask current owner's of SEs if you would be kind enough to o provide a picture, model, VIN and build date of your car as well as name and basic location to be included in this registry even if the car has been parted out/totalled.

I welcome any feedback, preferably by my email address at mastopping@bell.net

Thanks,
Michael "mobey" Topping

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: A MX5 SE Registry

Postby 93_Clubman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:44 am

Welcome - here's our MX5 SE Owners thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41980&start=255
Suspect this may be the limit of info many MX5 SE owners are prepared to make public.
Our MX5 SE & SP comparison page which includes ADM SE specs & numbers: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/SP_SE_Comparison/

mobey
Learner Driver

Postby mobey » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:17 pm

93_Clubman wrote:Welcome - here's our MX5 SE Owners thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41980&start=255
Suspect this may be the limit of info many MX5 SE owners are prepared to make public.
Our MX5 SE & SP comparison page which includes ADM SE specs & numbers: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/SP_SE_Comparison/

Thank you will attempt to contact individually.

KevGoat
Speed Racer

Postby KevGoat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:18 pm

The trouble is that as owners sell and move on, these registries (including our own CarTalk SE register) are not generally updated, meaning they are very unreliable. I'd love to see an accurate register of MSM's and SE's worldwide, and to know how many still survive, but this will never happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mobey
Learner Driver

Postby mobey » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:56 pm

KevGoat have a lttle faith.

We can't update something we don't have so the intial stage is to identify cars we can.
I can only speak to the Canadian Registry which was non exsistent 3 years ago to a database of 80% of the cars with a lttle if not all history on each. This was done without the help of Mazda who must adhere to the strict Canadian Privacy laws. I invite you to check out the site www.MSMCanada.net and drill down on the Owner's cars for more info.

The lava Orange Registry has been around for about 10 yeras but the data has doubled in just the last two years all of which is being maintained. The US market cars currently only have VINs, colour and in some cases models (too many cars for one guy to maintain I'm afraid) at this point. I would love to see a MSM/RT/SE Registry but can only bite off a little at a time.

Please email me your car's info (mastopping@bell.net) with a pic or two and that will be one less car to track. :lol:

Mobey

mobey
Learner Driver

Postby mobey » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi Everyone
The SE Registry webpage is now launched for all to see, click on the Aussie flag at TOP of website http://www.MSMCanada.netto view.
To date I have identified over 60 cars broken down by VIN, colour, model and included pictures as well. I intend to expand on this page down the road but for now am just trying to identify as many cars as possible. If your car is not in the Registry I would love to hear from you.

I would like to ask all SE owners (past & present) with any info to contact me via this forum or preferably via my email address at mastopping@bell.net.

Michael

Swile
Driver

Postby Swile » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:02 am

Hi Mobey,

Just wondering if the publicly available list needs to be so specific. For instance my vin has my full real name and town next to it. In this case the town is incorrect, but as own the only SE I know of in my smallish town it would be easy to narrow me down. I understand all this info can be found easy enough if you look around but it makes me feel uneasy to see it listed like that.

Dont get me wrong, I'm happy to have my car listed as still alive in a register. Just perhaps with a little more privacy.

Swile
F-Bomb 194rwkw built motor SE - Garrett, Megasquirt and Nitro Dann Power!

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Just entered some data for my car. Anonymised it a bit, I await how it looks when entered. I was surprised to see a photo of my car on the site already, but that goes with build threads and other posts on public sites.

WTF is the SE GT? Is this code for 'has a hardtop'? :frown:

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Yeah I'm still not sure how I feel about this list. Most info can be found if you search hard enough, but having names and suburbs in one list is a little off.
Have a list but lose the personal details please.
MeepMeep

mobey
Learner Driver

Postby mobey » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
In the interest at keeping people more at ease, in the latest update I have hidden the total VIN and just used the last 6 digits only.

Also, if you are uncomfortable with your full name being posted I offer two options;
Option A would be first name only
Option B would be to say “Owner’s Name With held Upon Request”.
Please let me know your preference ASAP via email, my address is mastopping@bell.net

It would also be appreciated if I could get the build date (NOT registration) stamped onto the firewall of your car

Specifically to greenMachine, in North America the cars referred to GTs have leather interiors & canvas tops, STD cars had regular cloth interiors. Is this not the designation used in Australia to differentiate? If not, I would appreciate knowing the terminology.

mobey
Learner Driver

Postby mobey » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:53 am

Hi Guys,
SE Registry has been updated recently currently over 100 cars documented with pics of most. I invite you to check it out https://www.msmcanada.net/copy-of-lava-orange-registry-1

Thank you for your support on this project

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:18 pm

mobey wrote:Hi Guys,
SE Registry has been updated recently currently over 100 cars documented with pics of most. I invite you to check it out https://www.msmcanada.net/copy-of-lava-orange-registry-1

Thank you for your support on this project

Please allude to what a GT is.
We only have one model in Australia. SE, that's it.
There was one factory option, black leather seats with red stitching, instead of the cloth seats with red middle.
Air conditioning was a dealer fit accessory, that's right it did not come standard.
Hardtops were optional as well. Not sure if they were an accessory or you had to order the car with it.

Also, as pointed out by others, I don't think you are legally entitled to put peoples names, suburbs and there car details up on the public web.
Personally I don't really care, but if the wrong person see's this I can see this all being take down.

Now onto the webpage.
The database is incorrect for my car.
The main background on the main page is a picture of my previous SE.
I sold that in February 2019.
That car is not VIN 555. It is VIN 288.
288 is a February 2004 build, March 2004 Australian Compliance. More about that further on, as this will screw your database.
The number plate NB18SE is not on that car anymore.
It now has number plate, DYU 39P.
I don't know who owns it, I heard the person I sold it to sold it 6 months later.
It is still in NSW and registered.

Now 555 is my current SE.
Purchased it in December 2018.
Titanium in colour.
It has the NB18SE plates on it.
I think the build date is April 2004. Will have to double check.

Now regarding build dates in Australia.
Cars delivered in Australia have 2 plates.
The Manufacturers build plate.
The Australian Compliance plate.
On a SE, both are on the firewall. Compliance is mounted in the right corner, build is inline with the intake manifold.
Both contain the VIN and a Date with month and year on them.
It is common practice for the compliance date to be used as the build date in Australia.
The reason is simply it makes the car appear to be newer. Pretty much every car dealer here does it.
There can actually be large difference between a build and compliance date.
I have a June 2008 build Peugeot, which has a May 2009 Compliance date. I have heard of even bigger difference than that as well.
Then our various state registration offices also then use one or the other. In Victoria my Pug was a 2008 model, in NSW it is a 2009.
Same goes for insurance. On my compulsory insurance(part of registration, aka green slip) it is a 2009. On my personal insurance it is a 2008.

On your database you really want the manufacturers build date, not the compliance date.
I can see on your list that some of the cars will definitely have the compliance date listed.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

Dervish
Learner Driver

Postby Dervish » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Luke wrote:Please allude to what a GT is.
There was one factory option, black leather seats with red stitching, instead of the cloth seats with red middle.

mobey wrote:Specifically to greenMachine, in North America the cars referred to GTs have leather interiors & canvas tops, STD cars had regular cloth interiors. Is this not the designation used in Australia to differentiate? If not, I would appreciate knowing the terminology.

As to Mobey's question, there isn't a terminology we use to differentiate between cloth and leather seat SEs. For the sake of having standardised information across the registries, I think "GT" and "STD" are fine. "STD" SEs seem to be pretty uncommon from what I've seen, most appear to have opted for leather (and the registry proves that).

mobey
Learner Driver

Postby mobey » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:49 pm

First of all I would like to thank you guys and gals for your feedback as updates/corrections will be necssary to make this Registry useful, your input is always welcome.

Please allude to what a GT is.
Air conditioning was a dealer fit accessory, that's right it did not come standard.
Hardtops were optional as well. Not sure if they were an accessory or you had to order the car with it.

The GT terminology is to distinguish leather interiors as mentioned previously.

Also, as pointed out by others, I don't think you are legally entitled to put peoples names, suburbs and there car details up on the public web.
Personally I don't really care, but if the wrong person see's this I can see this all being take down.

The majority of the information displayed is public knowledge, previously been posted to a website or volunteered by owners. I gladly offer to display the owner's names in one of three ways: a)full name, B) first name only or C) Name withheld to appease those not comfortable having their names displayed.

Now onto the webpage.
The database is incorrect for my car.....

Thanks for the details this all helps immensely, I will update your info shortly.

Now regarding build dates in Australia.
Cars delivered in Australia have 2 plates.
The Manufacturers build plate.
The Australian Compliance plate.
On a SE, both are on the firewall. Compliance is mounted in the right corner, build is inline with the intake manifold.
Both contain the VIN and a Date with month and year on them.
It is common practice for the compliance date to be used as the build date in Australia.
The reason is simply it makes the car appear to be newer. Pretty much every car dealer here does it.
There can actually be large difference between a build and compliance date.
I have a June 2008 build Peugeot, which has a May 2009 Compliance date. I have heard of even bigger difference than that as well.
Then our various state registration offices also then use one or the other. In Victoria my Pug was a 2008 model, in NSW it is a 2009.
Same goes for insurance. On my compulsory insurance(part of registration, aka green slip) it is a 2009. On my personal insurance it is a 2008.

On your database you really want the manufacturers build date, not the compliance date.
I can see on your list that some of the cars will definitely have the compliance date listed.

I am quite aware of the difference between the build date and compliance date and deliberately ask for the build date stamped on VIN tag not compliance in any emails I have as well as the input form on the website. For example all 2005 SEs were built in 2004 but being sold in 2005 would display a 2005 compliance date. I'm not happy to hear this is common practice for Dealers, the project has enough challenges.

If you know of any build dates that appear wrong please let me know so I can investigate.

If anyone has information/corrections/updates I would love to hear from you and would suggest contacting me via email due to the time difference as response time will be reduced. My email address is mastopping@bell.net

Return to “MX5 General Chat”